Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crack in plastic sunroof surround

Users Country Flag

Crack in plastic sunroof surround

Anyone else experienced this? The dealer mentioned they have seen this on a few Passat B8’s

I will be confirming with the dealer tomorrow how involved this fix will be, my old 2009 Passat CC did this on the plastic VW used on the boot lid, bit disappointing to see it on the Arteon also.

Crack in plastic sunroof surround-view-recent-photos-jpg

I just recently purchased a 2019 model and while I was looking mid last year I viewed a 2017 model with the same issue. The seller had an agreement from vw to replace under warranty, however part had to come from Overseas. I had seen the service paper that stated it would be replaced under warranty.

The seller mentioned that vw knew of a fault where screws on that part were over tightened on the 2017 model and the flex of the car can cause that part to crack. The car I viewed the crack was in the same place.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by messy_smith View Post
    I just recently purchased a 2019 model and while I was looking mid last year I viewed a 2017 model with the same issue. The seller had an agreement from vw to replace under warranty, however part had to come from Overseas. I had seen the service paper that stated it would be replaced under warranty.

The seller mentioned that vw knew of a fault where screws on that part were over tightened on the 2017 model and the flex of the car can cause that part to crack. The car I viewed the crack was in the same place.
    Thanks for that insight, there doesn’t appear to be many reported cases online.

Mines a early 2018, seems that some of them are affected also.

The dealer’s had a quick look at it but will be starting the warranty process tomrorow, so I’ll post updates on how all of that goes.

All done under warranty, the dealership took it to a VW body shop who had it for a few days and did a great job.

Hi Rjt86. seems my MY19 suffered the same failure. cracked formed same place as yours, dealer said VW will cover under warranty. unfortunately they wont replace the paint protect film that is on that section as they view this as a modification, bit crumby but glad it was a no fuss exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by messy_smith View Post
    Hi Rjt86. seems my MY19 suffered the same failure. cracked formed same place as yours, dealer said VW will cover under warranty. unfortunately they wont replace the paint protect film that is on that section as they view this as a modification, bit crumby but glad it was a no fuss exercise.
    That’s a shame but it’s good they are fixing it. I’m hoping it last this time around Crack in plastic sunroof surround

I noticed this on my 2019MY yesterday; booked in to VW - very cold weather recently with several sub-zero nights in a row. Exact same position for me and actually have identical cracks on both sides. Can't upload images for some reason.

I also get the large 'twang' when pulling off the drive - this will also be investigated when it goes in...I was told 18 months ago that they had the fix for this and were waiting something out of Germany but I think this was to fob me off for a bit longer to whittle the warranty down.

Users Country Flag
    This is scary considering my Arteon is out of warranty now :|

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by REK View Post
    This is scary considering my Arteon is out of warranty now :|
    I would still take Arteon Crack in plastic sunroof surround

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    2014 Passat Wagon, TDI, blue-motion technology, ComfortPower front seats, Adaptive Damping Control, Premium Sound System, Power Tailgate, Sports pack

Seems I spoke too soon. VW is inspecting the vehicle roof again and lots of questions about the car history. i had a cracked windscreen a few weeks later and they are trying to tie that to the crack or the strip of ppt film that is on the leasing edge of the sunroof plastic part. Implying it isnt a known fault but something else.

hopefully I they come to the party on it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast