Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wind noise from driver's window

Users Country Flag

It looks like this is a common problem. I have a constant creaking from the driver door which seems to go away some what, if the window is slightly down. It's driving me crazy.

Hi guys,

going to have to wait another week im afriad. Weather very bad today so my meeting with the dealer has been pushed to next Tuesday. In any case, i found at the bottom of the driver (and passenger door) 2 black screws (Allen keys), i read on another forum (audi actually) that if you turn these screws anti clockwise it's supposed to lift the window up a bit when its fully closed (clockwise makes it go down). So i might just give that a go if i get a chance as im sure that my problem is that the window is not going all the way up fully to complete the door seal. The problem i have is that where i live, there is no where i can go up to 100kph easily to test so i have to drive quite far, stop somewhere, test these screw things, then drive..come back..etc etc. Perhaps one of you can do this easier?

Users Country Flag
    Try this - put a piece of tape on the outside of the upper corner of the window. Leave a long tag of tape hanging inside the window, so that when you are driving a passenger (*cough*) can gently pull the tape - this will pull the window slightly harder against the seal and help determine if that is the cause of the noise (being insufficient closure pressure). BMW had a similar issue back in the day with the old 6 series coupe. Solution was to pack out the rubber so it artificially sat an oomph-gram further out from the body, to cut the hollow neoprene and insert a packer to stiffen the rubber molding, or to fit the resigned seal which bmw eventually developed.

Frameless doors look nice, but they come with compromises (and risks0. One of those being th inherent lack of rigid connection between the door and the window. Unless the engineering is absolutely spot-on, noises happen.

my advice is to do the little test (above), video the result, and take the info to vw Aus. Badger them about it, and badger the dealer. A solution won’t be developed by the factory unless enough noise is made (pardon the unintended pun).

of course, if vow have built in some adjustability (per the screws mentioned in the post above) then it could simply be a matter of adjustment via warranty following a period of settling in (since the window mechanism is mechanical, and all mechanical mechanisms will wear and have tolerances).
    Last edited by doc_777; 13-09-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Have you tried fitting slim weather shields ? should stop and out side noise ,

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Have you tried fitting slim weather shields ? should stop and out side noise ,
    frameless windows...
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Well that put an end to that idea . Can you get a piece of Whipper snipper cord and put it behind the rubber seal ,which would bring to rubber out more ?

Sorry for the delay guys. Basically the noise i hear is 'normal' and is caused by the mirrors. It can be heard on both driver and passenger sides, but only after 100kph and if the radio is off..

The dealer told me this is normal and would not be heard if you pay for the additional Acoustic pack, which for an additional £500, had i known, i would have paid for it. Basically the windows are double glazed. Anyway, at least i know its not a seal/door/window issue and quite frankly it does not bother me that much since i always have the radio on anyway!...

Users Country Flag
    What's an acoustic pack?

Funny thing is... in my car, my wife can't hear anything at 100kph+ on the passenger side. The sound is only on the drivers side, and it's definitely from the upper back corner of where the glass meets the body of the car (well for me anyway).
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Basically it adds double laminated windows. I hear the sound from the direction of the mirrors and to be honest its very faint and it can definitely be heard on the passanger side too.

Look under your door, there are 2 screws. One adjusts the hight of your window when closed, the other adjusts the angle. Im guessing your issue might be an angle one. Try turning them see if you can adjust the window fit.

Users Country Flag

I have had a similar wind noise coming from the drivers side window of my Arteon. The sound increased with speed and was high pitched, like a seal was broken around the window. After several visits to the dealer to identify the problem I have finally had the issue resolved.

The problem was that the felt seals on the drivers side door (the ones at the bottom of the window on both the inside and outside of the glass) had come away from the door under the door trim. The air that was forced into the chamber and up the inside of the window to assist with demisting was being forced through the gap between the seal and the door.

It was a really simple fix once it was identified, a bit of felt tape to re-attach the seal and the sound is gone. Hope this helps, I know how annoying the sound can be!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast