Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Arteon (used) as R36 replacement?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nermal View Post
    Thanks, I'll check them out. I've been talking to Harding Performance at Coorparoo, they're local, and have a lot of products/info on their website too.

Looks like you've done a bit of work on your Arteon? What kind of upgrades do you think provide the best improvements?

I'm currently looking at starting with a standatd stage 1 ECU + DSG tune, with R600 intake (plus turbo elbow, intake pipes etc) - it comes as a package. Then probably some new lower control arms and sway bars, possibly some other body tensioning. Would lower it, but it barely gets out of the driveway as is (strange, because it's an inch higher than the R36, tho sticks out further).

r600 intake = waste of money when the stock airbox is good.. take the snowgrate out and ur good to go

buy a turbo elbow, sillicone hose, intercooler off ebay for 1/4 of the price then ur ready for a jb4 or custom flash

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    r600 intake = waste of money when the stock airbox is good.. take the snowgrate out and ur good to go

buy a turbo elbow, sillicone hose, intercooler off ebay for 1/4 of the price then ur ready for a jb4 or custom flash
    Indeed, the stock airbox does perform well when modded.

Interestingly, Mishimoto are selling their full replacement sealed intake kit (basically the equivalent of the R600) for $242 at the moment - its listed under Audi but apparently suits the Mk7 MQB platform too and should thus fit the Passat/Arteon unless I'm mistaken. Much easier to swallow than paying well over $600 for an aftermarket item.

More info here:

Renew, Reuse, Refresh – 2015+ MK7 Volkswagen Golf TSI/GTI/R Performance Intake Production Sample | Mishimoto Engineering Blog

Performance Air Intake, fits Audi A3/S3 (MQB) 2015-2020 (mishimoto.com.au)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by petemac110 View Post
    Indeed, the stock airbox does perform well when modded.

Interestingly, Mishimoto are selling their full replacement sealed intake kit (basically the equivalent of the R600) for $242 at the moment - its listed under Audi but apparently suits the Mk7 MQB platform too and should thus fit the Passat/Arteon unless I'm mistaken. Much easier to swallow than paying well over $600 for an aftermarket item.

More info here:

Renew, Reuse, Refresh – 2015+ MK7 Volkswagen Golf TSI/GTI/R Performance Intake Production Sample | Mishimoto Engineering Blog

Performance Air Intake, fits Audi A3/S3 (MQB) 2015-2020 (mishimoto.com.au)

is it even worth doing for $250... u can get full stage 3 carbon intakes from china for decent prices $350+ - $500 shipped. .. but not right now because the shipping is insanely expensive more than the item itself.

mishimoto recently did some 70% clearance sale for all their old stock and intercoolers too.. smaller spec bar plate ICs.... its all just old stuff u can get on ebay or aliexpress anyway....

i think best thing for this guy is to to a few small peices, intercooler , inlet, intake tube which they cant ping ur warranty for... and a jb4 you can take off when u need to take it into service... and hes just about stage 2 without voiding warranty...

Users Country Flag
    is it even worth doing for $250... u can get full stage 3 carbon intakes from china for decent prices $350+ - $500 shipped. .. but not right now because the shipping is insanely expensive more than the item itself.

mishimoto recently did some 70% clearance sale for all their old stock and intercoolers too.. smaller spec bar plate ICs.... its all just old stuff u can get on ebay or aliexpress anyway....

i think best thing for this guy is to to a few small peices, intercooler , inlet, intake tube which they cant ping ur warranty for... and a jb4 you can take off when u need to take it into service... and hes just about stage 2 without voiding warranty...
    Is it worth paying $250 for a known-quality product that exceeds your requirements, vs paying $350-$500 for something of dubious quality (it may be great, it may be ****e) that also exceeds your requirements? I'd say so.

Comparing the product quality and support of products from the official local Mishimoto store with crap you'd get out of China on eBay/AliExpress is insane, frankly.

Regarding not pinging you for warranty, that's not true either. If one of your AliExpress sourced intake pipes delaminates and fills the engine with fake carbonfibre causing engine issues, I guarantee you that your warranty WILL be affected...
    Last edited by Manaz; 01-06-2022 at 11:21 AM.
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Manaz View Post
    Comparing the product quality and support of products from the official local Mishimoto store with crap you'd get out of China on eBay/AliExpress is insane, frankly.

Regarding not pinging you for warranty, that's not true either. If one of your AliExpress sourced intake pipes delaminates and fills the engine with fake carbonfibre causing engine issues, I guarantee you that your warranty WILL be affected...
    Here come the moderators.. go check out some reviews on well known parts from companys that fall apart champ or tunes that blow engines up from well known tuners.

Why dont you guys just let the users of this forum discuss and share information without your narrow minded scare mongering.

Users Country Flag
    Here come the moderators.. go check out some reviews on well known parts from companys that fall apart champ or tunes that blow engines up from well known tuners.
    I've not only done that, but I've also personally owned Mishimoto parts for various cars, as well as stuff imported from China. I've learned from those experiences.

I've run tunes from a few different companies as well.

And yes, some "well known" brands I wouldn't touch - both in terms of components and tunes. Some brand stuff is undoubtably over-priced - ~$250 for that Mishimoto intake I see as reasonable. Would I pay their standard ~$700 list price? Nope.

Why dont you guys just let the users of this forum discuss and share information without your narrow minded scare mongering.
    Offering an alternative to your opinion has nothing to do with me being a moderator. I'm participating in this discussion because I'm considering an R-Line Arteon Shooting Brake, and if I do go that way, I'll be modifying it as I see fit.

I disagree with your opinion not because I'm a moderator, but because I disagree with it. You're entitled to your opinion and to express it, as I am entitled to my opinion, and also to express it.

There's no scaremongering here, just an alternative view being offered.
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Manaz View Post
    I've not only done that, but I've also personally owned Mishimoto parts for various cars, as well as stuff imported from China. I've learned from those experiences.

I've run tunes from a few different companies as well.

And yes, some "well known" brands I wouldn't touch - both in terms of components and tunes. Some brand stuff is undoubtably over-priced - ~$250 for that Mishimoto intake I see as reasonable. Would I pay their standard ~$700 list price? Nope.

Offering an alternative to your opinion has nothing to do with me being a moderator. I'm participating in this discussion because I'm considering an R-Line Arteon Shooting Brake, and if I do go that way, I'll be modifying it as I see fit.

I disagree with your opinion not because I'm a moderator, but because I disagree with it. You're entitled to your opinion and to express it, as I am entitled to my opinion, and also to express it.

There's no scaremongering here, just an alternative view being offered.
    Ok aslong as youre not going to ban me for differing opinions like some other mods on here.

Where do you think these "well known" companies make their parts... some plant in china my friend and they pay wholesale and rebrand it as a brand then sell as retail.

this is not the 1980s with china guessing anymore... and by no way am i Pro Chinese or a rep for any of these companies.. its just a way of life in the industrial / manuf / retail sector..

I was ridiculed on this forum for using chinese kinforest tyres which happen to be really good full stop.. but especially for the value / money saved and did well untill they came off the car... replaced with fairly expensive goodyear assy5 to give the old butt feel test again... having been satisfied with goodyear before.. i was expecting more of the same... peice of **** exploded / fell apart on the freeway after barely 2 years on the car... no pre-existing damage , punctures , sidelwall damage, and minimal use ( less than 10k) leaving me stranding at like 11pm in the middle of the country.. tyres were inflated at correct PSIs before the extended trip and did not give me any problems for the 1hr between the petrol station / air machine and leaving for the freeway... only 1 check tyre light and a disintegrated tyre 1 min later.

BTW ur company mishimoto sells KSEAL coolant sealer and rebrand as MISHIMOTO LIQUID CHILL to make some $$.. just pasting stickers over it... KSEAL rep has already told me that their product has little to no use in the newer MQB cooling systems once the waterpump failed u need to replace it doesnt work like it does on older cars / systems.. from the REP DIRECTLY... and mishimoto is selling this as a solution to our cars?

Users Country Flag
    Ok aslong as youre not going to ban me for differing opinions like some other mods on here.
    That's not me.

Where do you think these "well known" companies make their parts... some plant in china my friend and they pay wholesale and rebrand it as a brand then sell as retail.

this is not the 1980s with china guessing anymore... and by no way am i Pro Chinese or a rep for any of these companies.. its just a way of life in the industrial / manuf / retail sector..
    Having worked for a company that manufactured in China (and India, and Vietnam) and sold locally (and around the world), I know. The difference though comes in quality control and then the backing of a locally registered business who are bound by, amongst other things, Australian consumer law.

I was ridiculed on this forum for using chinese kinforest tyres which happen to be really good full stop.. but especially for the value / money saved and did well untill they came off the car... replaced with fairly expensive goodyear assy5 to give the old butt feel test again... having been satisfied with goodyear before.. i was expecting more of the same... peice of **** exploded / fell apart on the freeway after barely 2 years on the car... no pre-existing damage , punctures , sidelwall damage, and minimal use ( less than 10k) leaving me stranding at like 11pm in the middle of the country.. tyres were inflated at correct PSIs before the extended trip and did not give me any problems for the 1hr between the petrol station / air machine and leaving for the freeway... only 1 check tyre light and a disintegrated tyre 1 min later.
    I tend to trust independent tyre reviews where they put multiple tyres through specific tests under controlled circumstances (or as controlled as they can be) and record the results. Chinese brand tyres tend to do horribly in these sorts of things, but that isn't to say you're not right in your specific case.

How people judge tyres can also be very subjective - some people want tyres to last forever, some people want grip (wet, dry, whatever) and are willing to sacrifice lifespan for that. In the end, almost all tyres are a compromise of some description, and what compromise works for your use-case is what works for you in your use-case.

BTW ur company mishimoto sells KSEAL coolant sealer and rebrand as MISHIMOTO LIQUID CHILL to make some $$.. just pasting stickers over it... KSEAL rep has already told me that their product has little to no use in the newer MQB cooling systems once the waterpump failed u need to replace it doesnt work like it does on older cars / systems.. from the REP DIRECTLY... and mishimoto is selling this as a solution to our cars?
    KSEAL may be the underlying manufacturer, but are they simply taking the standard KSEAL product and rebranding, or are KSEAL making it to their specs? If Mishimoto are selling it as suitable for the MQB cars in Australia, and it's proven that it's not, then they have obligations under law to make good.
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    my point was everyone is just trying to make a $.

A brand is not your mate .. its just some guys trying to make a $.. and a brandname doesnt make something x20 more reliable than the same part without the name.

Users Country Flag

Yes, I still think a modded standard airbox with turbo inlet is the bang-for-buck option which has been proven to flow sufficiently well for up to Stage 2 mods. I wasn't suggesting that the poster buy this... I was only noting that it was well priced at the moment vs other comparable options.

I'm running a JB4 with airbox mods on my Passat 206TSI and can attest to it being a great combo.

I'd be a little wary of suggesting that an aftermarket intercooler, inlet and intake tube wouldn't affect the engine and drivetrain warranty - do you have that in writing from VW Australia, as it's inconsistent with the terms of the warranty in the owners manual? From what I understand, any non-standard performance-enhancing parts present an opportunity for VW to point their finger at them and dispute an engine or drivetrain-related warranty claim.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast