Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DSG issues

Yea it does. Not having a foot on the brake when stopped at a light etc however is a safety issue.
    Takes a second or two longer for most people to reach the brake or accelerator with the foot off then it does when on.
    This is unsafe when you need to react to the person about to barrel into the back of your car, or to get out of their way...

Difinity

The only safety concern I have is that when you're using autohold your brake lights do not stay on even though the car is applying the the braking system to keep you stationary. If you get rammed from behind using autohold or not would not make any difference to the outcome.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW View Post
    Autohold saves you having to hold your foot on the brake at all when stopped. Very handy particularly in peak hour. Every car should have one. This is regardless of whether you drive the car in auto mode of manual.
    As said if I use it stop start doesn't work therefore I prefer to keep foot on brake and release it just as lights change and away it rolls smoothly
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    The pros far out weigh the cons. Your foot is never far away from either pedal & becomes a natural process once you become accustomed to it. If someone was potentially going to hit you from behind, I can't see how having your foot on the brake enables you to take better evasive action than having the auto hold enabled. Do you have a car with teh auto hold function yourdelf?

Quote Originally Posted by Difinity View Post
    Yea it does. Not having a foot on the brake when stopped at a light etc however is a safety issue.
    Takes a second or two longer for most people to reach the brake or accelerator with the foot off then it does when on.
    This is unsafe when you need to react to the person about to barrel into the back of your car, or to get out of their way...

Difinity
    MY12.5 B7 V6 Passat wagon in Mocca Anthricite with Panoramic sunroof, SatNav, Driver Assistance & Visibility Package, Adaptive Cruise, Park Assist 2, Auto Tailgate,Tint, Towbar & RVC

Users Country Flag
    I agree. Why couldn't VW have enabled so brake light stays on until you move off. I think this was an oversight as I was told by VW theintroduction of this button was from customer feedback on the uneasy feeling of rollback on DSG boxes from drivers that are only accustomed to traditional autos previously. Bloody muppets!

Quote Originally Posted by barnso View Post
    The only safety concern I have is that when you're using autohold your brake lights do not stay on even though the car is applying the the braking system to keep you stationary. If you get rammed from behind using autohold or not would not make any difference to the outcome.
    MY12.5 B7 V6 Passat wagon in Mocca Anthricite with Panoramic sunroof, SatNav, Driver Assistance & Visibility Package, Adaptive Cruise, Park Assist 2, Auto Tailgate,Tint, Towbar & RVC

Yes I do.
    Was always taught not to just rely on the electronics. I prefer to feel the brake pressure...
    As for safety, moving my foot from brake to loud pedal is about 1/10th of a second, whereas moving from the floor is about 6/10ths. I've known that to make a difference.

I guess the issue is about always being in control, recognising that the DSG is a type of clutch less manual with an auto override, rather than an auto with a manual override. They behave differently.

Difinity

Users Country Flag
    Mmmmm. I've never taken the time to actually test the time taken under either method...bit too busy

It has nothing to do with being in control or not. The auto hold maintains brake pressure. If the switch is turned off whilst you haven't got your foot on the brake to replicate that pressure the car automatically applies the park brake for safety. Again, it is pros & cons. I use the function 100 times a day for convenience vs the likelihood of a malfunction causing an accident being more like 1 in 1,000,000.

I was also taught to always be in control but like everything else our thinking evolves.

Yes I do.
    Was always taught not to just rely on the electronics. I prefer to feel the brake pressure...
    As for safety, moving my foot from brake to loud pedal is about 1/10th of a second, whereas moving from the floor is about 6/10ths. I've known that to make a difference.

I guess the issue is about always being in control, recognising that the DSG is a type of clutch less manual with an auto override, rather than an auto with a manual override. They behave differently.

Difinity

Yeah, true.
    I'm a bit conservative about these things I guess. Too many ACT drivers not on the ball and all that...

My original comment related to the difference between a semi-auto and a semi-manual...

Difinity

Users Country Flag
    Now that i agree with! Nothing can replace the drivers assessment of a situation & changing gears accordingly. BUT, it is a nice little comprimise to avoid the manual clutch use 5 days a week in peak hour traffic.

My original comment related to the difference between a semi-auto and a semi-manual...

Nearly everything in a modern vehicle is controlled by electronics - apart from the steering rack, manual gearbox and disc brakes, perhaps.

Certainly, automatic transmissions fitted in passenger cars (in whatever form) always takes away a layer of control from the driver.

So with that in mind, one might as well learn to fully embrace it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123