Thread: Sunroof Rattle

Users Country Flag

Sunroof Rattle

So, after a bit of driving it seems a lot of the squeaks and rattles are coming from the sunroof - most of it goes away with the sunroof tilted/open.

I opened it up to take a look today and the part pictured below was stuck to the roof and had lifted out of the moving (glass) side where it is supposed to plug in. I checked the other side and that one is missing altogether. Have put in some temporary foam pads to stop the plastic on plastic tapping and movement... I have also ordered some Krytox lubricant to reduce the rubber squeaking. Does anyone know where/how I can find a new one of these rubber sunroof pads/feet?

Sunroof Rattle-20220426_161310-jpg

It still has a suspension rattle on certain bumps (possible lower control arm bushing). Talking with the tuning shop atm about some performance replacements. Got some work to do, but I think the Arteon will come up really nice when I'm eventually done with it.
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Took the car to VW for an inspection yesterday - sunroof needs lubricating (as expected) and they can't source the rubber foot to replace the one that fell out. I'll try Clark Rubber, or ebay (long shipping times), or maybe even create a wax cast and make a couple custom replacements out of silicon rubber or polyurethane perhaps... Krytox lubricant is in transit, which should come in handy for any noisy rubbers.

Also, the "suspension" rattle was actually a loose break pad. It seems someone fitted non-genuine pads - it's still drive-able, but needs replacing (performance upgraded brakes would be nice, but further down the list atm).
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits

Found some replacement stopper grommets at Clark Rubber (as suggested by the guy at VW). I had a go at making some using gasket silicon and wax molds (images below), but ended up finding a suitable option at the store. They came with rounded tops, but with a little trimming and sanding they fit great and stop a lot of the squeaky movement - (non-stocked) OEM on left, replaced with the one on right (x2)

Sunroof Rattle-20220508_131505-jpg

It's much quieter now. Just waiting for the Krytox and then expect it to be solved.

Attempts using gasket silicon in wax and builder's bog molds:
    Sunroof Rattle-20220430_223125-jpg Sunroof Rattle-20220508_131442-jpg
    A tip for anyone trying this at home, add small amounts of silicon at a time, otherwise they don't cure in the bottom and make a mess. I also added some plastic (whipper-snipper) cord to strengthen the stems - was worried about having one snap off.
    Last edited by nermal; 08-05-2022 at 01:43 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Nice one MacGyver!

Quote Originally Posted by REK View Post
    Nice one MacGyver!
    heh! thanks

That approach should also work for re-creating various rubber parts that can't be ordered - hopefully someone finds it useful one day. If it were hard plastic, I probably would have tried a 3D printer ... hmm... I wonder if you can 3D print rubber?

Krytox (part# G052172A1) arrived today, I'll wait for everything to dry out a little and then apply some to all the rubber squeaks (supposed to be good for door rubbers too). I ordered 30ml on Amazon for ~$50 (shipped from Germany - 2-3 weeks postage time): Amazon.com

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nermal View Post
    I wonder if you can 3D print rubber?
    You can get different grades of TPU filament that are flexible like rubber, I wonder what firmness would be needed for parts like that.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    You can get different grades of TPU filament that are flexible like rubber, I wonder what firmness would be needed for parts like that.
    It's quite firm/hard, so that may work.

I applied the Kryrox and it seems very quiet so far, though I won't know until it stops raining for a bit (it's usually worst a day or so after raining).

Applied the Krytox yesterday and so far no noises

It's pretty magic stuff.. a few drops go a long way and I've only used a few ml to do all the sunroof and hatch rubbers. Will probably do the door rubbers too.

Rubber went from dry and grey to smooth/soft and black - like new. I just applied a (very) sparingly-thin bead to the top of the rubbers and then smoothed it out using a q-tip.

The 30ml bottle was only ~$50 from Germany and should last for years - also quoted ~$150 locally from VW. Highly recommended.