Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking Out MY22 Arteon

Users Country Flag

Checking Out MY22 Arteon

Checked out the Arteon 206TSI R-Line mid-life update at a regional Volkswagen dealer the other day and walked away impressed with the subtle albeit effective updates to the car.

Cosmetically, you’d have to be an Arteon aficionado to spot the external differences. Most obvious change being the Nashville alloys. Having said that, the Oryx White Pearlescent is exquisite.

Internally, the front seats have integrated headrests while the dash along with the infotainment system have all been tinkered with to a lesser or greater extent. Most obvious change being the move away from physical knobs for the air conditioning towards a touch/gesture screen approach and a new steering wheel with touch controls as well. I also noticed the park assist controls have been moved from the top of the dash down to the gearshift area.

I was surprised by the visual changes to the engine and can only assume the inclusion of the Petrol Particulate Filter and additional torque reveal some work has happened under the hood. Indeed, I’m going to do some research on the PPF to better understand what it means for us in Australia.

No budging on the $81,000 as per the Volkswagen Australia website. Perfectly understandable as it’s a new model and in very limited supply. Had a general discussion about changeover, but as they strongly intimated low 30s for my current Arteon and I’m expecting mid-30s, there was no point in wasting each other’s time.

Nothing wrong with my Arteon, so I’m going to adopt a wait and see approach.
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 27-12-2021 at 09:04 AM.
    MY22 Volkswagen Arteon

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for reporting back.

Are you saying they offered low 30's for trade in, and you were hoping for mid 30's for trade in? (Because you can get high 30's, low 40's for private sale?)
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamensioN View Post
    Thanks for reporting back.

Are you saying they offered low 30's for trade in, and you were hoping for mid 30's for trade in? (Because you can get high 30's, low 40's for private sale?)
    G'day DreamensioN!

Yeah, I can do better via private sale, but in the past I've found that approach hit and miss. Prefer trade-in as less hassles.

I still reckon low 30's is too little for trade-in as that doesn't reflect that used car prices have gone up as well.

Regardless, it's the changeover price that matters and asking over $51,000 plus my current Arteon as trade-in is way too much.
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 26-12-2021 at 11:28 AM.
    MY22 Volkswagen Arteon

Ended up going to two Melbourne metropolitan VW dealers today and found it a most revelatory experience!

Both are only taking pre-orders with Kevin Dennis Volkswagen stating September being the earliest I could expect a 206TSI R-Line, but could get an Elegance earlier in the year as there's a production run coming up for that variant of the Arteon. Chap I spoke to gave me good advice trade-in wise stating I've got a desirable used car with an impeccable dealer service record, but best trade-in or sell before it hits 90,000kms as at that point I'll see a drop in how much I can get for it.

Ended up at Westside Volkswagen who told me they have an Elegance, R-Line and Shooting Brake coming in around 22nd June. Turns out the R-Line is exactly what I want, so went ahead and put a $1000 pre-order deposit on it and signed a dummy contract, so to speak. They are also keen to nab my current Arteon and sell it through their used car lot.

I told them I'm looking at a changeover price between $45,000 and $50,000 which they are happy to entertain. The gist of this being that in April next year they will contact me and we'll do actual changeover figures then. If either party isn't happy then I'm refunded the $1000 pre-order deposit.

Honestly doubt there'll be any hiccups, so I expect to see myself in a MY22 Arteon R-Line around July 2022. Nice!!

The stock shortages are very real and severe and the whole situation is so very different from when I bought my first Arteon back in December 2018.
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 01-01-2022 at 10:04 AM.
    MY22 Volkswagen Arteon

206TSI R-Line lift back is now in my garage.

Order placed 29/12/2021

Arrived 10/03/2022

Not bad at all given the extended wait times. Just happened to be unallocated and on a Hoegh Autoliner bound for Australia.

The differences between the original and this mid-life update are subtle, but they're there.

Externally, its mostly the striking Nashville rims that stand out and the Oryx Pearlescent White is beautiful to look at.

internally its the seats and the touch-based infotainment system. Seats really hug you and the lack of knobs and dials is a bit odd for the air con, but one adjusts quickly to the new setup as its pretty much logical and familiar. Screen in front of the driver is an evolution of the original and easy to adjust to very quickly. Haptic touch on steering wheel is fine, but I'm used to the old fashioned way of pressing buttons which still work as expected.

Mechanically, there's been some tweaks to the suspension as ride is more composed over larger bumps, transmission shifts are noticeably smoother between 1st and 2nd gear and the engine seems to offer even brisker power delivery across the rev range.

Paid full retail (minus trade-in), but very happy to snatch the 5 Year/75,000 KM Care Plan.

What's missing? How good would it be to get the full blown Arteon R with an Akrapovic exhaust?!
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 12-03-2022 at 06:12 PM.
    MY22 Volkswagen Arteon

Users Country Flag
    Just want to put it out there that I'm interested in upgrading my R36 to a used Arteon ...

Looking for one with Dynaudio and sunroof, with low kms - ideally in QLD (Brisbane area).

Folks

what is the situation with pricing? How is a 2022 Arteon R Line shooting brake with a list price of $70,680 coming up at $83k DA in NSW with a pano sunroof?

I bought mine in 2017 as a demo for a steal but assume this is no longer possible? I am cross shopping with an A5 sportback 45 TFSI S line or an S5 sportback. I have seen an Arteon 206 R Line shooting brake on carsales for 92k????? Am I missing something here?

Need to offload mine with 46,500km by end of FY and jump into something new, hopefully with a 5yr warranty this time around.

thanks
    7R
    Golf 7R | 5 Door | Limestone Grey | DSG | Sunroof | Leather | Driver Assist | Tint | Formerly GTi11.5

Users Country Flag
    I just picked up a fully optioned, black MY18 (possibly MY18.5/MY19 after exploring), with 30K kms for $55K. Was only looking around for ~1 week, so could have found a better deal if I'd held out. We needed a 2nd car asap because my wife's 2008 125TDI Passat broke down from an engineering flaw in the engine at 160K kms - possibly written off.

The MY18 presents (even smells) as new, except for a minor paint chip on the corner of the bumper near the wheel arch (already touched that up - same paint code as the 125TDI). There are also a couple minor clear coat scratches that should buff out.

I did see an ex-demo, fully optioned R-Line in Sydney with 2K kms for $73K drive away on carsales. That was tempting and probably closer to where the real value of that car is - IMO.

We also just ordered a new fully optioned Tiguan Allspace 147TDI R-Line for virtually the same price - arrives June. So, if the MY22 Arteon was more reasonably priced, I probably would have bought one new to go with the Tiguan.

Apart from an odometer reset, ventilated seats, and updated badges/buttons there's no real upgrade and I really could justify the $30-35K price difference. MY22 is just overpriced IMO.

I'll just wait for some ventilated seats to become available from a MY22 (or other MQB variant maybe) and retrofit if possible - or maybe explore shipping out some from a US variant.
    Last edited by nermal; 17-04-2022 at 12:47 PM.

Users Country Flag

I must admit i would very much like an Arteon 206 R Line in my garage, but the price is getting out of hand. I think my 2018 Tiguan 162 R Line was high $50's on the road and there is no way i think the Arteon, even with the bigger engine, is worth another 30k of my money.

It looks like a Golf R will be @80k, so i cannot see that happening either.
    162 TSI + R-Line + DAP +Pure white. Ordered March 11th 2017. I'm built email Sept 9th 2017. I'm shipped email Sept 30th 2017. VIN received from dealer Oct 5th 2017. Arrived Fremantle October 24th. Finally delivered to me - Wednesday 15th November.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast