Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf R VIII - Ownership First Impressions

Users Country Flag

Golf R VIII - Ownership First Impressions

I just receive my new Golf R.

My first impression about the car: it is even better that I was expecting! It is really amazing and everything that you heard about driving the Golf R, it is true!

My complain is about the UX. I am not talking about the screen or the touch elements but about behaviors that I am struggling.

- Example: I can not set the default drive mode. Every time that I start the car, its set to “Sport Mode”. The sport mode is fantastic but not for a daily drive. The steering heavy and the hard suspension is really not what I am expecting for my day by day. I can keep changing it every day, but it is a very bad experience.

- 2I would like to hear your impressions about the car.

just to inform that I am reporting this "drive mode" inconvenience to VW quality team.

I believe if 5 more people send an email asking for them to allow us to set the default "drive mode", they can do it by a software update very quickly.

If you agree and can help me, please send an email to Mayra C. at vwcustomercare@vw.com asking for that.

Thank you
    Last edited by zappat; 18-02-2022 at 07:04 AM.

Users Country Flag
    I'm going in to check out a R next week, but I think I'm going to order one anyway.
    The drive mode reverting to Sport is a big one for myself and my partner. We daily to work and I like sport, she likes comfort. But it I am running some weekend errands I'll want comfort.
    I'll pop an email off. Seems a common request so I'm thinking we'll see it in a new update.
    2018 Golf GTI DSG (DAP LUX INFO R-TAILS)

Hi.
    I sent an email to VW customer care on behalf of my daughters Tiguan R which also defaults to ‘Sports mode’, and for myself as im expecting delivery of my Golf R mid July.
    Fingers crossed !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf R VIII - Ownership First Impressions

Ive had my Golf R 4 days and love it !,
    However, no spacesaver which i was aware of, but a bit surprised no jack supplied neither. My daughters Tiguan R same scenario, but a jack was supplied.
    Also, the tyre placard / sticker supplied is for 18” (225/40/1 wheels, NOT for the 235/35/19” as fitted.
    Can someone else who has one please check what’s fitted to theirs ?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I finally got my MK8 R a few weeks ago. Default to sports mode doesn't bother me (although I wish it would remember), I don't find it overly stiff or anything.

My tyre sticker shows both 18/19 specs but I can see there was a sticker removed and this one is new.

So far I am loving the car. There are some minor rattles and creaking which I think is the window seals. I just got tint and it has improved a bit. I will wait a bit longer before speaking to the dealer. From what I read you can put some stuff in the window seals to help

Users Country Flag
    I am fully run in now and the car is going great. Cleaning window seals and settling in after window tint and the rattles are gone. The creaking I have narrowed down to leather seat in the back but that should settle down and I might put some leather care products in between where they fold to see if that helps but it doesn't bother me.

Very powerful acceleration and exhaust sounds are fantastic and getting better. From what I have read we are actually lucky as we get the non-OPF particulate filter version so the exhaust sounds are better.

Users Country Flag
    Turns out the creaking was the top door seal squeaking with the car. I inspected closely and there was lots of ceramic paint protection residue on the inner door area. I cleaned that all off and wiped down the felt part of the door seal where it contacts the car and now I am squeak free! Completely silent cabin, I'm sure it won't last forever but it's good at the moment.

I have no issues with the build quality at all, rear door plastics are the same as my Tiguan, but who cares about that! Interior has many improvements over previous gen. The seats and steering wheel are amazing.

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mdez View Post
    From what I have read we are actually lucky as we get the non-OPF particulate filter version so the exhaust sounds are better.
    Correct, no OPF for Aussie models which is a win all around - more exhaust noise, less exhaust restriction and 1x less expensive thing to go wrong in a few years time.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Correct, no OPF for Aussie models which is a win all around - more exhaust noise, less exhaust restriction and 1x less expensive thing to go wrong in a few years time.
    The only downside is that it is tuned for 400nm instead of the 420nm of euro spec. I assume this is because they mandate 98 fuel whereas we can use 95.

I am really looking forward to being able to tune anyway so not having the OPF will be preferred anyway compared to the 20nm reduction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast