Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lunched a gearbox in the Arteon

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

So that wasn't so bad... 6 weeks and I now have the car back. Drives like brand new. They weren't very forthcoming with what the actual issue. The service sheet says...
    - Found hole in back of gearbox causing oil leak
    - Scanned vehicle, opened diss
    - Carried out test plan as per TPI and found old pressure pump exceeds 8 BAR pressure
    - Need to replace gearbox

To VW's credit, and that of Cricks...I was hardly inconvenienced by any of this. VW Australia organised a hire car for me immediately, and I had a few update calls from the dealership just letting me know where things were at. Then the other day I get told the car is ready to be picked up and I went and got it, then took the hire car back.

Even though the car was 6-7 months outside it's manufacturers warranty - it only had 67,000km on the clock. And lets face it... a gearbox shouldn't let go on a car this "new". It's not like I was doing burnouts in it bouncing off the rev limiter or anything. So even if VW said they weren't going to fix it, I would have a good case under consumer rights to challenge them. But I'm glad I didn't have to and they just said straight up they would cover it.

If you have the 5yr warranty - that's good, and if you plan on keeping the car - maybe buy an extended warranty if you can (not that it'll do much good if it has a $5000 limit like mine). Or if you notice a little jerkiness on the downshifts - maybe get your service department just to make note of it. So if something does happen (like it did to mine), you've got an issue noted while it was still under warranty.
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamensioN View Post
    So that wasn't so bad... 6 weeks and I now have the car back. Drives like brand new. They weren't very forthcoming with what the actual issue. The service sheet says...
    - Found hole in back of gearbox causing oil leak
    - Scanned vehicle, opened diss
    - Carried out test plan as per TPI and found old pressure pump exceeds 8 BAR pressure
    - Need to replace gearbox

To VW's credit, and that of Cricks...I was hardly inconvenienced by any of this. VW Australia organised a hire car for me immediately, and I had a few update calls from the dealership just letting me know where things were at. Then the other day I get told the car is ready to be picked up and I went and got it, then took the hire car back.

Even though the car was 6-7 months outside it's manufacturers warranty - it only had 67,000km on the clock. And lets face it... a gearbox shouldn't let go on a car this "new". It's not like I was doing burnouts in it bouncing off the rev limiter or anything. So even if VW said they weren't going to fix it, I would have a good case under consumer rights to challenge them. But I'm glad I didn't have to and they just said straight up they would cover it.

If you have the 5yr warranty - that's good, and if you plan on keeping the car - maybe buy an extended warranty if you can (not that it'll do much good if it has a $5000 limit like mine). Or if you notice a little jerkiness on the downshifts - maybe get your service department just to make note of it. So if something does happen (like it did to mine), you've got an issue noted while it was still under warranty.
    Glad it’s all fixed, a bit disappointing they didn’t state the cause of the fault, maybe the local techs didn’t pull it apart as it goes off for investigation overseas or the likes.

last I was at the dealer they mentioned there was a DSG software update they applied to my car. I doubt software would prevent this sort of mechanical failure however but we’ll see how long mine lasts.

Users Country Flag
    All's well that ends well! DreamensioN, what did they give you as a loan car?
    MY22 Volkswagen Arteon

Quote Originally Posted by Buzy_Robot View Post
    what did they give you as a loan car?
    I actually had 2 loan cars over the 6 week period. A Nissan XTrail and a Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Both just base models with a CVT gearbox. I freaking hate CVT transmissions. Feels like driving a manual with a constantly slipping clutch.

The Outlander was the nicer of the two vehicles, but their infotainment screen was horrible. So soooooo laggy.

Users Country Flag
    Glad you got it sorted and honoured to do the job!. My car has 15000kms and 3.5 yrs old and had an error saying instrument cluster fault and VW Aus wouldn't even help. I had to take it to a dealership for them to look at it which was going to cost me almost $200! Luckily fault went away and i didn't take it in. But just sux they wouldn't even help me out!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamensioN View Post
    I actually had 2 loan cars over the 6 week period. A Nissan XTrail and a Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Both just base models with a CVT gearbox. I freaking hate CVT transmissions. Feels like driving a manual with a constantly slipping clutch.

The Outlander was the nicer of the two vehicles, but their infotainment screen was horrible. So soooooo laggy.
    And despite the glitches I bet you couldn't wait to get your Arteon back!!

With apologies to all the SUV lovers out there, but when I'm given a base model Tiguan or T-Cross during service visits, I can't wait to jump right back into my Arteon!!
    MY22 Volkswagen Arteon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_206 View Post
    Glad you got it sorted and honoured to do the job!. My car has 15000kms and 3.5 yrs old and had an error saying instrument cluster fault and VW Aus wouldn't even help. I had to take it to a dealership for them to look at it which was going to cost me almost $200! Luckily fault went away and i didn't take it in. But just sux they wouldn't even help me out!
    Oh dear! That's not good at all. Even if outside warranty, I would expect goodwill to kick in. My only fault at the moment is that sometimes - not always - the rear view camera won't retract even once the car is turned off and left for the day. I'm told there's no fault code, so all must be right ... hmmm?
    MY22 Volkswagen Arteon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzy_Robot View Post
    when I'm given a base model Tiguan or T-Cross during service visits, I can't wait to jump right back into my Arteon!!
    I was given a T-Cross for a loan when my Arteon was in for it's infotainment system swap (warranty). I didn't like the T-Cross at all. Interior looked cheap, motor sounded crap (loud, drony, like it was working hard), gutless with no power. Just an overall disappointment.
    MY17 Arteon | 206TSI R-Line | Manganese Grey Metallic | Front window tint 35% | Stage 1: ECU Racing Line tune, DSG APR tune, R600 intake bundle |

MY12 GOLF Mk6 103TDI Comfortline | Shark Blue | RD Technik Stage 1 Tune | DSG Tune | RNS510 | Highline RVC | Window tint 35% | GTI steering wheel |
    See build: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ild-99394.html

This just happened to my brothers car. His description of events matches yours almost identically.

Hole in the back of the box.

I couldn’t find anything on the net other than this post so it can’t be too common.

Quote Originally Posted by F6310 View Post
    This just happened to my brothers car. His description of events matches yours almost identically.

Hole in the back of the box.

I couldn’t find anything on the net other than this post so it can’t be too common.
    Whoa. So is VW covering the repair or is the car still under warranty?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast