Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18 inch versus 17 inch tyre

Users Country Flag

18 inch versus 17 inch tyre

What size of tyre would be better on passat 2009 tdi sedan?
    Anyone tried booth option before?
    currently, running 17 inch...

I was thinking about toyo teo plus..any suggestion?
    Last edited by saint70; 14-03-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Bit more information might help mate! That is, besides aesthetics...what else are you hoping to achieve.

Like any car, large wheelset generally offer less flex and therefore, better handling. Having said that, larger wheels and tyre type may also affect ride quality, causing a harsher rider.

I personally don't think that the ride quality will be conpromised by 18" wheels...but I am still rollin' on 17".

Users Country Flag
    Yes - need more info as to what you are seeking, looks or performance?

Going from 17" to 18" you will need to use a lower profile
    This will improve performance but will give a somewhat more harsh ride (may not notice it in the nice Passat)
    More importantly it makes you a little more vunerable to tyre/rim damage via pot holes

You may end up with a wider selection of tyres in 18" (225/40/18 for example)
    (My wife's Mazda3 has a wierd 215/55/17 - hard to get and costs more)

Toyo is not a tyre brand I would normally choose - are you looking for cheaper tyres?
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Yes - need more info as to what you are seeking, looks or performance?

Going from 17" to 18" you will need to use a lower profile
    This will improve performance but will give a somewhat more harsh ride (may not notice it in the nice Passat)
    More importantly it makes you a little more vunerable to tyre/rim damage via pot holes

You may end up with a wider selection of tyres in 18" (225/40/18 for example)
    (My wife's Mazda3 has a wierd 215/55/17 - hard to get and costs more)

Toyo is not a tyre brand I would normally choose - are you looking for cheaper tyres?
    I was thinking toyo is ggod brand...yes, i have passat 2009 tdi sedan...Currently running 17'' (bridgstone potenza adrenalin) ..happy with them..Should I stick with them again..
    regards

Users Country Flag
    The Bridgestone Potenza 040 and 050 are very good tyres
    I would think the 17" wheels/tyres complement the Passat comfort/handling nicely
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

probably i will go with potenca adrenaline again.. but 17'' will be more enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by saint70 View Post
    What size of tyre would be better on passat 2009 tdi sedan?
    Anyone tried booth option before?
    currently, running 17 inch...

I was thinking about toyo teo plus..any suggestion?
    I will assume the Passat is fitted with 235/45 R17 tyres.

Due to the poor state of our highways, a 235/45 R17 tyre would make for a better overall compromise than a 235/40 R18 tyre on a family car, in terms of both handling and ride.

Generally speaking, having to constantly slow down because of low-profile tyres that cannot effectively cope with variable road conditions, is not exactly what I'd call progress.

I was thinking toyo is ggod brand...yes, i have passat 2009 tdi sedan...Currently running 17'' (bridgstone potenza adrenalin) ..happy with them..Should I stick with them again..
    regards
    Certainly nothing wrong with the quality of Toyo tyres (Japanese manufacturer) but like all tyre manufacturers, they make a range of tyres to suit different requirements, so the consumer should choose accordingly.

The Teo Plus is a pleasant tyre, with an emphasis on comfort and low noise. The relatively new Proxes T1 Sport is a performance orientated tyre and a natural competitor to Bridgestone's Potenza range.

probably i will go with potenza adrenalin again.. but 17'' will be more enough for me
    Having said that, I recommend you stick to whatever you're happy with.

FYI, the Potenza Adrenalin RE001 has been superseded with the RE002.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    The Bridgestone Potenza 040 and 050 are very good tyres
    I would think the 17" wheels/tyres complement the Passat comfort/handling nicely
    Availability may be limited, as they have been superseded by the Potenza S001, but I agree that 17s are the go.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    I will assume the Passat is fitted with 235/45 R17 tyres.

Due to the poor state of our highways, a 235/45 R17 tyre would make for a better overall compromise than a 235/40 R18 tyre on a family car, in terms of both handling and ride.

Generally speaking, having to constantly slow down because of low-profile tyres that cannot effectively cope with variable road conditions, is not exactly what I'd call progress.

Certainly nothing wrong with the quality of Toyo tyres (Japanese manufacturer) but like all tyre manufacturers, they make a range of tyres to suit different requirements, so the consumer should choose accordingly.

The Teo Plus is a pleasant tyre, with an emphasis on comfort and low noise. The relatively new Proxes T1 Sport is a performance orientated tyre and a natural competitor to Bridgestone's Potenza range.

Having said that, I recommend you stick to whatever you're happy with.

FYI, the Potenza Adrenalin RE001 has been superseded with the RE002.

Availability may be limited, as they have been superseded by the Potenza S001, but I agree that 17s are the go.
    That was answer thank you

Users Country Flag

18 inch versus 17 inch tyre

Anyone know if there is any problem fitting a 245 instead of a 235 on the 18" Kansas rims?

Quote Originally Posted by PI27OL View Post
    Anyone know if there is any problem fitting a 245 instead of a 235 on the 18" Kansas rims?
    A 245/40 R18 tyre with fit on a 8.0 J x 18 wheel without issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast