Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updating MIB 3 System - Mk 8 Golf

Unhappy Updating MIB 3 System - Mk 8 Golf

Does anyone know if we will be getting software updates for MIB III Discover Pro screens in Australia? Our Golf MK8 R-Line is on 1803 and I think Europe is slowly releasing 1810. I contacted VW Australia and they gave me a link on how to update the map, they were a bit confused by my request and then said that Australia wouldn't be getting updates at this time. I know Australia will never offer OTA updates, but hopefully the dealerships can fix the very buggy interface soon.

Oh also, has anyone worked out to add radio logos like you could in the Mk7.5 Golf Discover Pro? Thank you!

Users Country Flag
    I don't think there's a way to add the radio logos. It seems to need to do it from a logo embedded in the radio signal (which I don't think Aussie AM/FM radio stations have).
    I can't say I've experienced a buggy interface, and my R-Line is also on 1803. On the other hand, I think VW Australia ought to release a video showing how to use the interface. I've watched quite a few YouTube videos, so I think I know a fair bit about using the screen well, using the shortcut keys around the hazard switch, plus creating my own shortcuts. In the first couple of weeks I was confused why the screen did things I didn't expect, but most of that was solved by trying and practising how and where to use using the swipe gesture.
    I plan to take the car in for an oil and filter change when I reach 5,000km as someone at VW told me they put different oil in the car for running-in. At the same time I may as well ask them to do the software update. My hardware number is H56; Display unit hardware H41; Display unit software 3074; Navigation database 20.3; Media codec 3.1.4.
    Golf VIII R-Line MY21.5 fully loaded – sunroof, sound & vision package (head-up display + Harman/Kardon stereo), Pomelo Yellow premium metallic (a.k.a. Lime Yellow in most markets) – ordered 18/3/21, delivered 17/8/21.
    Previous VW group cars: Golf VII Comfortline DSG MY15.5 pacific blue; Golf IV Sport MY04 reflex silver with sunroof; Golf III CL bahama blue; Audi A4 MY95 tornado red; Porsche 928S3 MY85 guards red with sunroof.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    I don't think there's a way to add the radio logos. It seems to need to do it from a logo embedded in the radio signal (which I don't think Aussie AM/FM radio stations have).
    I can't say I've experienced a buggy interface, and my R-Line is also on 1803. On the other hand, I think VW Australia ought to release a video showing how to use the interface. I've watched quite a few YouTube videos, so I think I know a fair bit about using the screen well, using the shortcut keys around the hazard switch, plus creating my own shortcuts. In the first couple of weeks I was confused why the screen did things I didn't expect, but most of that was solved by trying and practising how and where to use using the swipe gesture.
    I plan to take the car in for an oil and filter change when I reach 5,000km as someone at VW told me they put different oil in the car for running-in. At the same time I may as well ask them to do the software update. My hardware number is H56; Display unit hardware H41; Display unit software 3074; Navigation database 20.3; Media codec 3.1.4.

There is no known way to have radio logos apart from Euro cars with OTA and dealers will only update firmware if unit has a problem. So far havent heard of any who can do that

They DONT use running in oil as engines are prerun in at the factory. The 1500km check is Open the bonnet,hmm no leaks, look underneath, ditto. Wheel it out. The current map update is 21.2 and can be updated by going to the VW portal ,d/load the update applicable and unzip it to a USB C stick and poke it in the car. Nothing will seem to happen but after about 20 mins if you reboot the MMI it should show 21.2

Also the software and map versions vary across the world and what we have here maybe the latest for the ROW models which we have
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 09-10-2021 at 01:14 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    I plan to take the car in for an oil and filter change when I reach 5,000km as someone at VW told me they put different oil in the car for running-in.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with doing an oil change early for a brand new engine, but VW nor any other mainstream car manufacturer use any kind of special running-in oil, so whoever told you that is misinformed. VW normally talk you out of doing an early oil change, so either do it yourself or take it elsewhere if you want it done (assuming VW arent willing to do it).

Dedicated running-in oils are only designed to be in a running engine for a matter of hours (no more than 400-500km of driving) so there is no way any mainstream car manufacturers would use it. The engines are assembled, filled with whatever normal oil VW use (usually Castrol), given a quick run on the rolling road at the factory to ensure all is ok and then sent on their way.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    The current map update is 21.2 and can be updated by going to the VW portal
    Thanks for the tip. Where is the portal, please? Is it erWin (erwin.volkswagen.de)?
    Golf VIII R-Line MY21.5 fully loaded – sunroof, sound & vision package (head-up display + Harman/Kardon stereo), Pomelo Yellow premium metallic (a.k.a. Lime Yellow in most markets) – ordered 18/3/21, delivered 17/8/21.
    Previous VW group cars: Golf VII Comfortline DSG MY15.5 pacific blue; Golf IV Sport MY04 reflex silver with sunroof; Golf III CL bahama blue; Audi A4 MY95 tornado red; Porsche 928S3 MY85 guards red with sunroof.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the tip. Where is the portal, please? Is it erWin (erwin.volkswagen.de)?
    Volkswagen Map Updates

Same s**t different way of getting there Volkswagen Map Updates

Personally I get mine off the Skoda portal as they have them earlier than VW
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I've found the maps in the Active Info Display to be very jerky and dropping frames. This never happened in the Mk7.5.

Apparently the MY22 will have DAB, which is a bit annoying.

Re: updating maps. I was expecting a progress bar. I thought it wasn't working but I left the USB in for a day and it just did it in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by rosgolf View Post
    Re: updating maps. I was expecting a progress bar. I thought it wasn't working but I left the USB in for a day and it just did it in the background.
    Same thing in my T-Roc with MIB3. Placed in the USB stick expecting it to load showing progress, nothing. Left it in for a few days and it done its thing in the background.
    Would be nice to have Volkswagen document in more detail on what to do, or better still if VW Australia produce a quick youtube video of how to do it.

Thankfully in Australia we have the option of doing updates ourselves. The guys in UK/Europe have to rely on over the air updates which have not worked too well for some.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast