Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stage 1 vs stage 2 - cost, gains

Stage 1 vs stage 2 - cost, gains

Picked up a 2018 Arteon a few months ago, already had stage 1 APR tune & DSG tune installed by previous owner. It seemed delightfully quick compared to the R36 it replaced, but now I'm used to it... such is the curse of quick cars, they only feel quick for a limited time.

From what I understand there's a massive, easily noticeable difference (like 30% increase in power) when applying stage 1, which is like $1k, but then you spend more and get less with progressive tunes. Is that right? Can anyone offer insights into what the next steps are, how much power they add and what they cost? Does the res delete make it hideously noisy (as I do a lot of freeway driving, that would drive me nuts)?
    Current: MY2018.5 Arteon R-Line (white) - APR Stage 1, APR DSG tune, Sound & Style package, sunroof
    Past: MY2012 Passat V6 Highline Wagon (Icelandic Grey)

Users Country Flag
    In my opinion and experience, stage 1 is definitely worth it - but stage 2 is such a small increase over stage 1 that its not really noticeable (except for your wallet being significantly lighter). Stay stage 1 or go to stage 3 (bigger turbo) would be my advice.

Also note, seeing you are currently tuned with APR, that APR no longer offers a stage 2 tune. So in addition to the parts required for stage 2 (intake / downpipe / intercooler) you also need to fork out $1.2-1.5k approx to move to a different tuning company who offers a stage 2.

My buddy used to have a Mk7 Golf R which as you probably know has the same engine and turbo as the Arteon. He got both stage 1 and then later stage 2 with APR and his car (tested on the dyno) went from 182kw to 224kw with stage 1 which was quite impressive. Then with stage 2 it went from 224kw to 236kw.....hardly worth it considering the cost of all the parts.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by gableguy View Post
    but then you spend more and get less with progressive tunes.
    I reckon this is fairly accurate. You quickly get diminishing returns for your $ as you push further into modifications.

Lucas makes a great recommendation that a turbo upgrade will probably net the biggest returns. You might get a touch more lag but you can run a decent amount of extra boost. To go beyond this you might be looking at expensive support mods such as: bigger injectors, fuel pump, etc.

Bang for buck I wouldn't overlook handling mods like sway bars or springs.
    Last edited by Vedi; 27-05-2022 at 02:10 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I have the Racingline Stage 1 and currently considering/planning Stage 2: VW Golf R, S3, TTS, Leon Cupra Tuning Software Remap | RacingLine

Stage 1 vs stage 2 - cost, gains-table-png

My understanding is that Stage 2 provides a decent torque increase along with better throttle response (less turbo lag etc)? IIRC - someone posted something along those lines in another thread (arteon performance mods perhaps?).

The performance hardware upgrades I'm looking at for Stage 2 include an intercooler and catted downpipe (with ceramic heat-shield coating) - these will improve exhaust flow/spool up, air intake and reduce heat. So the throttle-response argument makes a lot of sense.

The way I see it, these are required for Stage 3 anyway and my understanding is that tuning 'upgrades' come free with the Stage 1 package.

BTW - I can really recommend the DSG tune to anyone considering an ECU tune. Makes the car much more drive-able everyday, when you're not trying to push additional kWs out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vedi View Post
    Bang for buck I wouldn't overlook handling mods like sway bars or springs.

.. yeah, can highly recommend the sway bars too - much better handling!
    Last edited by nermal; 27-05-2022 at 02:28 PM.
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon

Thanks all - confirms my suspicions. Stage 2 is only worthwhile if you have decided to definitely take it to stage 3 afterwards, otherwise it's a lot of spend for ~6% power & ~12% torque.

Sway bars... Hmmm. Perhaps! I quite like the current ride/handling ratio, I don't drive that enthusiastically very often. But worth considering. I'd probably upgrade the brakes before that though. I hate how dull they look when the rest of the car is so schmick.

Maybe I'll convince the missus to tune her X5 instead... I'm willing to bet that 4.4L twin turbo V8 has some headroom to play with...

Users Country Flag
    the difference between stage 1+ (stage 1 tune + sillicon intake and turbo elbow) vs stage 2 is like 15 - 20hp... the question u need to ask is do you wanna pay the $1000+ for a downpipe and possibly a blown turbo with APR stage 2 which i dont even think is available anymore because of the blown turbos... and whatever the costs to upgrade the tunes ...

you might want to look at small mods like the turbo elbow and hose to increase throttle response and other things to tighten up the drive.. its a pretty big car.. if it drives like the stock passat 206 it feels a little bit 'long' id be targetting that instead of just adding more power... what u gonna do with it?

p.s you also need to install an upgraded IC for stage2...

u might want to be looking at doing that anyway before doing the DP and stage2.
    Last edited by amunra; 31-05-2022 at 12:56 PM. Reason: ps

Users Country Flag
    Hi, I am going from a stock car 2018 to a full stage 3, i can tell you what the difference is hopefully in the next few weeks, I have been waiting like 2 months for all parts to come in from overseas, I am going going all in around 25k worth, upgrading everything & the kicker is going with flex fuelling, hoping to see 350kw+ at the wheels. The company tuning are getting that now in Golf's so should be no probs in my Arteon. Looking to run into the 10 second quarter mile times, well that's the goal.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by BO11OS View Post
    Hi, I am going from a stock car 2018 to a full stage 3, i can tell you what the difference is hopefully in the next few weeks, I have been waiting like 2 months for all parts to come in from overseas, I am going going all in around 25k worth, upgrading everything & the kicker is going with flex fuelling, hoping to see 350kw+ at the wheels. The company tuning are getting that now in Golf's so should be no probs in my Arteon. Looking to run into the 10 second quarter mile times, well that's the goal.
    why is it costing 25k.. lol

Users Country Flag
    $25k is cheap to get a modern production road vehicle costing what an Arteon costs to a 10s drag vehicle...
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BO11OS View Post
    That is AWESOME! Look forward to hearing how it goes for you =D

I'd be interested to know which parts you sourced and from where - I'm currently planning stage 2 and looking at things like intercoolers, catted downpipes and brakes (going the slow route to stage 3).
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast