Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Updating MIB 3 System - Mk 8 Golf

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rosgolf View Post
    Re: updating maps. I was expecting a progress bar. I thought it wasn't working but I left the USB in for a day and it just did it in the background.
    1) Did you only have the "AUS_6PR053_CT3WS-201H0_Offline_Update" folder on the USB stick?
    2) Did you have to do anything on the screen to start the process?
    3) I always have a USB stick in a USB port from which I run all my music. I wonder if I have to take that out, rather than just leaving it in and adding the map update stick in the other USB port?
    Golf VIII R-Line MY21.5 fully loaded – sunroof, sound & vision package (head-up display + Harman/Kardon stereo), Pomelo Yellow premium metallic (a.k.a. Lime Yellow in most markets) – ordered 18/3/21, delivered 17/8/21.
    Previous VW group cars: Golf VII Comfortline DSG MY15.5 pacific blue; Golf IV Sport MY04 reflex silver with sunroof; Golf III CL bahama blue; Audi A4 MY95 tornado red; Porsche 928S3 MY85 guards red with sunroof.

Users Country Flag
    I did say in regard to the maps that it takes about 20mins and YOU WILL NOT SEE ANYTHING HAPPEN.. According to my dealer it isnt possible to do it so SFA asking them. Follow what I said It works as some have found out.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 09-10-2021 at 01:27 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    1 No You UNZIP that folder to your USB drive and it comes out as 28 folders and a list file
    2 No
    3 No

I posted in reply 4 how to do it
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 09-10-2021 at 01:26 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Hillbilly.

I found out why it isn't working for me, through some instructions I found on the USA VW service website. In my case it was partly due to the wrong formatting of the USB stick and partly due to other files on the USB stick (which my Mac put there). The document says:

• Insert the USB-C Stick into the USB-C port of your computer. If your computer does not have a USB-C port, this can be connected to the computer using a suitable adapter.
    • Delete all files on the USB-C Stick or reformat your USB-C Stick. There should not be any other files on the USB-C Stick.
    • The USB-C stick must be formatted in the "exFAT" or “NTFS” format so that it can be recognized by the Discover Media.

In addition, the (Mac) OS-X operating system has a tendency to create hidden additional files on external data media. We therefore recommend that OS X users use the “Keka” unzipping program. We also recommend using the “CleanMyDrive” program to remove any hidden files.

Installing the map material
    1. Insert the USB-C stick into the USB-C port of your vehicle.
    2. Switch on the ignition.
    3. Now select the "MENU" button on the Discover Media. In the “Setup” menu you will find the“System information”, check the installed navigation database version.
    4. Keep ignition ON for at least 30-40 minutes after USB-C stick with navigation database is inserted in the USB-C port of the vehicle. The engine must be on during map update process.
    5. Your car will automatically start downloading the map update in the background and no interaction or consent is required in HMI to initialize map update process.
    6. Switch off your engine then re-start your vehicle after 5-10 minutes to check the installed map database version. Please make sure that there is no active route in navigation system before turning the engine off.

NOTE:
    The ignition must be left on while the data is being copied. Please ensure that the battery voltage is high enough to carry out the update (when the vehicle is stationary, switch off all electrical equipment that is not required, e.g. lighting, blowers, seat heating etc.). Connect a charger to the vehicle’s battery, if necessary. If the process is interrupted – for example, by parking the vehicle – the copying process automatically continues at the point at which it was interrupted as soon as the ignition is switched on.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 10-10-2021 at 08:17 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    Thanks Hillbilly.

I found out why it isn't working for me, through some instructions I found on the USA VW service website. In my case it was partly due to the wrong formatting of the USB stick and partly due to other files on the USB stick (which my Mac put there). The document says:

• Insert the USB-C Stick into the USB-C port of your computer. If your computer does not have a USB-C port, this can be connected to the computer using a suitable adapter.
    • Delete all files on the USB-C Stick or reformat your USB-C Stick. There should not be any other files on the USB-C Stick.
    • The USB-C stick must be formatted in the "exFAT" or “NTFS” format so that it can be recognized by the Discover Media.

In addition, the (Mac) OS-X operating system has a tendency to create hidden additional files on external data media. We therefore recommend that OS X users use the “Keka” unzipping program. We also recommend using the “CleanMyDrive” program to remove any hidden files.

Installing the map material
    1. Insert the USB-C stick into the USB-C port of your vehicle.
    2. Switch on the ignition.
    3. Now select the "MENU" button on the Discover Media. In the “Setup” menu you will find the“System information”, check the installed navigation database version.
    4. Keep ignition ON for at least 30-40 minutes after USB-C stick with navigation database is inserted in the USB-C port of the vehicle. The engine must be on during map update process.
    5. Your car will automatically start downloading the map update in the background and no interaction or consent is required in HMI to initialize map update process.
    6. Switch off your engine then re-start your vehicle after 5-10 minutes to check the installed map database version. Please make sure that there is no active route in navigation system before turning the engine off.

NOTE:
    The ignition must be left on while the data is being copied. Please ensure that the battery voltage is high enough to carry out the update (when the vehicle is stationary, switch off all electrical equipment that is not required, e.g. lighting, blowers, seat heating etc.). Connect a charger to the vehicle’s battery, if necessary. If the process is interrupted – for example, by parking the vehicle – the copying process automatically continues at the point at which it was interrupted as soon as the ignition is switched on.
    The ONLY problem you have is that you have a devils spawn Apple product. I have updated our Kamiq with a stick that had other stuff on it and done POI on a MIB2 the same. The stick I used is formatted in FAT32 and it worked first time.
    Have also done bigger capacity cards in ExFat and they work ok
    The rest is a rather long winded version of what I said and is incorrect in that it takes about 20 mins for the map update to load.
    Macs and VW have been fairly incompatible for years and if you use one it pays to say so as most use a real PC LOL, that doesnt do stupid things that are built into Apple products.
    My music is on a USB C stick formatted in FAT 32 and has 1200 tracks on it that play perfectly
    You can only load a maximum of 1000 tracks into a MIB2.5 at one time but i found if I put more on a new stick it will then load the rest
    The only real difference in the last 11 years is it wasnt a good idea to interrupt a RNS510 when updating, the MIB 2 can be just turned off and will recommence but gives a progress bar, the MIB3 we get is a crippled version of the Euro one as it doesnt get over the air updates which presumably would have an progress bar. NONE of them liked maps unzipped in a MAC
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 02-10-2022 at 05:22 PM.

Users Country Flag
    As an update to the above users should remember that other areas of the world have larger maps and so will of course take longer to load.
    With the varying specs of models in other countries it pays to stick to what we have here in AUS , this being an AUS forum. Interestingly on the VW portal there is no map for USA for a Mib3 IE the (T Cross)I use for my map

Users Country Flag
    Does anyone know what the latest official MIB3 firmware update for Australia is?
    I took delivery of an R Wagon in December 2023, with build date of June 2023.

I have firmware version 1900. I find that I cannot deactivate the electric seat from moving backwards when exiting the car - crushing my rear seat occupant.

I have read that 1941 restored this functionality in Europe.
    Does anyone know if 1941 is available for VW dealerships? I'm not willing to try firmware updates myself.

Thank you

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MY23_R_Wagon View Post
    Does anyone know what the latest official MIB3 firmware update for Australia is?
    I took delivery of an R Wagon in December 2023, with build date of June 2023.

I have firmware version 1900. I find that I cannot deactivate the electric seat from moving backwards when exiting the car - crushing my rear seat occupant.

I have read that 1941 restored this functionality in Europe.
    Does anyone know if 1941 is available for VW dealerships? I'm not willing to try firmware updates myself.

Thank you
    You dont need a firmware update if it does it. My Kamiq doesnt have it as it hasnt got memory seats but in my Tiguan it could be turned on or off as needed by using an OBD11 As as Im concerned being over 6ft 2 with long legs, its the best thing since sliced bread and doesnt go back far enough to upset rear passengers. Ask on the Tech forum for someone in your area to do it for you Takes all of about 30 secs and will never work again
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 14-01-2024 at 11:04 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Ok. I will try following up with VW Australia regarding firmware updates. Not sure I can be bothered buying an OBDEleven to "fix" something that VW should fix themselves.
    I will just make sure my tallest son is sitting behind me when I turn off the vehicle, as he gets squashed.

As per here Convenience Seating Function | Page 2 | GOLFMK8 - VW GTI MK8 Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MK8 Forum / VW e-Golf Forum it seems v1941 and above restores this function to have operating radio buttons to turn feature on/off.
    Last edited by MY23_R_Wagon; 15-01-2024 at 08:48 AM.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MY23_R_Wagon View Post
    Ok. I will try following up with VW Australia regarding firmware updates. Not sure I can be bothered buying an OBDEleven to "fix" something that VW should fix themselves.
    I will just make sure my tallest son is sitting behind me when I turn off the vehicle, as he gets squashed.

As per here Convenience Seating Function | Page 2 | GOLFMK8 - VW GTI MK8 Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MK8 Forum / VW e-Golf Forum it seems v1941 and above restores this function to have operating radio buttons to turn feature on/off.
    Weird as I could do that on an MIB2.5 in my Tiguan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast