Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk 8 Golf

Users Country Flag

I'm not disputing the instant torque/acceleration benefit, but pure electric is as boring as bat excreta.

I can accept it in a hybrid form - particularly in a Porsche style performance application, and with the added benefits in stop/start traffic in pure electric mode, but the battery weight and other limitations have zero appeal.

I also can't stand the pompous gits who think they're saving the world who drive them.. particularly the new age Tesla driver who actually has the money to buy something decent and still chooses mediocrity in some pointless green flag waving exercise. It's a drivers version of a Hollywood tool flying on a private jet to attend a 'tell the rest of the world how to live' conference in some ski resort halfway across the world.

Damn it I should really grab my morning coffee before logging on here.

Maybe I'll just keep an eye out on the HSV converted Camaros.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77 View Post

MY18 GOLF 110TSI I HIGHLINE I Indium I Panoramic Sunroof I DAP I IP
    MY18 TIGUAN 162TSI I R-LINE I Ruby I DAP I IP

Users Country Flag
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

Users Country Flag
    I'd be happy with that side profile - feels chunky, a little Mk4 like in profile, or maybe it's just me.

I'm sure we will be seeing a lot of these renderings in the next year, although I prefer this over the dodgy render I picked up yesterday for the wheel thread.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

I'm not disputing the instant torque/acceleration benefit, but pure electric is as boring as bat excreta.

I can accept it in a hybrid form - particularly in a Porsche style performance application, and with the added benefits in stop/start traffic in pure electric mode, but the battery weight and other limitations have zero appeal.

I also can't stand the pompous gits who think they're saving the world who drive them.. particularly the new age Tesla driver who actually has the money to buy something decent and still chooses mediocrity in some pointless green flag waving exercise. It's a drivers version of a Hollywood tool flying on a private jet to attend a 'tell the rest of the world how to live' conference in some ski resort halfway across the world.

Maybe I'll just keep an eye out on the HSV converted Camaros.
    I feel as though you’re conflating technology with ideology. Don’t let smug preachers turn you off a type of engineering. The only drawback for electric cars is really the noise or lack of. When you really get a beast, however it sounds like banshees screaming their way out of hell. Watch this clip from the Nio EP9 interior breaking the Nurburgring record and see if it doesn’t grow on you. The acceleration potential, handling and speed is almost disturbing YouTube

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk R View Post
    I feel as though you’re conflating technology with ideology. Don’t let smug preachers turn you off a type of engineering. The only drawback for electric cars is really the noise or lack of. When you really get a beast, however it sounds like banshees screaming their way out of hell. Watch this clip from the Nio EP9 interior breaking the Nurburgring record and see if it doesn’t grow on you. The acceleration potential, handling and speed is almost disturbing YouTube
    I get what you're saying - and yes it is annoying that in some applications, like a one lap wonder, the electric solution is impressive.

The drawback for electric is more than lack of noise. The weight and range still needs a lot of work, irrespective of what Tesla want to boast about.. and the cost. Now sure, if Governments are stupidly going to subsidise the recharging then eventually by the time I'm dead we might hit the payback period finally - if the batteries lasted that long.

Clearly hybrid solutions are still going to be the backbone for some time and I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of the hydrogen fuel cell technology that VAG has seemingly abandoned for now.

I won't even get into the ideology.

For now, I'm glad the next GTI/R will be petrol.

Long live combustion and carbon.
    +100

For now, I'm glad the next GTI/R will be petrol.
    I'm with you on this Dutch. Couldn't give a toss about electric cars!
    MK7.5 R|Lapiz Blue|DAP|Sunroof|Tint
    SOLD MK7 GTI|DSG|Carbon Steel|Leather|Panoramic Sunroof|Bi-Xenon Lights|Driver Assist|Tint|Euro Plates
    SOLD MK6 GTI|5 Door DSG|Carbon Steel|Leather|Sunroof|Electric Driver Seat|MDI|Tint

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    +100

I'm with you on this Dutch. Couldn't give a toss about electric cars!
    Just so long as they give you Dynaudio eh kennyc?

Users Country Flag
    Just so long as they give you Dynaudio eh kennyc?
    How much would having the Dynaudio cranked up reduce the range?
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

Users Country Flag

The mark 8 will still be built on the mqb platform that the mark7 and 7.5 are so much like the mark 5 to mark 6 which used the same platform so expect handing and ride to be similar to current with upgraded interior with a lot more tech (yum yum) and a slightly changed exterior also more power and a 48 volt electric system so will be a interesting car coming into the change to driverless cars
    I will be holding off till the mark 9 with a whole new platform and engines in 2028ish if my mark 7.5 lasts that long
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast