Thread: Arteon Dropped from Aussie Showrooms

Users Country Flag

Arteon Dropped from Aussie Showrooms

Will the Arteon return to Australia?

Time will tell ....

Volkswagen Arteon dropped from Australian showrooms

Users Country Flag
    As at November, sold 376 year to date. Hardly a compelling business case to bring it back. It could return as a halo model, but that would require VW to invest in substantial marketing, unlikely since the arrival of the more marketable new Touareg. Shame, 29,000 k's in I still love mine, though I bought it because I knew it was something a bit different, never destined to be popular.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowalski View Post
    As at November, sold 376 year to date. Hardly a compelling business case to bring it back. It could return as a halo model, but that would require VW to invest in substantial marketing, unlikely since the arrival of the more marketable new Touareg. Shame, 29,000 k's in I still love mine, though I bought it because I knew it was something a bit different, never destined to be popular.
    Agree with much of what you say Kowalski, but the Arteon was introduced into Australia as the halo of Volkswagen's passenger car range. Indeed, the 206TSI Passat sedan was discontinued to make way for the Arteon. It was always going to remain a niche model, but the seemingly haphazard pricing by Volkswagen didn't help matters in an SUV obsessed market.

Volkswagen Australia's focus will be on consolidating its SUV portfolio with T-Cross and T-Roc set to join the Tiguan and Toureg in 2020.

Sure, there's a mid-life update to the Passat just 'round the corner for Australia, but it's not going to take priority over the SUV onslaught or the introduction of the next gen Golf.

It's a ruthless new car market in Australia and the fact new car sales keep falling means every dealer in Australia regardless of manufacturer has to be be strategic in their lineup. The only sedan that appeals to mainstream buyers in Australia nowadays is the Toyota Camry. It's goodbye to the Commodore, a question mark over the Subaru Liberty, dwindling sales for the Mazda6, invisibility for the Ford Mondeo, rumours the Kia Stinger won't continue after its current generation and Honda Accord reintroduced with minimal sales expected at best. The Passat will survive (just take a look at Victoria's Police Force), but it won't ever sell to the general public as well as in years gone by.

I do believe the WLTP emissions testing is a significant factor, but it doesn't tell the whole story for the Arteon in Australia.

C'est La Vie!
    Last edited by Buzy_Robot; 18-12-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Whoa!

I'm glad I got the guaranteed buy-back price then!
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Had a robust discussion yesterday with my local VW dealer and they're adamant that the Arteon will return to Australia this time next year. Part of the mid-life update will include an interior and infotainment system highly reminiscent of the current Touareg. Watch this space!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Buzy_Robot View Post
    Had a robust discussion yesterday with my local VW dealer and they're adamant that the Arteon will return to Australia this time next year. Part of the mid-life update will include an interior and infotainment system highly reminiscent of the current Touareg. Watch this space!
    Thanks for letting us know.

Don't feed on the fear. Look at the Scirocco, it's a well sort after car despite it's similarities to the Golf. Yeah it might take a while to sell but you bought an obscure VW.
    Arteon & T-Roc