Thread: Towing wiring

Users Country Flag

Towing wiring

Hi All, I purchased a 2019 Arteon in January this year, which I am really enjoying. I did have a tow-bar fitted by the dealer, there was no Factory option, the dealer got a kit from Towbars Australia in Qld & fitted up & tows fine. The issue I have is when towing & I attempt to reverse the brakes continue to apply unless I turn off "maneuver braking". I assume this is because the wiring kit provided is not sophisticated enough to tell the cars electronics that it has a trailer on the back. I have checked with Towbars Australia & the thought what was happening was to be expected with there kit. Does anyone know of a possible solution ? Do I need to purchase a genuine wiring kit from overseas ?

Users Country Flag
    Hi oldstuff,

I also purchased a towbar from Towbars Australia, instead of using their wiring kit I had the towbar and factory CAN controller installed by Autofidelity in Melbourne, this also requires coding of the body controller which enables the auto reversing with trailer and a bunch of other functions.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi DatEon, I am i Sydney so the Autofidelity route is not an option, were did you get factory CAN controller from ? Hopefully someone in Sydney might offer the same service as Autofidelity.

Users Country Flag
    Autofidelity supplied the module and wiring kit, apparently this module is the same for all VAG cars.
    Might be worth contacting them to see if they know someone in Sydney.

Thanks will do.

Users Country Flag
    This answer may somewhat be confusing, Australian Towbars and Performance in Qld sell Wesfalia Towbar kits for VAG Vehicles - they also have wiring kits, maybe worth a look.
    R36 Wagon MY2010.5: Biscay Blue| Dynaudio and Nav| RVC| VW tow bar|
    Mod highlights:
    ECU and DSG Tune| 3AA CCM and 7N0 Gateway| 3D colour MFD| MIB2 retrofit and 7N0 RVC| Quad LED tail, brake and indicator rings| Zimmermann Sportbrake rotors, composite pads| TPMS High| 2Q0 Blind Spot and RCTA| B8 rearview mirror|

Hi MMR36, The kit on my car came from Australian Towbars with the towbar, I contacted them about my problem in case the dealer had not installed correctly. When I described my issue the guy there he believed that was the expected outcome as the wiring kit & module supplied bu Australian Towbars was not an OEM one.