Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 125TDI mods

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by dopey View Post
    Id love to know how you went about removing the trim to get to the DRL globes actually because I did look in the manual and it doesn't seem like the instructions are right
    I should have taken some pics when I had it apart dopey. But I'll try and explain as best I can.

- remove the one screw shown in the handbook.

- you would now expect that the surround would come away from this side, but it doesn't. DON'T try and prise it out from this side as it has lugs that slide into a recess horizontally across the bumper.

- you have to try and pull out from the other end. It has vertical lugs (i.e. lugs that push into the bumper rather than across it like the other end) that hold it in place. You can carefully pop the surround off around the edges in the middle to help with this.

- once you have it away from this end, you have to then slide the surround towards the centre of the car to free the lugs from the other end.

It does need a bit of effort to get the centre end out, but once you have, the screw end will just slide out.

Replacing it needs extra care. Obviously it's the reverse procedure. Locate the screw end with the lugs into the bumper, but only just - because you need to make sure that you have the lugs on the other end moving into the right position too. If you don't, you end up bending those lugs over and wondering why the surround won't seat properly (it's because you've bent them over). If you do this you can straighten them, but you risk snapping them off.

It's a little hard to explain, but the surround needs to pushed into the locating slots in the bumper, while at the same it has to be slid sidways to locate in those slots. You'll see what I mean when you do it. It's not a huge deal, just a bit of patience is needed -it's a crazy design, an extra screw at the other end would have been a whole lot simpler!

UPDATE: this is just to remove the surround - once this is off, you just remove the two screws that hold the actually light assembly in place.

Hard to photograph, but the result is worth it IMO:

Last edited by clip; 10-10-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Replaced all the interior lights with LEDs today too.

I have to buy a couple of extra spade LEDs and going to get some for the front park lights, so going to test the autolumination error free ones. I normally use the Blesks as they worked on the Tiguan, but tried them in the passat and I get a bulb out warning with them. See how these others go. If I have to use a resistor, I probably won't bother with replacing the park lights.
    Last edited by clip; 10-10-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Side mirror puddle lights

Has anyone replaced side mirror bulbs? I haven't had a good look yet (not mentioned in the handbook that I can find), but assume it will be the same as the Touareg?

Users Country Flag
    Good to see the mods rolling on John, I'll still talk to you Any interior pics? I'm considering the same trim colours myself. Maybe with the mocca anthracite on the outside tho
    2008 VRS Wagon. Yellow, very yellow!
    Forever blowing bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pullstarter View Post
    Good to see the mods rolling on John, I'll still talk to you Any interior pics? I'm considering the same trim colours myself. Maybe with the mocca anthracite on the outside tho
    Thanks mate! I'll take some decent pics this week (maybe tomorrow if I get time).

It's pretty quiet around here (not like the Tig forum) - and especially quiet in the mod area, so be good to get some more like-minded people to talk to

The mocca anthracite was my first choice - although I still haven't seen one in the flesh - but it looks bloody good in all the pics I've seen. Unfortunately, in typical VAG style, there was not much choice unless I was prepared to order and wait. I really wanted the sports pack too (seats and flappy paddles), but I would still be waiting for it! The pearl black is stunning though and the light interior suits it (as it would the mocca), and is a nice alternative to normal black and grey. The TDI and V6 get the better leather too, it's as soft as the preverbial and is very easy to keep clean. TBH, it's such a nice place to be in, and I'm really enjoying the drive - more than I can remember for a long time. It was the right choice for me.
    Last edited by clip; 11-10-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Hi clip, looks like you've been busy playing with the Passat! Can you tell me more about your audio system?
    What are you feeding the sub with? are you using the stock headunit? amp?

I'm looking at amplifying my stock speakers and want to keep it as reversible as possible - and I want to run the stock headunit

Thanks
    Main Dub:
    2010 Crafter Hanover Bus
    1956 Type 1
    2015 vRS wagon black on black

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like the right choice for you John. Had a look at a mocha anthracite last weekend, very nice colour indeed. I am having trouble looking at anything other than black though lol.

Now, how long before APR do a K04 kit for the V6....................................
    Forever blowing bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pullstarter View Post
    Sounds like the right choice for you John. Had a look at a mocha anthracite last weekend, very nice colour indeed. I am having trouble looking at anything other than black though lol. Now, how long before APR do a K04 kit for the V6....................................
    Didn't someone say they wouldn't go black again? But i agree, the black really suits it (still haven't seen the mocha yet though). KO4? V6 turbo? - yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by Lams View Post
    Hi clip, looks like you've been busy playing with the Passat! Can you tell me more about your audio system?
    What are you feeding the sub with? are you using the stock headunit? amp? I'm looking at amplifying my stock speakers and want to keep it as reversible as possible - and I want to run the stock headunit Thanks
    You shouldn’t have asked me this Lams, I could talk for days.

Why I did it: I like good sound and need it in the car as well as at home. Not after big volume and high SPL’s. I want detailed sound with tight bass and good imaging. The Passat is very quiet on the road and hoped this would reduce the need for high powered, big amped subs etc. – it was.

What I did:
    Retained stock headunit: Much better than previous model that I had in the Tig. Stronger, better mp3 decoding, but much better CD reproduction. Did comparison with 2 amps (after replacement speakers installed) and could not fault the sound quality at normal to loud levels of stock unamped unit. Stock headunit provides just enough power for me, so decided against amping speakers. Of course if you did want to spend $800+ on an amp, it would be better.

Speaker upgrade: You might not want to hear this sorry, but the speakers are the weakest link by far. They are still the 50cent drivers, and although sound OK and better than many other stock units, they’re just not up to it. If you amp these, you will blow them very quickly and I’d be surprised if you noticed any better sound quality. So for speakers I went for German Maestros. They are simply the best sounding car speakers I have heard. If you want detail, these are it.

I also Dynamatted the doors (worth every cent).

But of course in a car environment, they still missed on the lower end that gets cancelled out on the road. So I added the underseat sub. This is self powered, no need for external amp. Normally would not go in this direction, but against my better judgement I went for the Pioneer unit without testing (I figured at worse it would still provide some bottom end fill, and I could always drop in one the subs and amps I’ve now got sitting in the shed). I had it installed professionally (getting lazy). Result was much better than expected.

That’s about it. To summarise:

Retained stock head unit
    Replaced door speakers with German Maestros
    Added Dynamat on doors
    Added Pioneer underseat sub

I'm really pleased with the results and for the money, sounds way better than it should. TBH, I've spent twice this before and not got as good results.
    Last edited by clip; 12-10-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: too long!

Users Country Flag

I did notice the passat boot has a conveniently large pocket for sub placement I've been using Hertz speakers in the last 3 cars I've owned and absolutely love them. Not cheap but not super expensive either, great top end on the tweeters.
    Forever blowing bubbles.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast