Thread: Arteon Brake Pad Replace DIY Warning

Users Country Flag

Exclamation Arteon Brake Pad Replace DIY Warning

Double check the length before purchasing

Beware when purchasing brake pads as all of the big manufacturers are listing the wrong pads for our cars in Australia.

Note that my Arteon was born in 2017 and this information my be incorrect for your car. If others can confirm my finding then that would be appreciated. Even the VW Parts website lists the wrong size for MY car.

Confirmed Correct

Bremtec BT18180ELC (Fronts) are confirmed by me to be the correct size. They are 175mm in length.

Note, these are not correct and there may be more.

Zimmermann 25683.200.2 (160mm in length)
    Bendix DB2383 (160mm in length)

Vw wanted over $1000 to replace the front rotors and pads with genuine parts, so I decided to DIY. I purchased a set from Sparesbox and half way through the install I noticed the pads were the wrong size. They are listen on Sparesbox and the manufacturers site as fitting. This was on a saturday and Repco and Supercheap couldn't find a set that fit.

I ended up going to Automotive Superstore | Car Parts, Audio, Accessories & Spares Online and the legends there had some Bremtecs with Passat CC listed on the box that fit.

Hopefully this helps someone else. Although there was no way for me to know I still feel stupid.
    Last edited by HiddenTaco; 10-11-2020 at 10:38 AM.
    Arteon & T-Roc

Users Country Flag
    Thus highlighting the importance of using reliable suppliers that use your VIN to pick the correct parts.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Thus highlighting the importance of using reliable suppliers that use your VIN to pick the correct parts.
    Unfortunately the VIN didn't work in any system they tried including VW Parts. And looking up the make, model and year turns up the right car with the wrong parts.
    Arteon & T-Roc

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenTaco View Post
    Unfortunately the VIN didn't work in any system they tried including VW Parts. And looking up the make, model and year turns up the right car with the wrong parts.
    Speaking from the view of a parts interpreter the VIN number is the only sure way to get the proper parts and if the website does not use the VIN then you or they are just guessing as you found out.

Users Country Flag
    Thank you very much indeed for this very useful information, HiddenTaco.

My Arteon has reached 42,748 kms and now has the check brake pad message.

Between the pads, servicing and wheel alignment, the beast is going to cost me a small fortune!
    MY22 Volkswagen Arteon

Users Country Flag
    Hi all,
    I also had to replace brake pads on my 2018 , interesting that brake light came on at just when it ticked over 42000 km, just like Buzy_Robot's
    I can confirm that the front pads are Bremtec BT18180ELC as mentioned by HiddenTaco and the rear ones are Bremtec BT19920ELC .
    I got them from Autoelec.com.au $95 for the front and $88 for the rear, both were easy to replace.
    Arteon 2018 ,white , Sound and Style Package , Sunroof, APR Stage 1,Turbo Inlet ,K&N

Thanks very much for the heads up. I was going to order from Sparesbox so this saves a lot of headache.

Even putting the VIN into other sites it still shows the smaller pad size as being correct, was there some sort of inventory error by VW I wonder?

Using the VIN I also get different rotor size options (312mm or 340mm front, 300mm or 310mm rear). I am guessing the larger size is what fits the 206tsi? Not sure why there would be two options in Australia.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedi View Post
    Thanks very much for the heads up. I was going to order from Sparesbox so this saves a lot of headache.

Even putting the VIN into other sites it still shows the smaller pad size as being correct, was there some sort of inventory error by VW I wonder?

Using the VIN I also get different rotor size options (312mm or 340mm front, 300mm or 310mm rear). I am guessing the larger size is what fits the 206tsi? Not sure why there would be two options in Australia.
    In Australia (different in overseas markets), they only released the 206TSI.
    As such, it has (F) 340x30mm (vented) / (R) 310x22mm (vented) rotors.
    TDI models, such as Passat & Superb run (F) 312x25mm (vented) / (R) 300x12mm (solid) rotors.
    Really quite easy to get the "CORRECT" info, contact your local VW Parts Department, supply your VIN and they will give you the part numbers... Then cross reference to your chosen aftermarket brand if you wish.
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Has anyone used DBA pads and rotors for the front of their Arteon? I'm having some fitment issues. The pads don't seem to cover the entire surface of the rotor, about 1cm from the inside hub is untouched by the pads.

Arteon Brake Pad Replace DIY Warning-image000000-2-jpg

Arteon Brake Pad Replace DIY Warning-image000001-1-jpg

Pads are: DB8849SP
    Rotors are: DBA42830S

These are the correctly updated ones for the Arteon 340mm rotors. I thought the pads must not be wide enough. I called DBA and they double checked that everything is the same size as OEM pads.

Could the mechanic have not aligned the calipers properly? Is that even possible?

Not sure what to do with this. Thanks for any advice.