Thread: Head Unit Bugs

Users Country Flag

Head Unit Bugs

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else has any issues with using Android Auto.

Sometimes when i connect my phone i lose any voice guidance from Waze navigation and need to unplug and plug back in to get it working.

Also sometimes when i plug in my YouTube Music app is gone or even Waze a couple of times has gone missing. Again i have to unplug and plug back in.

I did bring my car in late last yr to see if there were any s/w updates but they said there wasn't?. My car was first batch to land in melb so had it since Dec 17.

Just wish there was a way of the end user checking for latest software without having to bring it in again

I find it also weird my Samsung S9+ always beeps a couple of times when it connects to the car via bluetooth (message notification sound) and on a few occasions it keeps asking to pair with the car?! Its like it loses its link sometimes?

Just think the S/W could be a bit better. Apart from that im loving the car

Users Country Flag
    Hi Mr_206

My Arteon's head unit and phone connectivity is temperamental at best but from everything I have read online, discussed with Google customer support or having the dealership check for updates, it seems that the fault does lie with Android Auto.

My S10 sometimes won't connect via Android Auto automatically so I start it manually then I'm ok for a few weeks. Other times I can get Waze to display but then I can't get I heart Radio to play. I haven't had the no voice guidance issue though so not sure about that in your case. I always connect my phone via the cable and I use the USB slot inside the centre console.

I also often get no Google assist when pressing the steering wheel voice assist button but understand that this is a significant Android Auto issue at the moment. I can usually rectify the majority of issues that arise every few weeks with resetting the head unit by pressing the power button and leaving it pressed until the unit resets in 20 seconds or so.

I too wish we could check ourselves for any software updates.

Like you, other than the head unit issues I love this car!

Hope this helps and take care

Shane

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Shane

I didn't even know the button on the steering would connect to google assist, i thought it was only for the car's options. Will have to try next time.

Like you I also connect the usb to the plug in the centre armrest but yeah most times its working but the odd occasion I lose voice nav commands in Waze or apps go missing from the apps section. Really strange.

Users Country Flag
    Has anyone else seen this sort of message pop up on the MIB2 unit ?

- when playing audio from jukebox or sdcard & the music stops suddenly & the app panel shows message _starting "Media"... _

I have had previous issues where the same has occured with "Navigation" and "apps" & had no gps function or android access, but I only got a pic of the Media one last night.

I took the car in for a service today expecting a quick turnaround using the Express option & mentionrd this on the handover , along with showing the pic.

When car was returned about 90 mins later they explained no codes were recorded so they expected not a hardware issuie & I should drop by again when it comes up again. I head off home & 10 minutes later music stops & Media error reccurs so I head back in there.

After they move the car inside again & poke around for a while they say they have no codes anywhere & want to do a software update which will take 3 hours. So I left the car there overnught & will see how they go tomorrow.

I will be interested in seeing the versions of whatever updates they do & compare to anyone seeinmg similar messages.

When I googled the fault I see items from Golfs dating to 2015 era so it seems wierd that the same would be appearing now?

Users Country Flag
    After patching & testing I was handed the car back with the comment that there is no fault being logged so they dont have anything to fix, so they just applied whatever patches seemed to resolve some slow access to media or such.

I got about 5 minutes away before I had the first crash on media player, so I used the pwoer button reset tyo see what aha[ppened. After rebootinbg I had normal displays again & the media playbvack started up ok. Then it crashed again 5 minutes later , so I headed back to VW to update them...

Seems taking it further with VW head office will need them to hold the car overnight for more testing , which I dont have time for just now.

Just in case - I cleared the jukebox storage of all media & loaded new contents. Then during a test drive tonight the media froze, Navigation app has crashed , the bluetooth froze, and the Andoid Auto has shutdown.

So overall since the patches the device seems to be worse than ever.

Device info is now being reported as :

Device part No: 5NA03045B
    Hardware : H54
    Software : 1367

Bluetooth version:

It will be next week before I can update them on them on this in person.

Users Country Flag

I may have found a reason for my MIB2 unit freezing - failed SDCARD media.

I pulled the sdcards out in order to update the maps versions (a VW service + specific media center update = no map update applied, lol?) and during the inspection of the cards on my PC I found one of them unreadable.

Both should have held standard media files I accessed as an alternate from the jukebox files.

I replaced the unreadable with a exfat disk with the MIB2 upates & went fror a long drive to apply the new maps - takes about 70 mins so I drove out of Sydney about 100Ks out & up the Putty Road. After the update finished I realised I was in the middle of nowwhere & turned around. During all of this time & the return trip my media off jukebox was working & no unit had no crashes.

Afer that 3 hour trip I have done numerous smaller trips with device also working as expected.

Hopefully this SDCARD extraction is all that was needed to return to normal operation, time will tell. Seems like a simple debug task VW could have accomplished when trying to work out what had happened at the start of this.