Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand brake problem, or should I say button???

Now have the Parking Brake Fault! messages on my MFD.
    The first time the parking brake would not engage, the light just flashed in the switch.
    Straight after the first fault I phoned closest VW dealer (Slaven VW at Belconnen) and was advised to take the car in for diagnosis.
    Diagnosed as faulty switch and told that a replacement switch would be ordered. That was on Friday 20 January.
    Have since had the fault three times, each time the parking brake would not release.
    Called in to the dealer this morning (30th), VW service advisor would check on the parts order and get them to phone me. No phone call yet.
    I have an Extended Warranty through Slaven, so should not cost me anything, though I am worried that I might get stuck before the replacement switch is available.
    Passat MY07 TDI (103KW) sedan; white; Dynaudio 600W; leather seats pack

Users Country Flag
    Most dealers carry the button on the shelf these days. I'm surprised they don't.

Maybe try Lennock's.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

update

Update: the Parking Brake Switch was replaced today, two weeks after the fault was diagnosed.

On Tuesday (31st) afternoon I tried to phone the VW Service Consultant at Gerald Slaven VW in Belconnen as he had not phoned me to advise whether they had the replacement switch. He was busy, so I left my details and was told that he would phone me.
    Having had no phone call from the Service Consultant, on Wednesday I phoned the Spare Parts section of Gerald Slaven VW and was told that the switch had not been ordered because they already had a switch in stock.
    A few minutes later the workshop phoned me and booked the car in to replace the switch on Friday (today, the 3rd of Feb). I also received an SMS confirming the booking. Then yesterday, the 2nd of Feb, I received another SMS reminding me of the booking "for a service on the 01(sic) FEB 12".

As they already had a switch in stock, it could have been replaced 10 days ago.

The cost, part and labour, of replacing the swith was $132.70 covered by the Extended Warranty.

I notice that Parking Brake Switch problems are discussed in http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...-52361-13.html :
    Quote Originally Posted by fgbaby View Post
    Hi all,
    (snip)
    Also experienced a problem with the electronic handbrake last week -could not release it, and button was flashing. Was told by VW that I would need it towed to workshop, but eventually brake released and I was able to drive the car without further incident until 3 days later when the above happened. Am told the two events are unrelated.
    Passat MY07 TDI (103KW) sedan; white; Dynaudio 600W; leather seats pack

Users Country Flag
    Yes, the park brake switch issue is quite common. There's an improved part out to resolve it.

In some rare cases, the control module for the electronic park brake fails in sympathy.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Its just on two and a half years since I posted on this thread and the park brake issue has resurfaced today on my R36. I've only just realised (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the switch that causes the problem is the actual button on the dashboard?

Has anyone purchased the switch themselves and done a DIY change out?

Users Country Flag
    It would be pretty easy to just buy the switch and replace it yourself. i would have just given up on warranty and done it myself, waste of time trying to get vw to do such a simple repair.

Users Country Flag
    Pull the end panel off the dash, and push it out from the rear.

Try and push it out square, because if you jag one of the metal retaining tangs, you'll have a hell of a time getting it out.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Sorry, too late.
    --

Users Country Flag
    Picked up a new switch and installed this morning but problem remains.

Not sure if problem is gone but need to reset the error.

Note: The park brake is working as you can here the servo operating when you push the button.

Users Country Flag

I ended up taking the car to the dealer before Christmas and they were unable to fix on the day. They put the problem down to a faulty park brake control module which they didn't have in stock.

Returned to the dealer today and they fitted the new module (Part No: 3AA907801H). No more alarm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast