Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arteon Tyre Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    read the peoples actual reviews and what cars they are driving.. they are damn reliable and pretty decent at spirited driving and reliable in the wet
    tyrereviews.com is excellent but you can't put much weight in the user reviews. Especially where they might be coming off worn out and chewed up tyres - anything new is going to feel decent.

You really want their proper Tyre Test Results where they test a range in controlled settings. I'd expect some huge differences in braking distance alone.

I don't think you need to buy the most expensive tyres out there, but they are are the only thing sticking your car to the road, so I would never go cheap.

Haldex with most tyres aren't going to lose traction easily in most road conditions, but in those situations you really need it, my life is worth a few extra bucks than that.
    Last edited by Vedi; 01-06-2022 at 08:06 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedi View Post
    tyrereviews.com is excellent but you can't put much weight in the user reviews. Especially where they might be coming off worn out and chewed up tyres - anything new is going to feel decent.

You really want their proper Tyre Test Results where they test a range in controlled settings. I'd expect some huge differences in braking distance alone.

I don't think you need to buy the most expensive tyres out there, but they are are the only thing sticking your car to the road, so I would never go cheap.

Haldex with most tyres aren't going to lose traction easily in most road conditions, but in those situations you really need it, my life is worth a few extra bucks than that.
    u can put plenty of weight into user reviews.. its what its all about

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    u can put plenty of weight into user reviews.. its what its all about
    No, actually it isnt. There's a whole world of reasons that user reviews can be bad. Poor understanding of the product, bad experiences in the past, buyers bias (I paid money for these, I'm not about to ****can them), drivers who think they're great but are terrible, drivers who think they're terrible but are great, absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence, confirmation bias (where you pay more attention to things that confirm a pre-held opinion, and pay less attention to things that challenge it) , the list goes on and on and on. Quite simply - there's too many variables.

I wouldn't discount them entirely, but neither would I rely on them absolutely. The very fact that the reviews swing from raving about how good they are to slagging them off as completely useless shows clearly that there's too much variation in user reviews to be used as a reliable indicator on their own.

It's variables that tyre reviewers try to reduce (and if they can't reduce them, to at least account for them). Of course there can be bias there too - if tyre company X pays my magazine/website for advertising, am I *really* going to slag off their latest product (some sites will, some sites won't), and nor are they totally immune to some of the things I raised as potential concerns on user reviews.
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Manaz View Post
    No, actually it isnt. There's a whole world of reasons that user reviews can be bad. Poor understanding of the product, bad experiences in the past, buyers bias (I paid money for these, I'm not about to ****can them), drivers who think they're great but are terrible, drivers who think they're terrible but are great, absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence, confirmation bias (where you pay more attention to things that confirm a pre-held opinion, and pay less attention to things that challenge it) , the list goes on and on and on. Quite simply - there's too many variables.

I wouldn't discount them entirely, but neither would I rely on them absolutely. The very fact that the reviews swing from raving about how good they are to slagging them off as completely useless shows clearly that there's too much variation in user reviews to be used as a reliable indicator on their own.

It's variables that tyre reviewers try to reduce (and if they can't reduce them, to at least account for them). Of course there can be bias there too - if tyre company X pays my magazine/website for advertising, am I *really* going to slag off their latest product (some sites will, some sites won't), and nor are they totally immune to some of the things I raised as potential concerns on user reviews.
    yeh but the negative ones arent really descriptive or informative.. i know plenty of people who make stupid negative comments about things in real life and u ask em why they cant tell u

Users Country Flag
    Yes, but then the positive ones, some people simply aren't qualified to say things are good either...
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Manaz View Post
    Yes, but then the positive ones, some people simply aren't qualified to say things are good either...
    u cant beat customer satisfaction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123