Thread: Tinting sunroof - question?

Tinting sunroof - question?

Hello there.

I was trying to get the Arteon sunroof tinted to deflect heat and blacken a little more. However I have been turned away by 2 installers suggesting they don't do it. Asked why, all they said was policy of their companies.

They could not elaborate on why this was, so i am just curious if anyone could shed some light on this?

Many thanks for any input.

Users Country Flag
    Because it can cause it to crack or even explode
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Thanks, never knew that so learnt something new today, not sure why they couldn't tell me that.

Users Country Flag
    Ive had several sunroofs tinted without any issues, but also been advised by tinters that it can cause the sunroof to crack. Not sure how this could possibly be the case, but thats what they said. Mind you, with several cars the tinters have said they will not tint the sunroof.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 23-02-2022 at 07:53 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I've been wondering the same, why would it cause that?

I can only think that being flat ontop and in the sun it cops more sun?
    Doubling the rays as they reflect back could do something??

But how is that different in a lift back? Does the angle make that much difference? Is it structurally weaker or something??

I'd love to hear if there is anything approaching a scientific answer.

Here is one interesting line:
    4 Myths About Tinting a Car Sunroof - Ceramic Pro

Myth #2: A tint will shatter your car sunroof

Answer: Most cars are tougher than you think. The windows all around you, from the sides to the windshield and rear window, are made of laminated, shatterproof glass with rounded edges. However, your sunroof is made of tempered glass that will shatter so that heat is dispersed evenly. When the temperature drops, it holds shape, but in the event of an accident, the rigid surface will shatter on impact. Since the glass is made to shatter, it will crumble under pressure, whether it is tinted or not. If the manufacturer builds a sunroof that is not designed to shatter, a tinted sunroof will not give way.
    From wider reading, it supposedly can effect the way heat across the glass is spread which can in turn cause the glass to crack/shatter.

Mostly what I read says to just close the shade if it's too hot and sunny
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 24-02-2022 at 05:07 PM.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Heat reflective ceramic tints will amplify the thermal effects on tempered glass allowing it to expand and contract faster than that of laminated glass. The events of shock, vibration or pressure will cause failure points within the glass.

Non ceramic tints don't result in such extreme variations, but that type of tint only provide visual enhancement, not of any use to reduce heat from the sunroof.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI