Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Arteon quirks (vs other models)

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenTaco View Post
    Does it work when you actually need it?

It doesn't work very well when I try to use it........ Let alone when I'm not using it.
    Really?
    Mine works perfectly.
    It's just that I sometimes set it off accidentally when reaching for the garage door remote.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by HiddenTaco View Post
    Does it work when you actually need it?

It doesn't work very well when I try to use it........ Let alone when I'm not using it.
    What I've found is that the hand movement needs to be slower... like a gentle "waft" through the air. If you try to swipe it like with a quick "flick" through the air, it doesn't register.

So just pretend like your conducting an orchestra at a very slow tempo and you'll probably find you have a higher success rate.
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamensioN View Post
    What I've found is that the hand movement needs to be slower... like a gentle "waft" through the air. If you try to swipe it like with a quick "flick" through the air, it doesn't register.

So just pretend like your conducting an orchestra at a very slow tempo and you'll probably find you have a higher success rate.
    Needs to positively snail like on mine gave up on it ages ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I found an in-depth guide on Youtube.

YouTube
    Arteon & T-Roc

Users Country Flag
    Another quirk or maybe point for discussion is the over emphasised bass from the audio system even at flat or negative level - S&S ,Dynaudio package
    Now I love sub bass (have the subby at +9 and wish it would go more) but to my ears the bass levels even at -2 are too high at anything above background volumes....am I nuts or are you guys finding the same?
    2018 Arteon
    For Sale - VIC number plates for your Golf - MKVI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DAS AUTO View Post
    but to my ears the bass levels even at -2 are too high at anything above background volumes....am I nuts or are you guys finding the same?
    I have the same S&S Dynaudio system in my Arteon. The key for me here in your comment was "but to my ears" - I've spent some years working for Sony and my father having been an audio engineer/technician gave me some insights into the nuances of sound and the subjective nature of audience listening.. that said- I've just come out of a car with a BOSE system and enjoyed the rich sound stage it provided but acknowledging that it wallowed deeply in the low hz range with lots of bass often distracting even .. I find the Dynaudio system in Arteon well detailed in the mids and bright clear highs but to your point I have noticed that the bass (although not as deep as I'd like or maybe am used to) extends rather flatly higher up the sound spectrum cutting into the detail in the lower mid ranges. It does vary on sound source though (mp3's tend not to be as dynamic depending on sample rate in the file- streamed mp3's even worse). Also, try the sound setting 'authentic' to balance bass with detail but again... the sound experience is quite subjective... luckily there's lots of settings to try to find that personal sweet spot!

Quote Originally Posted by LRDV8R View Post
    Also, try the sound setting 'authentic' to balance bass with detail but again...
    I find authentic to be the best setting.

At first, I felt like the system has too much bass but learned to enjoy it. My mate who is much more of an audiophile than me put it this way, "You just haven't heard what your music is meant to sound like until now"...
    Arteon & T-Roc

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Guys, great insight. I definitely agree on the subjective nature of the listening audience. It's interesting too how my tastes have changed as I've gotten older.
    I'm going to go back to 'authentic' and give that a go. I'm sure I can find that sweet spot.

I have something else in the works to address the levels of sound in the 30 - 150 Hz range......stay tuned
    Last edited by DAS AUTO; 10-06-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    2018 Arteon
    For Sale - VIC number plates for your Golf - MKVI

Users Country Flag
    I've had it where I've been in traffic and it'll start proximity beeping at me like the car that pulled up next to me is way too close, when in actual fact they are over in their lane and the expected distance away.
    Ok so more of an update on this... it happened today several times - and I think I know what it might be.

Driving into work this morning, the M3 into Brisbane was its usual crawl as you get to just past the Woolloongabba entrance to the Clem7, and this Mini Cooper Countryman (looked newish) was coming up beside me on the left. As he approached and got to within a few meters of the rear passenger corner of my car - my proximity sensors went off. He would of been maybe 2-3m away from the car. We were both doing a slow crawl aswell (10kph-20kph tops).

He went past me, and a few more cars went by without triggering my sensors. The cars that went past were some ute, a Corolla, Hyundai something or other sedan etc. A little while later I got back up to the Countryman, and then I edged infront of him. As I did, he set off my sensors again. And this happened another 2 or 3 times while we were in traffic together.

So - I have a theory.... it's a false positive (obviously) - but it's triggered because the Countryman also has sensors that are "broadcasting". My sensors are also "broadcasting" (due to being under a certain speed limit - so they automatically come on), and while they are broadcasting they are looking for the reflection - which is how they work. They are being triggered incorrectly because they were picking up the other cars broadcast (instead of their own reflection).

So why doesn't it do this with every car that has sensors - as most cars do these days? - Well I think the reason for this is because of the frequency they are broadcasting on. Maybe the Countryman and the Arteon use the same sensors tuned to the same frequency. Maybe other cars use different sensors or they scan in a different range. One possible reason for the proximity sensors going off at what seems to be random intervals in traffic is because there are only so many different frequencies the sensors can be set to. And every once in a while you get beside another car that has the same frequency, and you just basically ping off each other.

So in other words - it's quite possible aswell that while my sensors were being triggered in the Arteon - old mate in the Countryman was also having his sensors go off.

Anyway - this is my theory based on absolutely no research other than the drive into work this morning.
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

We must test this! Unfortunately, I don't see many Minis...

It might have something more to do with height of sensors matching rather than frequency.

Has anyone else felt like the car doesn't detect stationary cars well?

I use Cruise Control with everything turned on A LOT and feel like the radar can only pick up moving objects. Easiest example is at a red light...

You are in a lane with car moving in front and car has it detected
    Light ahead is red
    You switch into a lane with a stationary car ahead
    Car seems to only notice the car at a point where a collision is likely

My guess is that the camera object detection isn't that great. So when the radar (by design) doesn't pick up a stationary object the car thinks the road is clear.

Our cars don't have lidar. The technology feels acceptable considering the lack of lidar. I'm starting to understand how these Tesla drivers end up in trouble.
    Arteon & T-Roc

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast