Thread: Map updates for KAMIQ and SCALA with AMUNDSEN MMI

Users Country Flag

Map updates for KAMIQ and SCALA with AMUNDSEN MMI

Despite the dealers saying maps can only be updated by them, it can be done yourself.
    Heres how.
    Go to Update portal And put your VIN in and continue as below. If it says no updates for VIN or an error just go to the VW site

Volkswagen Map Updates And put in Tiguan 2020 for vehicle and Discover PRO for unit and it is the identical file to the Skoda one and you dont need a VIN to get it

Go to the AUS/NZ map and download to a HDD.
    Get a USB Stick of 4gb minimum and unzip the d/loaded file to it
    Put stick in USB C socket in car, turn ign on and wait for about 30 mins.
    Remove stick and reboot unit (or just turn ign off) and on rebooting it should show Navigation Database is now 21.2 (from 20.3)

CAUTION You either need a USB C stick or a USB A to C adapter as the Skoda's only have C sockets. I bought a very compact C stick from here to play my music with. Mine is a 64GB but smaller ones are cheaper. Took 2 weeks to arrive

Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

This may work in the same MMI unit across the SKODA range and is worth a try as it will either work or not and wont stuff anything up

Have fun working out solutions to what can or cant be done according to the Gods LOL
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 11-09-2021 at 12:00 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Can confirm this update and method works.
    Couple of notes however;
    Only needs to be a 2gb stick
    Needs to be formatted Fat32
    Only takes about 15mins before rebooting.
    Unfortunately there is no indication anything is actually going on, just stick it in, wait 15min and reboot.
    2021 Kamiq Monte Carlo
    1.5 DSG Moon White

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by mummbles View Post
    Can confirm this update and method works.
    Couple of notes however;
    Only needs to be a 2gb stick
    Needs to be formatted Fat32
    Only takes about 15mins before rebooting.
    Unfortunately there is no indication anything is actually going on, just stick it in, wait 15min and reboot.
    Agree but who has 2gb sticks any more LOL. As its over 1.75GB I would recommend 4gb as minimum after all the problems people seem to have getting 29.5gb VW maps on a 32gb card

My unit actually said when I first tried "this procedure is not activated at this time.Please wait" and buffered away for ages

I used a stick with a LED so knew it was working

Good to see you guys are getting headways with this. Since the VW group switched to the MIB3 without over the air updates like other markets support to do it your self have been very poorly communicated to not only owners but the dealer network.

Some additional tips I have found with the T-Roc:
    Grab yourself a dual drive USB stick, I went with a Sandisk Ultra Type C. That way you can plug it into your computer directly, fill it up and then plug it into the USB-C slot of the vehicle. I found that using an adapter could sometimes be hit or miss.

The MIB3 maps on the VW map update page are the same across various models - Golf 8, Passat, T-Cross, T-Roc, Tiguan from 2020. Discover Pro or Discover Media are the same files.

If you are not seeing any action with your update via the USB-C than leave it in the slot for a couple of days driving, as it will do its magic behind the scenes.

Now the next big task - trying to activate live traffic reports. This damm MIB3 does not support FM radio RDS via Suna anymore. It is delivered via the web.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper Dog View Post
    Good to see you guys are getting headways with this. Since the VW group switched to the MIB3 without over the air updates like other markets support to do it your self have been very poorly communicated to not only owners but the dealer network.

Some additional tips I have found with the T-Roc:
    Grab yourself a dual drive USB stick, I went with a Sandisk Ultra Type C. That way you can plug it into your computer directly, fill it up and then plug it into the USB-C slot of the vehicle. I found that using an adapter could sometimes be hit or miss.

The MIB3 maps on the VW map update page are the same across various models - Golf 8, Passat, T-Cross, T-Roc, Tiguan from 2020. Discover Pro or Discover Media are the same files.

If you are not seeing any action with your update via the USB-C than leave it in the slot for a couple of days driving, as it will do its magic behind the scenes.

Now the next big task - trying to activate live traffic reports. This damm MIB3 does not support FM radio RDS via Suna anymore. It is delivered via the web.
    I didnt buy a double ender as I wanted to leave it in there to play the music and the adapter and a stick was too high and could get bumped. The one I linked to is only 12mm above the console and rounded so is better..

I did try the drive around for a few days trick but didnt work for me.

Am trying to get speed signs in dashboard but not working so far.

NEW MAP on the SKODA Portal today Version HIGH12_P99_ROW_202145.zip FOR DISCOVER PRO & MMI2
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 24-10-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Another one already?
    2021 Kamiq Monte Carlo
    1.5 DSG Moon White

Quote Originally Posted by mummbles View Post
    Another one already?
    Nope not for the Amundsen which is only 2gb in size