Thread: Interesting comparison of Golf Mk7 and Mk8 interior

Interesting comparison of Golf Mk7 and Mk8 interior

I stumbled across this and found it very interesting.

I think the interior is a real bummer with the Mk8 with regards to quality and the lack of hard buttons.
    All the things mentioned in the video would annoy me.
    The main thing that would annoy me is disabling the stop-start which would require
    3 touch screen presses!
    We still don't know if OBD11 modifications can be made with the Mk8. If it is, that would be great BUT my next concern is that the Mk8 is no longer a closed system therefore a "flag" may be sent to VW.

What are other people's thoughts?
    I feel I am becoming an old man...
    Last edited by veew; 11-09-2020 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Embedded video link properly
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Thanks for the vid. I can see why he's not happy with a number of changes.

I agree, especially for the emphasis on touch-screen controls because currently, when I want to use the touch screen accurately, I need to rest one finger on the outer edge of the screen to stabilise my hand & then use another finger to touch the screen...The bumps while driving always work against me when i'm about to press the screen, hence the need to stabilise the hand...
    MY16 MK7 Golf GTI
    - Manual - Sunroof - Folding Mirrors - Lock/Unlock Chirp - 4x Indicator Flash - Traffic - MK7.5 LED Tail Lights with Sweeping Indicators - Dynablink Sweeping mirror LEDs - White LED's on rear rego plate -

Users Country Flag
    He raises some very valid points but I would have liked to have seen him use a similar specced 7.5 rather than the R. I really don't like the new open centre console look.
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

Users Country Flag
    Maybe I'm missing something here but isn't he comparing a ~$26k Golf Mk 8 poverty pack with a ~$56k Mk 7.5 Golf R?

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Interesting comparison of Golf Mk7 and Mk8 interior

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneykid View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here but isn't he comparing a ~$26k Golf Mk 8 poverty pack with a ~$56k Mk 7.5 Golf R?
    Cheers
    Gary
    You are right but do you really think the Mk8 Golf GTI/R will have a cup holder roller cover, storage compartment near the steering wheel, frameless mirror, strut for the bonnet etc?
    I think it will be unlikely.

We know that the Mk8 GTI engine cover is exactly the same as the povo pack Mk8 Golf.

Comparing a Mk7 and Mk8 base Golf would reveal similar cost cutting measures. Even the new Audi A3 has hard plastic door panels in the rear which is a sign of the cost cutting post-Dieselgate.
    Last edited by veew; 11-09-2020 at 09:03 PM.
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Users Country Flag
    I just chuckled at the comment "This guy just walked 14km comparing the two cars".

I agree the car spec level won't help some of those key things pointed out. The killer is the start-stop and HVAC stuff, for me anyway.

Agree they will be looking to put dollars on the bottom line, feels a bit like Mk5 to Mk6 and making changes to simplify and maximise cost savings. Is this actually the last Golf though - future is the ID.3?

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooboy View Post
    He raises some very valid points but I would have liked to have seen him use a similar specced 7.5 rather than the R. I really don't like the new open centre console look.
    I drive a lower grade of 7.5. The criticisms are still valid. The only significant difference aside from the analogue dials in my car is that the start/stop disable button is for me on the far side of the shifter (i.e. the same side as in the video) but that's what we get for living in a RHD market.

That said, there is a bit of cost cutting from the Mk6 to the Mk7.5 as well - some of the interior switchgear is definitely flimsier in the Mk7.5 and the rear sills are hard plastic rather than the soft variety in the Mk6...

Regards,

- Anthony
    VW Tiguan 110TSI Life | Tungsten Silver

Users Country Flag

A more balanced review here from Volkswizard. He compares a mild hybrid Style version with previous 7.5.
    MK8 VW GOLF : Detailed, HONEST, accurate REVIEW - YouTube