Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lunched a gearbox in the Arteon

Users Country Flag

Angry Lunched a gearbox in the Arteon

tl;dr Arteon is at VW dealership waiting on a new gearbox from Germany

For weeks (maybe even months) now - I've noticed the gear shifting in the Arteon becoming more noticeable, especially on the downshifts. It was never at the point where I thought it was a problem - it was just noticeable. Then the other day I go to the shops and at slow speed, I noticed a real jerk with the gear upshift. It was at this point I think "Yeah that's not right"

I then start driving home and I can feel something is different with the car - it didn't have the power it did. At about 500m from home, pull up to a roundabout to give way to traffic, and I get a "Gearbox Fault" (or maybe it said Gearbox Failure) warning come up right in the middle of the dash, and the car goes into neutral. Luckily I still had enough momentum to keep rolling and pull over.

I put the car in park, turn it off and back on again - and surprisingly the gearbox comes back. I'm able to limp the car home, but there is a noticeable loss of power. I pull into my garage, shut down the car and get out - and I notice all this clear fluid (like oil) dripping out everywhere under the car. I'm figuring it's DSG fluid or something (as it clearly wasn't engine oil).

I call VW Roadside assist and the car gets towed to the dealership where I get all my servicing done. They call me today after they've had a look at it...the gearbox is completely blown. They said there's a hole that has blown out the side of it.

Because it's a 2017 model, the car is out of it's 3yr manufacturers warranty, but I bought the extended warranty for 1yr (which is basically just insurance for mechanical repairs), however this only covers up to $5000 worth. Talking to the lady at the VW dealership - she reckons VW Australia (should) cover this as it's a....wait for it.... known fault . Worse case is VWA covers most of it and we use the $5000 from my "extended warranty" to cover the gap so I'm not out of pocket.

It could be up to 2 months before I get my car back. Luckily we are a 2 car family and we're also in lockdown here in QLD - so there's no immediate need for another vehicle. But I will likely use my 10 days car rental from VW Roadside Assist, and then whatever the dealership can loan me until my new gearbox comes from Germany.

So guys - something to be mindful of and/or - if you have a chance to extend your warranty - lol...do it.
    Last edited by DreamensioN; 13-08-2022 at 11:51 PM.
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag

Lunched a gearbox in the Arteon

Wow, that’s scary, is your car completely stock and how many km’s?

I would love to hear a bit more info from you as to this “known fault” when you chat with VW further,
    That’s a little concerning.
    Last edited by rjt86; 01-07-2021 at 04:36 PM.

Users Country Flag
    6spd or 7spd? Never heard of this before...
    Who has the car, Cricks at Springwood? That's were I go...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by rjt86 View Post
    Wow, that’s scary, is your car completely stock?

I would love to hear a bit more info from you as to this “known fault” when you chat with VW further,
    That’s a little concerning.
    Yep - completely stock apart from the "Audi mod" which is hardly a mod. Dealership said they'll keep me up to date - so if I get any more info I'll post here. When I got home and saw fluid pouring out everywhere, I did a search on it and found this video from the TDIClub forums. DSG Leak? - YouTube (this is what the underside of my car looked like) - there are also other links on VWWatercooled where people have had DSG fluid leaks and it seems to be a problem related to the filter and/or filter seal. So I thought maybe it was just that....I had a problem with the seal, I lost fluid, and that's the problem. Replace the filter/seal, top it back up - easy fix.

But after the car went to the dealer and they explained the issue I was like "Daaaaaaammmmmmnnnn". Her exact words were "Did you hear a really loud bang at any point?"

I'm just glad it is being covered under warranty. No way am I pulling $20K out for a new gearbox. If it came to that I'd just buy a whole new car.

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Yep - Cricks at Springwood. Though I bought the car from Cricks at Maroochydore and my "extended warranty" is with them, but Springwood is honoring it (if they need to). And it's a 7sp DSG (wet).
    Last edited by DreamensioN; 01-07-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    It will be a 7 speed, from memory DQ 381

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Oh man, that's sux!! Do let us know the outcome. I just took mine in for it's 60,000 km service. Oil consumption remains on the higher side needing a top up between services, but so far hasn't been as dramatic as your ownership experience. How many kms has yours done?

I can't help notice in your signature your Mrs has a 140TDI Superb Wagon. I presume the sensible choice is still going strong??!?
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 02-07-2021 at 05:51 PM.
    MY22 Volkswagen Arteon

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzy_Robot View Post
    Oh man, that's sux!! Do let us know the outcome. I just took mine in for it's 60,000 km service. Oil consumption remains on the higher side needing a top up between services, but so far hasn't been as dramatic as your ownership experience. How many kms has yours done?

I can't help notice in your signature your Mrs has a 140TDI Superb Wagon. I presume the sensible choice is still going strong??!?
    Yep for sure - I'll keep this thread updated with what happens. I'm up to 68,000km in mine so far.

And yep - we've had no major issues with the wife's car. One annoying issue that took a while for Skoda to believe us (to get it properly looked at), was the fan kept running after the engine was turned off. We realise this is normal for a diesel if a regen of the diesel particular filter was happening when the engine was shut off. However the problem was the fan would go on full speed non-stop until the battery went flat.

This actually happened a few times and each time Skoda would say it's normal. One time it happened at 11pm at night when my wife was by herself and she had to wait for roadside assistance to restart the car. Then a week later it happened at home while the car was in the garage - this time the car hadn't even been running and the fan just turned on until it drained all the battery power.

After that Skoda finally believed us and we had it towed to them. Turned out the relay for the fan controller was faulty. Since then we've had no issues at all with it and it has been a great car.

Users Country Flag
    They are really great cars, but it ain't nice when there's a glitch and the dealership resorts to the stock standard 'it's normal' response or 'there are no fault codes present' response.

Kevin Dennis Volkswagen have a new service manager who is actually listening to me about the engine oil consumption issues happening between services. He told me if it happens over the next 7,000kms to bring it in & they will drain the oil pan, measure the weight, refresh the oil, get me to come back after 1,000kms, repeat same process and re-assess the situation.

I've been with them for almost 10 years, so treating me as an intelligent and informed customer goes a long, long way at keeping me with them and the brand itself.

Good luck, mate! Good to read VW agree the time frame and kms traveled for the DSG to fail means it was never fit for purpose and are replacing it with no charge to you.
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 03-07-2021 at 12:51 PM.
    MY22 Volkswagen Arteon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rjt86 View Post
    It will be a 7 speed, from memory DQ 381

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DQ 381 - Is that the same one as in the Golf R?

I had one replaced after an incident involving children leaving a storm drain cover open. Thanks to VW and insurance it didn't cost me a cent of the $18 000 to replace the gearbox and some suspension parts.
    2018 Golf R (Ticks all the boxes, really, really well)
    2021 Passat Alltrack (not so) Premium
    2017 Tiguan R-Line (Sold, and missing it.)
    BNE Qld

Users Country Flag

Lunched a gearbox in the Arteon

Quote Originally Posted by PDRx View Post
    DQ 381 - Is that the same one as in the Golf R?

I had one replaced after an incident involving children leaving a storm drain cover open. Thanks to VW and insurance it didn't cost me a cent of the $18 000 to replace the gearbox and some suspension parts.
    The storm drain cover accident wouldn’t have been fun.

Correct other then the Arteon the DQ381 is generally found in MY18 Mk7.5R, S3, Passat B8 206Tsi maybe a few others.
    Last edited by rjt86; 04-07-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast