Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSG issues

Users Country Flag

DSG issues

I've got a 09 Passat V6 4M with 45'000 on the clock and there may be some DSG issues. Twice in the last month it has not gone into gear from neutral. Both the same circumstances - sitting at lights, in neutral, I've put foot on brake and put it in D, but it just revved like it was in neutral and prompted me with the green "foot on brake" light despite my foot being on the brake. Eventually after a few minutes I got it in gear. I'm guessing worst case scenario is replacement gearbox - 7k+? I would be very p*ssed if this is the case considering the car is low mileage and has been regularly serviced at VW. I'm guessing if this did happen and I did try and argue with VW that a gearbox on a $55K car shouldn't go, they'll just tell me to take a hike?

Users Country Flag
    Take it into the dealership, get it diagnosed, and go from there.

Worst case scenario, they'll leave you to your own devices. Best case, they'll wear the whole lot. Especially with all the hysteria around DSGs failing at the moment.

I'm thinking given the age of the car, they'll probably wear the parts, and let you take care of the labour. The labour itself won't be massive. Even if they just replace the Mechatronics, it'll only be a couple of hours of diagnosis, repair, and re-learning.

All the best with it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Let me know how you go with your issue. I had a similar thing recently on my 2010 R36 with 60,000km where I couldn't get it in reverse - it just revved as if it were in neutral. However, it hasn't happened since. Hopefully it's nothing too serious, and VW will come on board to help out.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Take it into the dealership, get it diagnosed, and go from there.

Worst case scenario, they'll leave you to your own devices. Best case, they'll wear the whole lot. Especially with all the hysteria around DSGs failing at the moment.

I'm thinking given the age of the car, they'll probably wear the parts, and let you take care of the labour. The labour itself won't be massive. Even if they just replace the Mechatronics, it'll only be a couple of hours of diagnosis, repair, and re-learning.

All the best with it.
    I'll leave it for the time being, but if it starts happening on a semi-regular basis I'll take it in. I guess I'm kind of interested in VWs response and attitude to the volume of failed DSGs. Is it - "it's out of warranty tough titties" or are they now wearing some of the responsibility?

Quote Originally Posted by barnso View Post
    Let me know how you go with your issue. I had a similar thing recently on my 2010 R36 with 60,000km where I couldn't get it in reverse - it just revved as if it were in neutral. However, it hasn't happened since. Hopefully it's nothing too serious, and VW will come on board to help out.
    yup sounds like the same problem I had. I won't be speaking to VW yet, until it becomes a nuisance, it's only happened twice.I know car companies are notoriously reluctant to accept responsibility when it comes to manufacturing defects, basically if they say yes we designed the DSG poorly or used incorrect parts/manufacturing techniques then they are potentially up for millions of dollars in replacement gearboxes. Has anyone had any luck getting DSG work done for free outside of the manufacturers warranty?

Well there's quite a bit of interesting information online re DSG issues. China VW is offering it's customers a 10 year 160'000km warranty on DSG

VW Apologises To Chinese Customers Over DSG Woes, Extends Warranty | Motoren

Mr Harding said Australian-sold Volkswagens had the same DSG component as the cars that were recently subject to a recall in Singapore. China, Malaysia, Japan, Taiwan and the United States have issued recalls over the DSG.

Meanwhile, Sydney-based lawyer Brett Saunders is preparing a class action against Volkswagen Australia for mechanical failures. His client, unhappy Volkswagen customer Ross Peacock, and about 20 other owners may join the action over DSG issues and heavy oil consumption.

deleted
    Last edited by zed; 10-01-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Volkswagen confirms recall of Australian cars after power-loss complaints - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Volkswagen has announced a recall of its Jetta, Golf, Polo, Passat and Caddy models manufactured between June 2008 and September 2011.

The problem is reportedly in gearboxes, which will be replaced free of charge during the recall.
    Did you read the date in the article 12 June 2013 which was for the original recall of DSG DQ200 7spd boxes.

The car mentioned in the article in was a MANUAL so it is irrelevant to the recall.

Doesn't apply to 6sp boxes either
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Did you read the date in the article 12 June 2013 which was for the original recall of DSG DQ200 7spd boxes.

The car mentioned in the article in was a MANUAL so it is irrelevant to the recall.

Doesn't apply to 6sp boxes either
    Ah Ok. Just spoke to dealership and she confirmed that my Pssat was not subject to a recall, so I guess I will have to go through VW Australia if I do have issues.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Ah Ok. Just spoke to dealership and she confirmed that my Pssat was not subject to a recall, so I guess I will have to go through VW Australia if I do have issues.
    If you do a search on DSG problems on here you would find a weeks reading with umpteen threads about it and gazillions of replies.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast