Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk 8 Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77 View Post
    Just so long as they give you Dynaudio eh kennyc?
    Why be like that????
    MK7.5 R|Lapiz Blue|DAP|Sunroof|Tint
    SOLD MK7 GTI|DSG|Carbon Steel|Leather|Panoramic Sunroof|Bi-Xenon Lights|Driver Assist|Tint|Euro Plates
    SOLD MK6 GTI|5 Door DSG|Carbon Steel|Leather|Sunroof|Electric Driver Seat|MDI|Tint

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    Why be like that????
    Sorry mate, I know it's a sore point.

In all seriousness you'd think VW Oz saw the light and brought it back by demand and keep it on for Mk8.

Surely there are some after market options if you're an audiophile that are superior? Albeit I guess this should be carried back to the Mk7 thread..

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    My wife and I jumped into her M7 Highline and drove from Sydney to Coonawarra in 12 hours with one stop at Albury for fuel, for us and the Golf. Try that in an electric car

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77 View Post
    The drawback for electric is more than lack of noise. The weight and range still needs a lot of work, irrespective of what Tesla want to boast about.. and the cost. Now sure, if Governments are stupidly going to subsidise the recharging then eventually by the time I'm dead we might hit the payback period finally - if the batteries lasted that long.

Clearly hybrid solutions are still going to be the backbone for some time and I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of the hydrogen fuel cell technology that VAG has seemingly abandoned for now.
    I have no interest in buying an electric car for myself, because I'm too much of a petrol head. I also get really worked up by "greenwashing".

Nonetheless the evidence that electric cars are demonstrably better (or perhaps "less worse") for the environment in terms of net carbon emissions is very clear. The financial payback is also there, if you do a lot of kms of mostly city driving (e.g. fleet cars). Otherwise if your prime concern with a car is cost of ownership, the answer is to buy a Hyundai i20.

The government doesn't need to subsidise charging infrastructure. We already have it. There are under-utilised powerlines on every street. Our power bills are going up largely because of fixed network charges (poles & wires). If those poles & wires are better utilised, the fixed costs are spread out more and the amortized price of a unit of energy (kWh) will drop. Of the 25-30c you pay for a kWh of energy, roughly only 6c is the wholesale price to generate that unit of energy.

The biggy is where the electrical energy comes from of course. Electric cars will still provide a marginal net benefit in terms of lifecycle analysis of their environmental impact even if run totally on coal electricity, however obviously if you can charge it from renewable sources it will be much cleaner (or "less dirty").

There are also the benefits of energy security and volatility. If you drive a petrol car, your energy costs and security are pretty much totally at the mercy of international producers, most of whom are not our friends. On the other hand, as a country we can be 100% self sufficient for our electrical energy.

So you might have your opinion about an ideology, which is fine, but most of it is actually just sensible logic and not ideology at all. The problem is you only ever hear from the noisy preachy ones who are ideologues.

*edit* P.S. I am an electrical engineer who has done a significant amount of work in this field and was recently commissioned by the Qld Govt to write a paper about it.
    Last edited by Tobes_WIR35; 31-03-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Any idea when the Mark8 R will be released? Can someone point me to a site with the specs?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulc1964au View Post
    Any idea when the Mark8 R will be released? Can someone point me to a site with the specs?
    Mk8 won't be launched next year with the first cars to come off the line in June 2019. Oz release is sometime in 2020. This site is saying it will be a little bigger than current golf with some cars getting a 48v mild hybrid system while the R will get a bump to 260kW.

New 2019 Volkswagen Golf Mk8 spied for the first time | Auto Express
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

Gee going to be some wait i woner if its worth it

And then you have the mandatory 12 months model release wait so they can fix any faults for the first batch.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag
    Looks like the rumours are firming up on a Mk 8 Golf R with 300 kW. Carsales have an article on it today.

VW, if you are listening, make it in wagon form as well please.
    Looking for:- RS4 B7 Avant.
    Current:- Amarok V6 Sportline; Mazda CX-9 Azami AWD
    Previous - Mk 6 R manual; Mk 7 R manual; Passat 130 TDi Wagon. Mk 7.5 Wolfsburg Wagon.

Users Country Flag

German car magazine AutoBild mentioned in their article about future VW R models that Audi refused to lend the 2.5 litre, 5 cyl unit for the new Golf R due in 2020 so there is a chance that it might be built with the upcoming 3.0 VR6 Turbo but detuned from Arteon / Passat R. They talked about roughly 260kw as mentioned above.

2015 Tiguan 130TDI R-Line, Pepper Grey, Panoramic Sunroof
    MY15 TIGUAN 130TDI R-LINE - Pepper Grey, Panoramic Sunroof

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast