Thread: First Oil Change

Users Country Flag

First Oil Change

Hi guys my Passat V6 is now 6 months old and has covered just over 3000kms, the MFA is reminding me that an oil change is due?

The car dealer wants to do it's first full service ie $439, but if its just an oil and filter change it does seem a bit excessive.

Should I just ignore them change the oil and filter myself, reset the reminder and get it serviced at 12 months as per the log book or has the wrong date been put into the MFA at delivery by the dealer.

Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire 76 View Post
    Hi guys my Passat V6 is now 6 months old and has covered just over 3000kms, the MFA is reminding me that an oil change is due?

The car dealer wants to do it's first full service ie $439, but if its just an oil and filter change it does seem a bit excessive.

Should I just ignore them change the oil and filter myself, reset the reminder and get it serviced at 12 months as per the log book or has the wrong date been put into the MFA at delivery by the dealer.

Thanks.
    I can't imagine that it's due at 3000km. So I guess it had a PDI long before you took delivery. Maybe one of the dealer techs can confirm how that is done.

I'd have a word with the supplying dealership to clarify.

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I have spoken to dealer and VW Australia and both have suggested I come in for an inspection service, but if all they are going to do is reset the reminder and waste a day of my time I don't think I will bother.

Just waiting for the service manager to ring me back to clarify what's required to be done.

Users Country Flag
    I'd be checking the production date, your car is probably over 12 months old, that's why the service reminder is ON. They really should've change the oil if you car was seating around for a 9 months.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Production date was 10 June 2013, arrived in Port Kembla 12/8/13 and delivered to me on the 22/8/13.

I would temporarily ignore the service reminder (and/or reset it if it annoys you) until after the first scheduled service is performed, which for your vehicle is due no later than 22/08/2014.

Users Country Flag

Why not inspect the oil is it appears clear and free from contaminants should it not be OK