Thread: APR transmission tune - thoughts?

APR transmission tune - thoughts?

I bought my 2018 second hand last year. Turns out the previous owner installed the APR Stage 1 engine & transmission tunes plus cat back res delete. (Hate the res delete but that's a matter of just getting it reinstalled.)

The transmission, in D, is not great. Absurdly slow to kick down, like 2-3 seconds - ie no quicker than when it's in Economy mode. Constant struggle to get it in the right gear, it's super laggy. In S it's nice & nippy but i don't like leaving it in S, it's far too aggressive for driving around town. Especially with the rest delete - I feel like a teenager in an Evo...

Does anyone know, is the APR transmission tune tunable?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    The tune may have an updated version since it was installed on that vehicle - hard to say unless an agent plugs-in and does a diagnosis.
    Cheers

The slow kick down does seem to be a global issue on the DSG with some models having better factory tunes than others.

As above, checking for an updated APR version is a good idea.

You can check out the many YouTube vids to 'reset' the DSG memory by holding the accelerator for 10-20 seconds before starting the car. Worth a try and won't affect the APR.
    Last edited by Vedi; 25-05-2023 at 10:55 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gableguy1 View Post

The transmission, in D, is not great. Absurdly slow to kick down, like 2-3 seconds - ie no quicker than when it's in Economy mode. Constant struggle to get it in the right gear, it's super laggy. In S it's nice & nippy but i don't like leaving it in S, it's far too aggressive for driving around town.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    These are the exact symptoms of a stock DSG tune. Does it actually have a DSG tune (or just something the seller claimed)? APR will be able to tell you.

BTW, there are better tuners for the DSG out there, APR not known to be amongst the best ....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    I have the RacingLine DSG and ECU tune and also have the same complaint.

Sports mode is great, but keeps the revs up around 2-3,000+ RPM, so is a bit revvy/aggressive to leave it in 'S' for everyday driving. But Normal ('D') is sluggish and slow to kick down. I'll often give the accelerator pedal a quick/deep jab to trick it to shift down (and to pre-spool the turbo a bit).

I'll try the DSG memory 'reset' and see if that helps it to relearn.

Users Country Flag

I tried the accelerator pedal 'reset today. Not sure if it has done anything, will know after driving it some more.

Looks like ODBEleven have a "Basic setting of transmission" app, which appears to do a reset.

APR transmission tune - thoughts?-screenshot_20230526-153942_obdeleven-vag-jpg

There's also a "Calibration of synchro - points of Transmission" app.. not sure what that one does, but it seems a lot of people have issues with that app..

APR transmission tune - thoughts?-screenshot_20230526-154001_obdeleven-vag-jpg
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon