Thread: I know it's early days, but should I even consider a MK8 GTI?

I know it's early days, but should I even consider a MK8 GTI?

Howdy,

I'm having some doubt, I know its early days in terms of, Australian Specs aren't even released yet, although based on the offerings in Europe, i'm wondering if I should even consider a Golf 8 GTI.

I've recently just sold my mk7.5 GTI which was fully optioned. So the 'features' that I can see that are offered in Europe vs here over a MK7.5 would be:
    - HUD
    - 'Steering wheel heating'
    - IQ lights
    - Improved driver assistance (i.e oncoming detection).
    - CAR2X (which I think is a bit of a gimic... not going to lie)

The big thing that is leaning me towards another VW is the 'IQ lights' doing alot of night driving, and the 'driver assistance improvements', but the basics, I already had (i.e RCTA, BSA, Lane Departure, ACC). The thing is there is no other manufacturer in this segment that appears to offer the same 'value for money'. In terms of the golfs performance and technology combination, or am I missing something?

If im being honest, the look doesn't entirely appeal to me (the club sport front isn't so bad).

Ive had 3 VW's now, a 2013 TDI, 2 GTI's now, a 2015 MK7 and a 2018 MK7.5... so a little over golfs... and all of them having issues within the warranty period, I mean there was no issues with them getting fixed, it just makes you question the build quality....

If you were in my position would you consider another golf?

Of course you should consider it but it's a long time before it will be released in Australia.

Depends on how long you can wait.

I'd look at the i30N coupe or Civic Type R in the meantime.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Users Country Flag

Having over Xmas spoken to a friend living in Europe, who just bought a new Mk8, he raves over the improved driving experience, especially the improved handling and the ride/comfort adjustability. He also likes the new fully digital dash and hasn't had any issues with getting the settings right for his tastes. Car2X has saved him a couple of times with the freeway icing up, but the coverage is limited by the number of cars with it, which of course will improve over time. Styling wise the only thing he didn't like were the wheels so he upspec'd to the R's.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST