Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand brake problem, or should I say button???

Hand brake problem, or should I say button???

Can not get a clear answer and the owners manual did not clear things up greatly, was immovable for 3 hours because the button on the dash of my 07 Passat, would not release. RAA could not fix it, needed to call them anyway to have a tow arranged. Solitaires, service department where great, allowed it to be towed there to be fixed and I had the next service preformed as well. Problem is hill starts, owners manual advises that you can just drive off and the brake will release, my Passat has not read the book, I go not where, then read to push the hold button on the left of the consul, seems to automatically release and allow car to go, but the light stays on, is this correct? What ever happen to just a pull up lever? Peter.

This happened to my 07 TDI. Button had to be replaced after a year or so. An Achilles heel.

Quote Originally Posted by transporterq View Post
    Can not get a clear answer and the owners manual did not clear things up greatly, was immovable for 3 hours because the button on the dash of my 07 Passat, would not release.
    If you get stuck in the future, disconnect the battery for 5mins.. then try again. VW assist did this when my 07 Passat did the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by transporterq View Post
    then read to push the hold button on the left of the consul, seems to automatically release and allow car to go, but the light stays on, is this correct? What ever happen to just a pull up lever?
    Yes. You will find that with the "light" on your brakes will automatically hold when ever you come to a complete stop (Traffic lights, stop signs etc).

Agree with your comment on a normal lever though. I have had 2 Park Brake Buttons fail on my 07.
    Mk 7.5 Golf R

Thanks for that, hope not to use your advise of disconnecting the battery, fingers cross, only problem so far owing the car for nearly 10 months now. Only after thing I need to remember is to put diesel in, as it gives me around 1,000 km's per tank, it is easy to forget.

Users Country Flag
    Had a similar problem on my R36. Had to have a switch associated with the park brake replaced under warranty. Apparently a common problem.

Users Country Flag
    Definately a common problem.

A revised switch/button has been out for quite some time now, and most dealers usually carry them in stock. Best of all, it's only a 30 second repair.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Also had this problem although mine was intermittent ... ended up getting the button replaced under warranty. The Passat was a little over 2 yrs old at the time with about 80k kms under its belt.

Users Country Flag
    Been driving around an 09 Passat TDI for the past 4 weeks, love it to bits, but the push button brake issue is driving me nuts.
    Last service Solitaire said they couldn't fix the issue?!

| MY15.5 Mk3 Octavia vRS TSI | DSG | Black Pack | H&R Springs | 18" BBS RSII |

Quote Originally Posted by ozgreenman View Post
    Also had this problem although mine was intermittent ... ended up getting the button replaced under warranty. The Passat was a little over 2 yrs old at the time with about 80k kms under its belt.
    I had the same issue although my car is a little older (Dec0. The local dealer only took about 10 mins to identify the problem and replace the switch(but I had to wait over an hour before they would even look at the car in the first place)

Had same problem on my 06 model. Intermittent switch problem, only answer is to replace it.( if its any consolation it also happens on Bentlys')

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast