Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil consumption

Users Country Flag

Oil consumption

Hi guys, just clocked 13K and finally decided to top up engine oil, no warning light came up or anything , it took half liter which i think is pretty good as i have heard form others that VW's can be very thirsty for oil. So just wandering what oil consumption do you guys see with your cars.

Cheers
    Arteon 2018 ,white , Sound and Style Package , Sunroof, APR Stage 1,Turbo Inlet ,K&N

Users Country Flag
    I see none.

Half a liter seems like a lot. That's the difference between the high and the low mark on the dip stick. Are you sure the dipstick was pushed in all the way when you took the first measurement? I had a very similar issue and I hadn't pushed in the dip stick until the "click", and my oil was reading low and I thought it needed a top up. I went and bought the expensive Castrol oil, then realised my dipstick wasn't all the way in. Checked it again and it was fine. Now I have an expensive 5L container of oil I've never used.
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag
    It’s my experience that oil consumption is often related to vehicle usage patterns. Lots of running around town followed by a highway run can often result in a sudden drop in level for instance - dilution of the engine oil through short running is easily evaporated off on a long high temp run.

FWIW, my Alltrack took one drink in the first 15k km and none since. My wife’s Passat did the same.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamensioN View Post
    I see none.

Half a liter seems like a lot. That's the difference between the high and the low mark on the dip stick. Are you sure the dipstick was pushed in all the way when you took the first measurement? I had a very similar issue and I hadn't pushed in the dip stick until the "click", and my oil was reading low and I thought it needed a top up. I went and bought the expensive Castrol oil, then realised my dipstick wasn't all the way in. Checked it again and it was fine. Now I have an expensive 5L container of oil I've never used.
    It was all the way in, i was speaking to others ( Audi S3 and Golf R owners) they all reported oils consumption .
    Interesting video from John Cadogan regarding new engines and oil consumption : YouTube
    Arteon 2018 ,white , Sound and Style Package , Sunroof, APR Stage 1,Turbo Inlet ,K&N

Users Country Flag
    I see none.

Keep it till next service and tell them you are providing your own oil I have always done that and as long as it is the correct approved oil they will use it BUT check your invoice as have been charged for oil when I provided it
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    At 24,000 kms the low engine coolant alert popped up on my one year old Arteon. G13 added and no more coolant alerts, but I can see the coolant level has visibly dropped a fair bit since then.

At 27,800 kms up pops the low engine oil level alert. Took it to my dealer this afternoon and they topped up both the engine coolant and engine oil.

The 206TSI Passat sedan I owned previously (same engine / drive line as the Arteon) and driven under the same conditions and distances never had any coolant and/or oil alerts by the time I traded it in at 47,000 kms.

My Arteon is due for its 30,000 km service end of this month, but I'm wondering if this sort of coolant and/or engine oil consumption is normal or should I be concerned?
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 07-02-2020 at 07:12 PM.
    MY22 Volkswagen Arteon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzy_Robot View Post
    My Arteon is due for its 30,000 km service end of this month, but I'm wondering if this sort of coolant and/or engine oil consumption is normal or should I be concerned?
    I would definitely mention it at the service/dealership and also to make sure it is recorded. If anything happens to your engine (eg. runs out of coolant and seizes) then you have proof that it was a known issue and not just your negligence.

I just had my 45,000km service today and in 2yrs of ownership I've never had low oil or coolant problems.
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag
    I would definitely mention it at the service/dealership and also to make sure it is recorded. If anything happens to your engine (eg. runs out of coolant and seizes) then you have proof that it was a known issue and not just your negligence.

I just had my 45,000km service today and in 2yrs of ownership I've never had low oil or coolant problems.
    Thanks for the sound advice, mate.

They recorded the coolant issue when I booked it in for its 30,000 km service; however, I'll make sure this new development with the low engine oil is recorded too.

At this point, the coolant seems to need topping up approximately every 3,000 kms.

The service adviser told me every car consumes oil and coolant and that it's only considered a problem if these fluids need to be topped up every 1,000 kms.

We shall see the outcome of all of this in due course.
    MY22 Volkswagen Arteon

I've had: Golf 6 118TSI/Golf 6 GTI, Audi TT mk2/ Audi TT mk3/ Beetle 118TSI/ Audi S3 8v/ Tiguan 162 in that order and apart from the Audi TTmk2, all did not require oil top up between services (ie oil top up light did not illuminate)
    The TT that required oil top up had a bad PCV and changing that fixed the oil consumption.
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Users Country Flag

Thank you kindly for that information, Mr Gee.

Like you I've had a few Volkswagen cars in my driveway since 2011.

Seven Passat variants (privately owned or company leased) have been fault free.

My own 206TSI Passat sedan developed a leak in the windscreen washer fluid reservoir and a deformed seat base. Both relatively minor inconveniences and swiftly fixed under warranty.

Between the rattling sunroof, increased coolant and oil consumption, this Arteon is proving to be the most problematic ownership experience out of all of them.

More details to follow ...
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 10-02-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    MY22 Volkswagen Arteon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast