Thread: Rim offset, what's the optimum?

Users Country Flag

Rim offset, what's the optimum?

Hi all,

I have forgotten about going the rim spacer route as it's illegal & the last thing I want to do is kill off any insurance I have, so my question is who has bought new rims & with what offset to fill the guards?
    All the rims I can find have either 40mm or 43mm offset & as the standard Rosaria is 40mm I am guessing i'd need at least 50mm front & 55mm rear.

Any help would be great cheers.

Users Country Flag
    If you're wanting to push the wheels further out, then you need a lower offset, not higher.

In the example you've given, if the standard rim you're comparing to is +40mm, and you want an extra 10mm "push" then you'd be looking for +30mm offset wheels. And that's if your rim width is the same.

If you're looking for wider rims, then you have to account for the extra width as part of the calculation.

Example:
    An 18x8.0 with a 45mm offset will have 56.60mm outward from the mounting surface
    An 18x8.0 with a 38mm offset will have 63.60mm outward from the mounting surface (ie 7mm more) BUT
    An 18x8.5 with a 38mm offset will have 69.95mm outward from the mounting surface because the wheel is 12.7mm wider to begin with which means the same offset as an 8.0inch wheel will have an extra 6.35mm in AND out.

Hope that helps.

Oz

Users Country Flag
    And Tempe Tyres has 4 choices in 20x9s that are all 35mm offset:
    20x9.0 5615 Black Polished | Style By VW | Tempe Tyres
    20x9.0 5615 Dark Grey | Style By VW | Tempe Tyres
    20x9.0-5627-black-polished
    20x9.0-1329-matt-grey-polished

They'll all "push" an extra 17.7mm.

Oz

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi mate, that's great feedback as I was way off, much appreciated. Looked at the 4 examples of the rims there not what I am looking for but at least I know now the offset.

Users Country Flag
    No Prob.

What style are you after??

CNC Wheels have a few to choose from: Shop - CNC Wheels

Oz

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz Dude View Post
    No Prob.

What style are you after??

CNC Wheels have a few to choose from: Shop - CNC Wheels

Oz
    Nice =)

Is it possible (legal/insurable) to run wider rims in the Arteon and have fatter tires? I'm already having some traction issues at times and it's only stage 1.

Lighter wheels to lower the unsprung, rotating mass would also be a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by nermal View Post
    Is it possible (legal/insurable) to run wider rims in the Arteon and have fatter tires? I'm already having some traction issues at times and it's only stage 1.
    The law men say no wider than 26mm from the biggest factory option, but I doubt they'd police it too closely. As long as it doesn't extend past the fender you should be golden.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedi View Post
    The law men say no wider than 26mm from the biggest factory option, but I doubt they'd police it too closely. As long as it doesn't extend past the fender you should be golden.
    Really? So we could technically have up to 271mm if we can make it fit? So that would be 10.67" wide - so you'd want 10-10.5" wide wheels to handle 255-265 tires.

Now, the next question would be if they'd fit - without scrubbing out and/or having to do arch work.

Users Country Flag

For Standard Passenger Vehicles - Track can't increase more than 25mm (so 12.5mm per side), overall diameter can increase to a maximum 15mm, and for different front to rear combinations, tyre aspect ratio cannot change by more than 10 (eg 40 series on the front / 30 series on the rear).

@nermal - Qld Link here (Page 12): https://www.publications.qld.gov.au/...c34d3e6e94d2e6

@BO11OS - NSW Link here (Page 7): https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default...ember-2013.pdf

Important to note that these standards are for everyday mods not requiring any further certification. If you want to go further (eg 9.5" wheel standard / change to 10" on the front and 11.5" on the rear) and it's outside of the standards, then you need to get the vehicle certified in which case you speak to a certifier first to see if what you want to do is possible. If they say yes, you spend your coin, then spend more with them to do the paperwork

In the above example, certification is approx $1,200.

Hope that helps.

Oz