Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stage 1 vs stage 2 - cost, gains

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Manaz View Post
    $25k is cheap to get a modern production road vehicle costing what an Arteon costs to a 10s drag vehicle...
    i asked why.. whats he getting done.. full engine rebuild?

Users Country Flag
    Your "lol" at the end of it made is sound like a less genuine question. Fair enough though!
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    Your "lol" at the end of it made is sound like a less genuine question. Fair enough though!

and. you going to ban me?

Users Country Flag
    No, I am going to explain to you why I answered your post the way I did...
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    No, I am going to explain to you why I answered your post the way I did...
    can u answer why hes spending 25k for stage 3

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    can u answer why hes spending 25k for stage 3
    No, that's for him to answer. I could guess (and it'd be an educated guess), but ultimately, it'd just be guessing. As I said, the "lol" at the end of your original question made it look like it wasn't a serious question, and I responded in line with that view. I apologise for making that mistake.
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    No, that's for him to answer. I could guess (and it'd be an educated guess), but ultimately, it'd just be guessing. As I said, the "lol" at the end of your original question made it look like it wasn't a serious question, and I responded in line with that view. I apologise for making that mistake.
    Make a guess then... thats what this forum is about isnt it.. a discussion ?

lets see how close you can get to what this guy is actually getting

Users Country Flag
    OK, my guesses...

Beyond regular stage 3 upgrades (larger turbo, larger intake, larger intercooler, tune, possibly work on heads/valves/cams), some toughened parts (I wouldn't consider forged pistons and new gaskets and head bolts a full rebuild, that generally also includes work on the bottom end).
    He already mentioned flex fuel, which likely means bigger/better injectors are involved (as stock injectors may not flow enough for E85 and the power levels it allows). Possibly fuel pump and FPR upgrades as well.
    Producing power is one thing, getting it to the ground reliably is another. Wheels and tyres (semi-slicks perhaps), brake upgrades (power upgrades without brake upgrades are nasty) Haldex upgrade possibly to help get the power down to all four wheels.

More power's going to be required to get an Arteon into the 10s than to get a Golf R, as the Arteon's heavier and thus all other things being equal, acceleration's going to be slower.
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    OK, my guesses...

Beyond regular stage 3 upgrades (larger turbo, larger intake, larger intercooler, tune, possibly work on heads/valves/cams), some toughened parts (I wouldn't consider forged pistons and new gaskets and head bolts a full rebuild, that generally also includes work on the bottom end).
    He already mentioned flex fuel, which likely means bigger/better injectors are involved (as stock injectors may not flow enough for E85 and the power levels it allows). Possibly fuel pump and FPR upgrades as well.
    Producing power is one thing, getting it to the ground reliably is another. Wheels and tyres (semi-slicks perhaps), brake upgrades (power upgrades without brake upgrades are nasty) Haldex upgrade possibly to help get the power down to all four wheels.

More power's going to be required to get an Arteon into the 10s than to get a Golf R, as the Arteon's heavier and thus all other things being equal, acceleration's going to be slower.
    U need to upgrade the charge pipes, turbo, injectors and HPFP with stage 3 ... costs alot less than 25k... u would already have the downpipe and IC from stage 1 /2...

2nd hand bbk off a wreck should cost alot less than the retail 5 - 6k for MQB bbk.....

Im guessing hes going for a full rebuild and close to 700hp+ if he wants fast reliable drag car.. theres guys getting 700hp on a stock engine and engine management to throttle the torque e.t.c not to blow anything up and put the power down... with a fully built engine its easy 700+hp all day.

If you arent using it for the drag strip regularly or own a shop / doing it urself for fun its alotta kesh

Users Country Flag

The issue is he's not coming from Stage1 or Stage2 - he's starting from stock.

Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    U need to upgrade the charge pipes, turbo, injectors and HPFP with stage 3 ... costs alot less than 25k... u would already have the downpipe and IC from stage 1 /2...

2nd hand bbk off a wreck should cost alot less than the retail 5 - 6k for MQB bbk.....

Im guessing hes going for a full rebuild and close to 700hp+ if he wants fast reliable drag car.. theres guys getting 700hp on a stock engine and engine management to throttle the torque e.t.c not to blow anything up and put the power down... with a fully built engine its easy 700+hp all day.

If you arent using it for the drag strip regularly or own a shop / doing it urself for fun its alotta kesh
    And he's aiming for 500hp+, not 700hp (though that is technically 500hp+, I grant, people generally don't say 500+ when they mean ~700 ) :

Hi, I am going from a stock car 2018 to a full stage 3, i can tell you what the difference is hopefully in the next few weeks, I have been waiting like 2 months for all parts to come in from overseas, I am going going all in around 25k worth, upgrading everything & the kicker is going with flex fuelling, hoping to see 350kw+ at the wheels. The company tuning are getting that now in Golf's so should be no probs in my Arteon. Looking to run into the 10 second quarter mile times, well that's the goal.
    Some people are happy with second hand, some people may want new (and if there's no second hand ones lying around, he's kinda stuck with new anyway).

A big question will be whether 350kW+ will get him to 10-second passes. Assuming an unladen weight of ~1700kgs, he'd need a fraction over 550hp to run a 10-second (10.999 or better) quarter mile.
    Last edited by Manaz; 01-06-2022 at 12:42 PM.
    Nothing to see here...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast