Thread: Discover Pro 9.2" Infotainment with lines down the display

Users Country Flag

Discover Pro 9.2" Infotainment with lines down the display

I thought I'd start another thread for this just as an FYI.

You may have seen my other gearbox thread here. While the car was in I asked to get another issue looked at. It happened several weeks before the gearbox let go.

I noticed 2 thin vertical lines down my infotainment screen about 2 inches apart. There was no lead up to it happening. Just one day I turned the car on and they were there. It was only really noticeable with a bright background (like Google maps). It basically looked like a column or two of dead pixels running top to bottom. I was going to mention it at my next service but I figured since the car was already in - they could look at it.

Quick internet search suggests this is a common issue with the 9.2" discover pro entertainment units in all VW's that have them.

My service sheet says they needed to replace the "screen", but I actually think they replaced the entire unit. Anyway the total cost including GST for the head unit was $1949.

Luckily this was also covered by my "extended warranty". Just another thing to keep in mind if this happens to you.
    Last edited by DreamensioN; 13-08-2021 at 08:44 PM.
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag

Discover Pro 9.2" Infotainment with lines down the display

Quote Originally Posted by DreamensioN View Post
    I thought I'd start another thread for this just as an FYI.

You may have seen my other gearbox thread here. While the car was in I asked to get another issue looked at. It happened several weeks before the gearbox let go.

I noticed 2 thin vertical lines down my infotainment screen about 2 inches apart. There was no lead up to it happening. Just one day I turned the car on and they were there. It was only really noticeable with a bright background (like Google maps). It basically looked like a column or two of dead pixels running top to bottom. I was going to mention it at my next service but I figured since the car was already in - they could look at it.

Quick internet search suggests this is a common issue with the 9.2" discover pro entertainment units in all VW's that have them.

My service sheet says they needed to replace the "screen", but I actually think they replaced the entire unit. Anyway the total cost including GST for the head unit was $1949.

Luckily this was also covered by my "extended warranty". Just another thing to keep in mind if this happens to you.
    I had mine replaced 2 weeks ago for this same issue, all under warranty thankfully.

I’m subscribed to updates about your gearbox fault if they will tell you what’s specifically caused it, as I’ll be going stage 3 in my Arteon soon and want to be sure it will hold up.
    Last edited by rjt86; 15-08-2021 at 11:51 AM.

VW replaced my screen at the first 1 year service (around mid 2019) due to a couple of lines, I didn't even notice it had any.

I think they mentioned they replaced the entire unit also.

I had assumed it was a random issue at the time, but maybe they were keeping an eye out for it.

Users Country Flag
    Below hardware version 51 these screens are notorious for having premature failures.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    I had this during my warranty period and it was replaced! Common fault

Users Country Flag
    Just adding myself to the list of Arteon's that needed their infotainment replaced because of the 2 lines.

My car is out of warranty (stupid 3 years) but VW have agreed to cover it under warranty as a goodwill gesture.
    MY17 Arteon | 206TSI R-Line | Manganese Grey Metallic | Front window tint 35% | Stage 1: ECU Racing Line tune, DSG APR tune, R600 intake bundle |

MY12 GOLF Mk6 103TDI Comfortline | Shark Blue | RD Technik Stage 1 Tune | DSG Tune | RNS510 | Highline RVC | Window tint 35% | GTI steering wheel |
    See build: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ild-99394.html

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf Girl View Post
    Just adding myself to the list of Arteon's that needed their infotainment replaced because of the 2 lines.

My car is out of warranty (stupid 3 years) but VW have agreed to cover it under warranty as a goodwill gesture.
    Good to hear! The customer service coming from VW (Australia, at least) seems to continue to be very good.
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag

I had it originally mib1 with 5.8" screen and then went straight to mib2.5 with 9.2" screen with all carplay/android auto features enabled. All done by NR Coding in Bury. The upgrade consisted of a new glove box, new screen, new screen trim, gps antenna, and replacing the old mmi connector with USB. Huge difference inside the car Goat Spirit Animal Totem Meaning: Abundant Mentality - SunSigns.Org . Also, this meant that I could install an OEM rearview camera since the latest unit was not compatible. I can also install a virtual dashboard if I want. It might cost a little, but I like that the OEM looks a little more modern.
    Last edited by Erion; 09-05-2022 at 07:12 AM.