Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arteon Exhaust Mods

Users Country Flag

Arteon Exhaust Mods

Ok so...I had the resonator deleted. It sounds a little better, but is still fairly quiet. If you're just looking for a little more of an exhaust note, I can highly recommend just removing the resonator. There's no drone, and it doesn't make the car "loud". You can just hear it a little more, and by a little...I really mean, just a little more. It actually sounds like my Golf R now with the factory exhaust. If you were wanting a proper exhaust noise, you would have to do more than just the resonator.
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamensioN View Post
    Ok so...I had the resonator deleted. It sounds a little better, but is still fairly quiet. If you're just looking for a little more of an exhaust note, I can highly recommend just removing the resonator. There's no drone, and it doesn't make the car "loud". You can just hear it a little more, and by a little...I really mean, just a little more. It actually sounds like my Golf R now with the factory exhaust. If you were wanting a proper exhaust noise, you would have to do more than just the resonator.
    I would do it but my fleet managers might go into a fit if they found out...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Arteon Exhaust Mods

Ok so you may remember a few weeks ago I had the middle resonator taken out. I have a friend with an Audi S3 sedan, and he had his resonator deleted. The car sounded AWESOME. Just free revving produced pops and crackles, and it really enhanced the sound made by the car.

Thinking "Well the Arteon has the same engine - maybe it'll sound the same." Well it didn't. Deleting the resonator made almost zero difference to the sound of the Arteon. Also I think the Arteon has a very different fuel map to the S3 (makes sense in hindsight). Those of you with the Arteon will be aware there's no real "DSG fart" noise or exhaust rumble on the downshifts.

Also after living with no resonator for several weeks, I actually noticed there was one particular part in the rev range that annoyed me. Between say 2300-2500rpm under load in Normal mode, the car made a very buzzy/tinny sound from the exhaust. It reminded me of being in the 90's where people would mod their old Nissan Pulsars and get that really annoying metal "rasp" sound from the exhaust.

Feeling this rice boy sound didn't match the elegant looks of the Arteon, I ended up putting the resonator back in.

It's such a pitty though because the guy that did the exhaust work did a brilliant job. Here is what I had - a straight through stainless steel pipe.
    Arteon Exhaust Mods-20180228_091653-jpg

And now the OEM resonator goes back in...
    Arteon Exhaust Mods-20180228_094926-jpg

So my advice... don't delete the resonator unless you actually want that tinny sound through a particular rev range under load. If you want to enhance the sound - consider changing the rear mufflers (the Arteon basically has twice the sound dampening as the S3), or consider a full exhaust replacement.

Luckily it was only $50 to put the OEM resonator back in, so a bit of loose change to learn a little lesson.

Users Country Flag
    Following up on this, I had VAREX mufflers fitted some months ago... a little 'thump' between shifts but nothing that would turn heads... (frankly I was disappointed). Mindful of your experience, I was hesitant to delete the RES but then thought for $150 (100 out, 50 to weld back in if I hated it) I thought that it was worth risking because with my bigger sports mufflers, I might avoid the frequency that led to the tinny sound you experienced... I'm glad I did! The Resonator was cut out a few days ago and now, I get huge DSG 'fart' shifts when the Varex are set to half or free flow (free flow is a real 'bang') but close to stock when the varex valves are closed... the trick for me was res-delete with larger rear mufflers (that can be silenced on a remote button switch) - Now I have the best of both worlds - having lots of fun in manual mode as well shifting for full 'bang' for buck.

Good to know! I've still got my straight bit of pipe, and it has the flanges on it - so I can get under the car and unbolt the resonator and bolt back in the straight bit of pipe.

Hmm.... I might be tempted to upgrade the mufflers now and give it another go. You didn't need a retune to get the DSG farts? And does it only happen above a certain RPM?

Users Country Flag
    . You didn't need a retune to get the DSG farts? And does it only happen above a certain RPM?
    No retune required (checked by turning off the JB4)- I get the DSG bang/farts all over the place but sweet spot is 5000-6000 rpm- they really are great fun. I'll look up the model number of the mufflers I got put on and add it to this (the boxes are under the house with the original flanged mufflers when I want to return to stock).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by LRDV8R View Post
    No retune required (checked by turning off the JB4)- I get the DSG bang/farts all over the place but sweet spot is 5000-6000 rpm- they really are great fun. I'll look up the model number of the mufflers I got put on and add it to this (the boxes are under the house with the original flanged mufflers when I want to return to stock).
    Hi

Any luck with the model numbers for the mufflers (back boxes) yet

I am am really interested in purchasing them myself to get the best sound from the engine so wanted to do some research

Then hoping I can get them in England!! Fingers crossed!

Hey buddy, I assume yours is the 280PS 4motion? I don’t suppose you happen to have taken any videos with sound for when you had the resonator off? I’m about to get a remap, new intake, and was going to do this at the same time but you have me a little concerned now.

Quote Originally Posted by WetFishDB View Post
    Hey buddy, I assume yours is the 280PS 4motion? I don’t suppose you happen to have taken any videos with sound for when you had the resonator off? I’m about to get a remap, new intake, and was going to do this at the same time but you have me a little concerned now.
    Yep that's right... the 280PW 4 Motion model. Also known as the R Line version - here in Australia that's all we get.

I didn't get any video/sound recordings but at idle it sounded like factory. I would recommend changing the rear mufflers to get the sound you're probably looking for. Just deleting the resonator and using the factory mufflers caused that annoying sound I talked about in the rev range. I mean...I found it annoying enough that I had to go back to factory. It may bother other people less, but after the elegant rumble of my previous Golf R, the sound coming from the Arteon wasn't anything to show off when it hit that particular spot in the rev range. I can't imagine what it sounded like outside the car, except probably to make a slick sedan sound like a garage modified hot hatch.

I would dare say even if you kept the middle resonator in, and just changed the mufflers only you would still get a better sound.

One thing you can do (and your exhaust guy should be able to do it fairly easily) - is get flanges welded to the new straight bit of pipe that will go in. That way, if you're unhappy with the sound, you can just get under the car - unbolt the pipe, and bolt back in your resonator. My guy only charged $50 AUD (27 GBP) to put the resonator back in...so for me the time vs effort vs cost meant it was probably easier to just get him to do it.

I personally couldn't live with the sound just in that particular part of the rev range. Under load and higher in the rev range it did sound better from within the car (with the exhaust valves open). But I do most of my driving under 4000rpm - so it started to get on my nerves after a while.

Thanks buddy. Such a shame as some of the other MQB cars sound great with it removed. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe a muffler change is the way to go, although with the expense that may have to wait a while.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast