Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Arteon Performance Mods / Tuning

Users Country Flag

Quick question on scheduled servicing after a performance tune... I went APR stage 1 on my MY18 arty late last year, and am taking her in for her first service since, later this week (at VW). Is there anything that they can or are likely to do that would mess with the APR ECU flash? It's out of warranty so not concerned with that kind of stuff... I just don't want to end up driving out of service with a stock ECU again!

Theoretically no, the service shouldn't require them to plug into software unless there is an error code (edit: well, maybe to turn off the service now reminder). Even then it would be rare to perform an ECU reset without a major issue and consulting you first.

If it is your expensive 4th service (about $832 at VW) you might consider taking it to an independent mechanic and potentially save up to a few hundred?

Lots of recommended VW mechanics around Sydney, where are you based?

Users Country Flag
    Thanks - I think I'll just mention the APR tune is on there when it goes in, and to check with me before messing with anything! I can clear the service reminder myself with OBD11 if needed.

On the service cost, I took it in for a major service just after buying, and while it was still under the short dealer warranty, so that we could [theoretically] have billed covered and unexpected items back to the dealer, so this one is actually a bit less than the 48mth one. I think it was booked at about $450 plus specified additional services, which I know is still up there, but happy for them to do it at that amount.

I'm in the Lower North Shore, and have previously used Northside Autoworks at Artarmon, as well, who were good.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dairyfloss View Post
    Quick question on scheduled servicing after a performance tune... I went APR stage 1 on my MY18 arty late last year, and am taking her in for her first service since, later this week (at VW). Is there anything that they can or are likely to do that would mess with the APR ECU flash? It's out of warranty so not concerned with that kind of stuff... I just don't want to end up driving out of service with a stock ECU again!
    TBH - I doubt they'd go to the bother of flashing your ECU .. maybe just mention that it's tuned (and you want it to stay that way).

How is your tune going, are you happy with it? Mine's booked in next week for a stage 1 (Racingline ECU+DSG), getting a little excited =D
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nermal View Post
    TBH - I doubt they'd go to the bother of flashing your ECU .. maybe just mention that it's tuned (and you want it to stay that way).

How is your tune going, are you happy with it? Mine's booked in next week for a stage 1 (Racingline ECU+DSG), getting a little excited =D
    Thanks, & agreed! That's what I'll do.

The tune is just as good as it was from the get go - no regrets at all. We love it! You might have seen I also just added some new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres, and the combination of the tune with the better tyres has given it another mini boost! I'm thinking about APR's DSG tune as well, but no plans for stage 2, and the guys at the shop when I did the ECU flash said it wasn't really necessary for stage 1 low tq.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedi View Post
    Theoretically no, the service shouldn't require them to plug into software unless there is an error code (edit: well, maybe to turn off the service now reminder). Even then it would be rare to perform an ECU reset without a major issue and consulting you first.

If it is your expensive 4th service (about $832 at VW) you might consider taking it to an independent mechanic and potentially save up to a few hundred?

Lots of recommended VW mechanics around Sydney, where are you based?
    I recently had the expensive 60K service done at a VW Chullora and they conveniently forgot to do the DSG and Haldex service which should have been included. When I questioned this, they agreed to do the Haldex service but was going charge me another $500 for the DSG service. Not impressed so I went to Autohaus in Ryde who did it for $350. Also fitted some DBA 4000 slotted rotors and ceramic pads for less than what VW were going to charge for standard rotors/pads.

After chatting to the mechanic about an APR tune, ended up with:

TVS ECU Stage 2 Tune
    TVS DSG Stage 3 Tune (2K Combo deal)
    APR Ignition Coils
    NGK Racing Spark Plugs
    Michelin PS 4S

The Arteon now is seriously quick and the gear changes even smoother with torque on tap. Still thinking about R600 Rackingline intake, Turbo inlet and other hardware upgrades, but very happy for now and tbh I don't need it to be any quicker.

Users Country Flag
    Got the stage 1 ECU+DSG tune done today. It makes a big difference over stock, less laggy overall.

Haven't had much chance to really test it, but took a quick "sprited drive" down some industrial back streets to see how well it could... err... get up to the speed limit =D

Drive mode is much improved down low while having a lot more go whilst in motion, but not enough to worry about it getting away - still feels polite and will still occasionally bog down (but much better). DGS holds gears longer and provides a bit more engine breaking, which I miss from the R36.

Sports mode is where it's really noticeable (and fun!). Seems like a completely different car - it's eager to go and feels like it has a much "bigger" gas pedal. Keeps the revs nice and (moderately) high, so has plenty of pep even at low speeds.

I even tried Eco mode and it's seems like what Drive used to be (or perhaps my perception has just shifted and it remains unchanged).

The sway bars (plus rear drop links) were a great investment and have improved the handling, it's tighter and firmer.. and feels less like I'm steering a washing machine around corners. Handling can still improve, but it's better - they have a firmer/track setting to try before looking at other suspension improvements.

I've searched around for proper lower control arms (better camber/caster), but nothing for the Arteon. In all my searching for performance parts, it seems everything VW is aimed toward the Golf, and that anything Arteon (or even Passat) is an after-thought... though I guess that's their safe market.

So... I'm already thinking stage 2 (and possibly 3). Stage 1 is a big improvement, but not quite there yet for me - I've driven a few Teslas, so my expectations are probably a bit unreasonable.

UPDATE - here's a photo of the R600 intake. I'm planning to re-route the coolant hose that goes over-top the intake - wish I had known to add this as an extra when it was being installed:

Arteon Performance Mods / Tuning-20220518_185138-jpg

PS: looking at the OEM drop links... these appear to be made out of plastic!
    Last edited by nermal; 23-05-2022 at 11:53 AM. Reason: R600 photo

Quote Originally Posted by nermal View Post
    The sway bars (plus rear drop links) were a great investment and have improved the handling, it's tighter and firmer.. and feels less like I'm steering a washing machine around corners. Handling can still improve, but it's better - they have a firmer/track setting to try before looking at other suspension improvements.
    What brand did you go for on the sway bars?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vedi View Post
    What brand did you go for on the sway bars?
    They were supplied/fitted by Harding Performance Brisbane:

(front) Harding Performance Front Sway Bar - VW Golf R Mk7/S3 8V/RS3 FL - Harding Performance
    (rear) Harding Performance Rear Sway Bar - VW Golf R Mk7/S3 8V - Harding Performance
    (rear drop links - part# TBC) Harding Performance Sway Bar Link Kit - Rear, MK7 Golf & RS3 FL (HP SW HP4300) - Harding Performance
    (plus labour)

Sunny and the team were great to deal with and very helpful with my many turbo-n00b questions. They quoted up a nice package with the ECU/DSG tuning and R600 kit.
    Last edited by nermal; 19-05-2022 at 02:47 PM.
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011