Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arteon on the list of quality cars that people don't buy

Users Country Flag

That's your mistake. You're trying to use a dealer. Use a broker. I purchased mine through a broker and the price dropped from $74k to $68k just by calling a different phone number. $74k was the best offer the dealer would make me. They've got profit margins, realestate etc and wages et al that they've got to pay. Brokers often time don't have that same markup or cost commitment. They purchase at fleet discount prices for individuals. It's great. I'm never purchasing a car through a dealership ever again.
    ----------------------
    My Car: 2019 Arteon

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Great advice about using a broker; however, it's still too much at the moment.

In July 2018 my mate bought an Arteon with S&S package & window tinting from a VW dealership for $65,000

In December 2018 I bought an Arteon with S&S package, sunroof & window tinting from a VW dealership for $68,000

Imagine if my mate and I had gone through brokers respectively!

RRP has been over $76,000 for a quite a few months now (sure, there's been a $5,000 finance deposit contribution & now that's been replaced with a $5,000 bonus on MY19 white coloured variants), but as it stands Volkswagen Australia need to bring the RRP down if they want to sell more than they are right now. In my opinion, the RRP of the Arteon (with S&S package) should be $69,990.

I'm actually very interested in seeing what happens to the positioning and pricing of the Arteon once the updated Passat hits our shores. Given the upcoming Passat will have an updated interior and infotainment system, it'll put some pressure on Arteon sales as well. Yes, I know the Passat and Arteon are targeted at different demographics and types of buyers, but the interior is all Passat with both models and the Arteon will look dated on the inside and a generation behind in terms of infotainment systems. It's performance and snazzy exterior will only go so far. Time will tell ...
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 01-10-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Interesting.

Mid last year every dealer in Sydney was able to to $65k S&S package and sunroof. No trade-in, no finance. Keep in mind this was with the 3 year warranty.
    Arteon & T-Roc

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenTaco View Post
    Interesting.

Mid last year every dealer in Sydney was able to to $65k S&S package and sunroof. No trade-in, no finance. Keep in mind this was with the 3 year warranty.
    Really good points, HiddenTaco. The 5 year warranty came into effect from October 2018, I think. I know my Arteon purchased in December 2018 has it - much to the chagrin of my mate who bought his with the 3 year warranty in July 2018!

Making the Arteon an exclusive model is all well and good, but the current pricing will send it into oblivion.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzy_Robot View Post
    Really good points, HiddenTaco. The 5 year warranty came into effect from October 2018, I think. I know my Arteon purchased in December 2018 has it - much to the chagrin of my mate who bought his with the 3 year warranty in July 2018!

Making the Arteon an exclusive model is all well and good, but the current pricing will send it into oblivion.
    You seem to have funny logic. If the new car price falls, then also the used car price plummets which affects the resale value.
    I hope the high car price for Arteon remain the same , which will mean less Arteon's on the the road and make it much more of a rarity.
    Arteon TSI R-Line 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    You seem to have funny logic. If the new car price falls, then also the used car price plummets which affects the resale value.
    I hope the high car price for Arteon remain the same , which will mean less Arteon's on the the road and make it much more of a rarity.
    The resale on the Arteon isn't great either way. Depreciation is a nightmare on new cars - particularly on a semi-premium model that isn't an SUV. The reality is that when it comes to trade-in or private sale the seller of an Arteon isn't going to see a dramatic difference in how much they get for it regardless of how much they paid for it initially. Don't forget these were sold at a discounted RRP for well over a year and half some six months after it's launch in Australia, which would have impacted resale values already. Jacking up the RRP to what it was when it first came out won't guarantee a high resale value now. I wish it were otherwise. Being a rarity is also a double-edged sword as lack of name recognition and/or model awareness can also work against a car when it comes to resale value as fewer used car buyers are willing to part cash for what they perceive to be an obscure vehicle. Believe me, I've argued these points with dealers and wholesalers in the past and they keep coming back to supply and demand.

Anyway, the whole point of this thread was to point out that the Arteon is a quality car which is not selling particularly well on the new car market as per the linked article. Only 32 sold last month in Australia. A crying shame, but it is what it is. Either way, I'm besotted with mine!
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 03-10-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Users Country Flag

I haven't seen an advertisement for one yet. (probably just missed it maybe... but I do see a lot of Golf ads all day long.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12