Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Arteon VCDS / OBDEleven Tweaks - Confirmed working

Users Country Flag

It would be interesting to see if it can be functionally disabled by disconnecting a wire on the battery like it can be on some VWs...
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    Once again, truly appreciate comments and support. I'm gonna try and go into adaptions, etc like the R Mk7 I had and will report back to this thread so others may benefit. Thank you

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Manaz View Post
    It would be interesting to see if it can be functionally disabled by disconnecting a wire on the battery like it can be on some VWs...
    Non-VW content, but I disabled the start stop feature on my friends 2020 Mazda CX-3 by unplugging the bonnet latch sensor - so there are ways around the technology.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    As has been said on here many times removing that wire does several bad things. The worst one is it stops the car knowing how full the battery is charged and therefore can over charge it.
    Part of the reason for that wire is so that the battery doesnt charge above about 80% and so leaves headroom for regenerative braking capacity. Disconnect it if you wish, its your car but you are doing the battery a disservice as well as your wallet cos it will kill the battery sooner
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Not to get offtopic - but just regarding start/stop... I always hated it in the Arteon because when the engine stops, the air-conditioning stops. And having this happen in the middle of a Brisbane summer is the worst thing as the suddenly warm moist humid air starts blowing on your face.

For the past 5 weeks I've had a Volvo V60 loan car with a mild-hybrid "B5" engine (the reason for the loaner is a long story). Anyway the Volvo has a start/stop feature that can't be disabled but I honestly don't even realise it's on. When the car stops, the battery from the mild hybrid system keeps the air-conditioner/heater running. Also when the car restarts it is *instant*. I mean... absolutely instant to get the combustion engine going again. I even took a video of it to show my friends when I was telling them. The Arteon will take what? 0.5-1s to kick over and start going again? That's pretty good and what I would consider normal. The Volvo is like... less than 0.5s It's freaky.

Anyway the point of my post is... start/stop isn't evil or a crap feature. Now that I've been in a car where it has been implemented correctly (where you don't even notice or care that it's on) - I'm all for it.
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamensioN View Post
    Not to get offtopic - but just regarding start/stop... I always hated it in the Arteon because when the engine stops, the air-conditioning stops. And having this happen in the middle of a Brisbane summer is the worst thing as the suddenly warm moist humid air starts blowing on your face.

For the past 5 weeks I've had a Volvo V60 loan car with a mild-hybrid "B5" engine (the reason for the loaner is a long story). Anyway the Volvo has a start/stop feature that can't be disabled but I honestly don't even realise it's on. When the car stops, the battery from the mild hybrid system keeps the air-conditioner/heater running. Also when the car restarts it is *instant*. I mean... absolutely instant to get the combustion engine going again. I even took a video of it to show my friends when I was telling them. The Arteon will take what? 0.5-1s to kick over and start going again? That's pretty good and what I would consider normal. The Volvo is like... less than 0.5s It's freaky.

Anyway the point of my post is... start/stop isn't evil or a crap feature. Now that I've been in a car where it has been implemented correctly (where you don't even notice or care that it's on) - I'm all for it.
    Being a mild hybrid, does the electric motor handle the initial take-off before the combustion engine kicks over? That may also make the restart much smoother
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon

Users Country Flag
    start/stop isn't evil or a crap feature. Now that I've been in a car where it has been implemented correctly (where you don't even notice or care that it's on) - I'm all for it.
    I'm very interested in the long term impacts of start/stop. There's a lot of stress put on a lot of components during starting an engine (it's worse when it's cold, but at least in most circumstances, start/stop avoids repeated cold starts), and I'm not 100% convinced that the long-term reliability concerns have really been resolved.

Before anyone says "manufacturer warranty covers it", does it really? Even if it does fail during the warranty period, as the person who just paid $90k for a vehicle, are you left without any inconvenience during a warranty process. And what of it failing outside of warranty - what's the cost of fixing it, and what does that do to the value/resale of a vehicle? We saw pretty substantial drops in the value of vehicles with early DSG gearboxes when the Mechatronic issues (and others, catastrophic stopping in high-speed traffic causing crashes and death) were prevalent.
    Nothing to see here...

Quote Originally Posted by nermal View Post
    Being a mild hybrid, does the electric motor handle the initial take-off before the combustion engine kicks over? That may also make the restart much smoother
    The combustion engine runs 100% of the time (apart from when it turns off when you stop the car). My understanding is that the electric motor assists the combustion engine to "rev up". So the two motors always work together to accelerate the car. Energy is recovered and put back into the battery during braking.

In this regard... light braking only engages the resistance of the electric motor, and more heavy braking engages both the electric motor resistance and the friction brakes. There is a battery icon/animation on the dashboard when energy recovery is happening.

The acceleration of the car is very smooth as I get the initial low-down torque of the electric motor, and as the combustion engine gains RPM's it starts to take more of the load to move the car.
    Last edited by DreamensioN; 11-07-2022 at 11:33 AM.

I even took a video of it to show my friends when I was telling them. The Arteon will take what? 0.5-1s to kick over and start going again? That's pretty good and what I would consider normal. The Volvo is like... less than 0.5s It's freaky.
    Here are the videos...

Arteon: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Volvo: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Users Country Flag

I'm very interested in the long term impacts of start/stop. There's a lot of stress put on a lot of components during starting an engine (it's worse when it's cold, but at least in most circumstances, start/stop avoids repeated cold starts), and I'm not 100% convinced that the long-term reliability concerns have really been resolved.

Before anyone says "manufacturer warranty covers it", does it really? Even if it does fail during the warranty period, as the person who just paid $90k for a vehicle, are you left without any inconvenience during a warranty process. And what of it failing outside of warranty - what's the cost of fixing it, and what does that do to the value/resale of a vehicle? We saw pretty substantial drops in the value of vehicles with early DSG gearboxes when the Mechatronic issues (and others, catastrophic stopping in high-speed traffic causing crashes and death) were prevalent.
    My Passat TDI survived 10 years of leaving S/S enabled without any problems. The starting system is built to allow for it after all.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast