Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mk 8 Golf GTI infotainment sound problems

Mk 8 Golf GTI infotainment sound problems

Brand new Mk8 Golf GTI

1. The volume is so unacceptably low at 100% maximum volume that stereo can barely be heard over road noise. Regardless of wired, wireless, radio or apple CarPlay. This was confirmed when dealer loan vehicle, a base model 6 speaker T-Cross was far louder at 15% volume than mine at 100%. The T-cross being half the value of my 7 speaker GTI.

2. At 100% volume the rear speakers are barely audible.

3. What poor volume there is, suffers with ‘soft clipping’. And any hint of bass or audible is faded out resulting in head wrecking variable playback.

4. The wireless feature continually disconnects, 6x during my 4 hours commute. To reconnect you need to accept on your mobile, you can only do this whilst stationary. During disconnect screen goes totally black.

The dealer stated, he compared my vehicle to another MK8 Golf GTI he had which was exactly the same, no software updates are currently available and as far as he was concerned, I could not compare it to the sound of any other vehicle, it is manufacturer specifications. To take it up with VW Australia.

The sound and faults on my vehicle are completely unacceptable, I can barely hear it over road noise. I am not demanding or an audiophile, my vehicle and maybe all new golf GTI's have a software fault no being admitted to by VW. Who else has this problem on their Mk8 Golf???

Last edited by Barryjohn75; 03-11-2022 at 12:30 PM.

Users Country Flag
    'Sounds' like it may have the incorrect dataset loaded on it. Might be setup for an amplifier so is outputting line level instead of speaker level.
    If that is the case then the dealer would be able to fix it by connecting the vehicle up to their diagnostics system called ODIS and performing a check against SVM for the 5F infotainment system. If the wrong parameters are currently applied it should download the correct set to your MIB unit behind the glovebox.

Or it could be a software issue...the CEO didn't just get booted for overseeing a stella transformation into a software-centric business...
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    I have an R-Line with the H/K sound system. Even at 25% volume my daughter (a singer used to loud music) complains it's too loud.
    Golf VIII R-Line MY21.5 fully loaded – sunroof, sound & vision package (head-up display + Harman/Kardon stereo), Pomelo Yellow premium metallic (a.k.a. Lime Yellow in most markets) – ordered 18/3/21, delivered 17/8/21.
    Previous VW group cars: Golf VII Comfortline DSG MY15.5 pacific blue; Golf IV Sport MY04 reflex silver with sunroof; Golf III CL bahama blue; Audi A4 MY95 tornado red; Porsche 928S3 MY85 guards red with sunroof.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    I have an R-Line with the H/K sound system. Even at 25% volume my daughter (a singer used to loud music) complains it's too loud.
    The Harman Kardon system has an external amp. I suspect that the OP's car has the config on the MIB for a car that is supposed to have an amp like yours.
    Last edited by kamold; 30-07-2022 at 05:57 PM.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

I’m having the same issues in my parent’s Golf Life. They’re overseas at the moment so I picked it up from the dealer and have been driving it over the past week.

I believe it’s the same standard 7 speaker system the GTI has, happy to be corrected though. It’s a shame because the sound quality seems much better than their previous 7.5 Golf Comfortline and my ex’s 7.5 GTI.

I thought it must have been a volume limit to do with wireless CarPlay but dug through the settings on my phone, in Spotify and in the car and couldn’t find anything that made a difference. Turned off the car’s speed sensitive volume adjustment and the start up sound limit but neither affected the volume limit.

When you adjust the volume above 40-50% the volume bar increases all the way up to 100% but the sound itself doesn’t. Happens on CarPlay, FM and DAB radio. Haven’t tried AM.

Done about 350km over the past week and have had 4 or 5 CarPlay dropouts where the audio would glitch and then come back, and one total CarPlay dropout where the screen went black and I couldn’t get it to come back for the rest of the drive, at least the car’s radio and nav was still working.

The wireless charger also seems a poor design, if my phone isn’t perfectly centred it won’t charge - I have a grippy silicone case on it but still slides off centre during normal driving and stops charging.

Sounds like it’s a software fault on them all to me, not that VW would dream of admitting it. Register your complaint via customer service as I have, awaiting a response. Completely disgusting to have all these errors in a brand new car!

Certainly have no problem with my R-Line, no lack of volume at all.
    Derek
    Alexandra
    2022 R-Line Golf Mk8 in Kings Red Metallic
    Previously 3 Tiguans 2008, 2013, 2017

My Golf R has the same issue, the standard 7 speaker system seems to peak volume at about 60%. No difference between 60-100% volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VW Australia couldn’t care less. Standard response, ‘we have checked and there are currently no software updates for your vehicle
    Last edited by Barryjohn75; 03-11-2022 at 12:31 PM.

Users Country Flag

I was at my dealership recently, and during a discussion about audio systems, the sales manager actually demonstrated the "issue" with the standard mk8 volume. We could hold a conversation inside the car with the volume set to 100%, pretty lacklustre. No noticable difference between 60 and 100% volume settings either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast