Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arteon (used) as R36 replacement?

A tune will generally void the warranty on your powertrain (engine, transmission, differential, etc), but you'll keep warranty for anything unrelated (sensors, trim, electrical, etc).

Edit: tuners also warn that even if you revert back to stock there might be a 'fingerprint' left that VW can see it has been previously tuned.

You'd be fairly unlucky for something major to happen in the first 5 years, but it generally relates to the most expensive bits to fix.
    Last edited by Vedi; 12-04-2022 at 02:58 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gableguy View Post
    Depending on how hard you plan to go with the tuning, all my research pointed to APR being best bang for buck. $1k for about 20% increase in power & torque - amazing value.
    APR Stage 1 low torque 98RON should actually get you ~34% more power vs stock (206kW to 277kW) for that price... so even BETTER than amazing value There's also the increase of ~37% torque to >490Nm, as well.

I'm loving mine; that's for damn sure.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by dairyfloss View Post
    APR Stage 1 low torque 98RON should actually get you ~34% more power vs stock (206kW to 277kW) for that price... so even BETTER than amazing value There's also the increase of ~37% torque to >490Nm, as well.

I'm loving mine; that's for damn sure.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Very nice =) Just need to find the right car now.

I picked up a fully-optioned MY18 today with 30K Kms ($55K). Decided that the MY19 warranty didn't matter so much if I'm going to tune it anyway.

Now the fun begins!

Congrats mate! I'm two months ahead of you and I still buzz getting behind the wheel. Every time. What colour did you get?

Chuck a Stage 1 in there asap and you'll quickly forget all about the R36...

Mine is black - first preference was manganese grey, with black a close second.

I'll order an OBDeleven and discuss options with some tuning shops after Easter. The only turbo I've ever owned before this was a diesel 125TDI, so I'm new to (but familiar with) intake/exhaust and tuning mods - the R600 intake looks interesting and for pipes etc, I'm a sucker for real carbon fiber (have made things with it before)

I was also reading the manual last night (yeah I do that), and it mentioned ventilated seats. I got all excited and rushed to the garage to see, but (as I had thought) just heated seats. I think I saw something about ventilated seats in the USA, so maybe these can be ordered and retrofitted (if not too pricey) - I yearn for ventilated seats each QLD summer.
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nermal View Post
    Mine is black - first preference was manganese grey, with black a close second.

I'll order an OBDeleven and discuss options with some tuning shops after Easter. The only turbo I've ever owned before this was a diesel 125TDI, so I'm new to (but familiar with) intake/exhaust and tuning mods - the R600 intake looks interesting and for pipes etc, I'm a sucker for real carbon fiber (have made things with it before)

I was also reading the manual last night (yeah I do that), and it mentioned ventilated seats. I got all excited and rushed to the garage to see, but (as I had thought) just heated seats. I think I saw something about ventilated seats in the USA, so maybe these can be ordered and retrofitted (if not too pricey) - I yearn for ventilated seats each QLD summer.
    I was hoping they'd have the ventilated seats in the oz version, too... but alas they are not available here, except in I think maybe the Touareg from around that point and forwards. I understand that the MY22 Arteon models have the ventilated seats.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by dairyfloss View Post
    I was hoping they'd have the ventilated seats in the oz version, too... but alas they are not available here, except in I think maybe the Touareg from around that point and forwards. I understand that the MY22 Arteon models have the ventilated seats.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    The MY22 Tiguan Allspace R-Line we've ordered also has ventilated seats with memory (driver and passenger). I get the feeling it'll be a relatively common feature on the latest R-Line and upcoming R spec cars.

Also, it looks like they fixed the wireless phone charger space issue in the MY22 (my phone doesn't fit - same age as the car). Might be able to retrofit one later down the track too. I think this may be the part number for it: 3G0980611

Currently looking into some performance mods to the ECU/DSG, airflow and handling for my Arteon - probably start with a stage 1 package first.

It also seems to have a minor suspension rattle occasionally on some bumps, so some performance lower control arm replacements may an option (if the bushes are worn), some sway bars may also help.

It certainly doesn't handle like an R36, but with some mods it should come up nice. Much more comfortable to drive. Less thought seems to have gone into the little things tho - but I've found that issue with all new cars I've driven over the past few years.

OBDEleven arrived just this afternoon too, so time to learn how to do some long coding. I know how to code, so hopefully switching some bit-encoded settings shouldn't be too scary. Though engineering is 90% about just knowing which screw(s) to turn ... and which ones to leave alone.

Will also look into putting some sound deadening behind the door cards and the boot etc to eliminate some rattles with moderate bass/volume. Did this in the R36 and it makes a big difference - that Dynaudio system sounds better IMO (but I also added a Dynaudio Esotar 1200 sub which is amazing).

Anyhow, plenty of ideas to keep busy with over the coming months (probably years).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nermal View Post
    Thanks, that's very helpful.

Yeah, the Arteon sure looks great and drives nice - 900km to a tank would be amazing . From what I hear even the Audi coding switch improves the soggy throttle response, though I'd want to get it tuned - so any performance shop recommendations are appreciated (ideally Brisbane).

I think it's probably more of an emotional decision, so I probably just need to jump in. If anyone is selling one, please let me know - there a few dealer options to choose from, but a private sale could offer better value for both sides. Looking to move quickly once inspection/checks are completed.
    If your looking for a tuner, try German Auto Dynamics. They are on the Gold Coast, but do some amazing work.
    Daily Drive: 2017 VW Arteon 206TSI, White, Fully optioned inc Sun Roof. APR Stage 1 + DSG, Gtechniq 10h Ceramic Coating, Ceramic Tint, Ceramic Front/Rear Brakes, Eibach Lowered Springs.

Weekend Drive: 2016 Golf GTI 40 Years (Clubsport) Tornado Red, DSG, Tint, Black Badges

Quote Originally Posted by Andysuew View Post
    If your looking for a tuner, try German Auto Dynamics. They are on the Gold Coast, but do some amazing work.
    Thanks, I'll check them out. I've been talking to Harding Performance at Coorparoo, they're local, and have a lot of products/info on their website too.

Looks like you've done a bit of work on your Arteon? What kind of upgrades do you think provide the best improvements?

I'm currently looking at starting with a standatd stage 1 ECU + DSG tune, with R600 intake (plus turbo elbow, intake pipes etc) - it comes as a package. Then probably some new lower control arms and sway bars, possibly some other body tensioning. Would lower it, but it barely gets out of the driveway as is (strange, because it's an inch higher than the R36, tho sticks out further).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast