Thread: Playing videos

Users Country Flag

Playing videos

Did you know you can play videos on the main screen? I play videos from my USB stick. It will show the video whenever the car stops, but continue just playing the sound while the car is in motion.

Therefore it's great to play music videos, as you can listen to the music the whole time, and watch the video while you're stopped at traffic lights, or waiting for someone you're picking up.
    Golf VIII R-Line MY21.5 fully loaded – sunroof, sound & vision package (head-up display + Harman/Kardon stereo), Pomelo Yellow premium metallic (a.k.a. Lime Yellow in most markets) – ordered 18/3/21, delivered 17/8/21.
    Previous VW group cars: Golf VII Comfortline DSG MY15.5 pacific blue; Golf IV Sport MY04 reflex silver with sunroof; Golf III CL bahama blue; Audi A4 MY95 tornado red; Porsche 928S3 MY85 guards red with sunroof.

Users Country Flag
    Can enable it to play while you are moving as well but is illegal as driver can see it. Probably also in the way you are using it so dont be looking if a cop pulls up beside you as would be classed the same as watching one on your phone

Hate people checking phones etc and just sitting oblivious at the lights. F wits.

1) A driver must not drive a vehicle that has a television receiver or visual display unit in or on the vehicle operating while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked, if any part of the image on the screen--

(a) is visible to the driver from the normal driving position, or

(b) is likely to distract another driver.

: Maximum penalty--20 penalty units.

Note :
    "Park" is defined in the Dictionary, and
    "vehicle" is defined in rule 15.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 16-12-2021 at 11:18 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    (b) is likely to distract another driver.
    I wonder if headrest/roof mounted screens would meet that benchmark for cars driving behind?

In any case, this sort of functionality has been around since the RNS510 allowed DVD playback way back when, although as is pointed out if you were stopped at lights watching you could/would be fined.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    is stationary but not parked
    Ouch. Thanks for that. I presume you're quoting Qld law. I'll try to look into SA law.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    Ouch. Thanks for that. I presume you're quoting Qld law. I'll try to look into SA law.
    Actually is NSW but it is Australia wide and AFAIK is in the AUS traffic rules Why would SA be different

Here you go and I presume it applies in SA cos it happened in SA

Traffic Offences - Driver Distraction: "I only looked away for a second!"

Perhaps you could be like this guy who was also in SA

I remember a dhead in the caravanners forum who wanted to mount a screen so he could watch DVD's on boring roads

He got a right "boring" of a different kind Absolutely barmy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Playing videos-truckee-jpg  
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 16-12-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Actually is NSW but it is Australia wide and AFAIK is in the AUS traffic rules Why would SA be different
    Australian traffic rules are just guidlines. Whether states use them or not is up to them. Similar to ADRs. Each state is different.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    Australian traffic rules are just guidlines. Whether states use them or not is up to them. Similar to ADRs. Each state is different.

Sorry you are wrong ALL vehicles sold in AUS MUST comply with ADR's No ifs or buts.

EG JAP imports must have certain things like seatbelts changed to comply with ADR's

Also how can a RULE be just a GUIDLINE

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I remember a dhead in the caravanners forum who wanted to mount a screen so he could watch DVD's on boring roads
    Let me assure you – the Golf 8, rightfully, will refuse to play any video while the car is moving, with a warning along the lines that it can't as it's not safe.