Thread: Golf R vs BMW 330i M Sport

Golf R vs BMW 330i M Sport

Hi All, been comparing two cars recently the MK8 Golf R wagon which is soon to be here and a BMW 330i M Sport. I know they are somewhat totally different cars but keen to hear what people think about the BMW. I’ve had a 7.5 R wagon before and leaning towards the MK8 R.

Downsides of the BMW - 3 year warranty, run flat tyres and they aren’t rotatable and also rear tyres are wider than the front but you can even rotate side to side. Even though German car they are assembled in Mexico.
    Other than that it drove really well.

Users Country Flag
    I wouldn't buy a car perceived as a luxury brand ever again. I've had BMW, Audi, Jaguar and Porsche. They attract the people with a huge chip on their shoulder.
    • I was front car at some traffic lights and a tradie with a case used it to scratch across my bonnet, right in front of me. I wasn't sure he'd done it, but saw it afterwards.
    • I had another lunatic following me. I parked outside the shop I was going to, and he parked right behind me. The look on his face was so evil and crazy, I got straight back in my car and drove off.
    • In another incident I had someone following me, again with a crazy face, so I drove around back streets, so realised he was determined. Eventually I got to some traffic lights where I was stuck. I saw him getting out of his car and crazily walking to my car. Just as he got near the boot of my car I drove through the red light, so was able to get away from him.

Be very happy with the Golf. It has amazing technology and build quality. I don't feel it's any step down from the luxury brands. It still looks stunning.

Golf VIII R-Line MY21.5 fully loaded – sunroof, sound & vision package (head-up display + Harman/Kardon stereo), Pomelo Yellow premium metallic – ordered 18/3/21, delivery due Aug 2021.
    Golf VII Comfortline DSG MY15.5 with revised Driver Assistance Package (upgraded with Blind Spot Notification and Reverse Cross-Traffic Notification).
    Golf IV Sport;
    Jaguar X-Type 2.5 V6; BMW E46 325Ci; Golf III CL; Audi A4; Porsche 928S3; etc.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Abr126 View Post
    Hi All, been comparing two cars recently the MK8 Golf R wagon which is soon to be here and a BMW 330i M Sport. I know they are somewhat totally different cars but keen to hear what people think about the BMW. I’ve had a 7.5 R wagon before and leaning towards the MK8 R.

Downsides of the BMW - 3 year warranty, run flat tyres and they aren’t rotatable and also rear tyres are wider than the front but you can even rotate side to side. Even though German car they are assembled in Mexico.
    Other than that it drove really well.
    On the run flat tyres, I replace them on Day 1 with "normal" tyres, cost is next to zero as the tyre retailer resells them. I also have a BMW spare wheel & tyre (skinny type) that I bought from a BMW dismantler which has moved from car to car, twice now.

Currently the BMW 3 year warranty makes them a no go zone for me as I keep my cars for ~5 years and I have told my local BMW dealer that that is the reason why I currently have a Golf and a Gti. He has offered me free 2 year "aftermarket" warranty, so worth keeping in mind when bargaining (just read the terms and conditions carefully).

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST