Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crankfoam

Crankfoam

Basically overfilled the engine oil of my 1.8t 99 A4 by nearly 500ml drove on the highway for around 60km before the music was turned down and heard the noise, the car then proceeded to the nearest highway exit at around 100km/h upon reaching the exit the car slowly died and now will spin but not fire. I have already dumped oil and replaced spark plugs still same issue first kick sounds like it goes to fire but doesnt is this now the cat converter?

Users Country Flag
    If it had a blocked cat it would normally start up ok and then slowly die as the pressure builds up. After you turn it off you can hear the pressure escape. Are you sure the oil level was the issue? 500ml isn't much.

Users Country Flag
    I wouldn't have thought that a 500ml overfill would be enough to do damage (especially in such a short timeframe) but who knows.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Passat my07 View Post
    If it had a blocked cat it would normally start up ok and then slowly die as the pressure builds up. After you turn it off you can hear the pressure escape. Are you sure the oil level was the issue? 500ml isn't much.
    Enough to fill into the crankcase and cause the oil to foam then the car died have replaced sparks and oil
    Will the car do anything when the key is turned if any major damage has been done

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAm...xsipOOyGVpVsHw
    https://www.twitch.tv/biscutmonkey
    Twitter BiscuTMonkeY

If the oil foamed enough to starve the bearings of oil flow you will have had a low oil pressure warning light come on the dash. If you continued to drive with no oil pressure then the engine would start knocking or rattling. I don't see how it could have affected the cat unless somehow heaps of oil was getting into the combustion chamber. If it had you would've noticed a big trail of blue smoke out the exhaust. I am no mechanic but if it now has the correct amount of the correct oil in it, then starting it and running it for a short while shouldn't do any more damage. If the bearings/big ends have run without oil then the engine will be rattly or have knocking sounds from inside the engine. If it sounds normal then it should be ok assuming you didn't drive with the oil pressure light on.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag
    Were the plugs oily? What did the oil look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Passat my07 View Post
    Were the plugs oily? What did the oil look like?
    Oil was filth dirty fish smell replaced spark plugs were doused replaced new spark plugs coped old stale oil put carb cleaner in cleared alot of stale oil up still not starting

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAm...xsipOOyGVpVsHw
    https://www.twitch.tv/biscutmonkey
    Twitter BiscuTMonkeY

Users Country Flag
    Have you checked for spark, fuel and compression?

Users Country Flag
    Yep, back to basics first.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Started this about a month ago finally have some
    Codes

I know what the codes are and judging by what ive seen i need to replace? The wastage bypass regulator valve or just check? And my camshaft position sensor is gone or i need a new distributor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast