Thread: vinyl tape for chrome grill - good brand to buy

vinyl tape for chrome grill - good brand to buy

Hello All.

looking to do some chrome blackout on the grill and asking if anyone has done this and brand they sourced online that holds up well and stays in place?

Thanks Messy

Users Country Flag
    As long as you buy a good quality brand (Avery, 3M, Vvivid etc) then you will be fine. I know Vvivid sell the vinyl in a narrow roll specifically for doing trim pieces like grills/window trim etc.

Just avoid the junk on places like ebay.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I blacked-out the middle horizontal sections of the grille and bumper opening on my B8 Passat about 9 months ago (same platform as the Arteon, albeit with a much more traditional bumper and grille design).

Whilst I appreciate that 9 months isn't that long, it has been exposed to the elements during that time and still looks great.

I used a 150cm x 30cm piece of Vvivid gloss black vinyl which I cut to size.

As Lucas_R has mentioned, a narrow pre-cut roll would be easier to implement.

Users Country Flag
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks for that info guys, i will checkout the link and see how i go.

Users Country Flag
    Yep, that's the way to go.

How'd you go with the tape? Keen to see the results! I'm considering getting some myself.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Current: MY2018.5 Arteon R-Line (white) - APR Stage 1, APR DSG tune, Sound & Style package, sunroof
    Past: MY2012 Passat V6 Highline Wagon (Icelandic Grey)

I ended up doing a test run with some from ebay New Car Vinyl Wrap Gloss Black Glossy Sticker Film Decals Air Release Vinyl Wrap | eBay

wanted to see the outcome and learn any lessons before spending the larger cost.

it has been on the car for a few weeks now and holding great, been through plenty of rain and washes and still in place.

will grab a pic shortly
    Last edited by messy_smith; 21-09-2022 at 05:10 PM.

quick pic of the grill. had 2 attempts, ran out of tape to cover end to end. but more confident to buy more expensive tape without wasting too much.

vinyl tape for chrome grill - good brand to buy-img_0044-jpg