Thread: Golf R Prototype

Golf R Prototype

Just saw this video. Had a few prototype Golf 8s and looks like a pretty complete Mk8 Golf R.

YouTube
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Users Country Flag
    hmmm......... A nice looking car - but I'd want to know more about VW's new so-called Vehicle Diagnostic Protection - which has the manufacturer's associated three-letter-acronym, SFD (Schutz Fahrzeug Diagnose) before handing over my hard earned Ss

Volkswagen AG will introduce the new SFD procedure with the MQB37W platform build model: the Golf 8.

Not much in the public domain about SFD, but it it appears to be a meld of 5 x digit security codes and Component Protection, but applied to a wider range of control modules in the car.

Again, I'm guessing but based on the scant iformation currently available it seems that for anything more than a basic oil change, anyone doing work on the car will need to be registered with the Volkswagen AG portal. Not sure what this means for independent workshops and for anyone that doesn't pay VW for their official ODIS diagnostic equipment (which ain't inexpensive).

Here is extract from VW that explains the extent of SFD:

• In order to utilise the SFD procedure, it is necessary for users to be registered in advance on the SFD back
      end.
    • The protection requirement will be defined for specific control units and diagnostic objects.
    • The protection requirement is limited to specific writing services (codings, adjustments,
      parametrisations) and routines.
    • Normal reading services (e.g. readout of control unit event memories) will not be SFD-protected.
    • The functions of data string downloading with boot loader data strings, flashing and/or update programming as well as flash data security are also not affected by SFD

I guess it's OK if the thought of ALWAYS using dealer repair services (for the life of the car) isn't a problem - but more information is needed about SFD (I think)

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Found this one the other day the new GTI looks sweet but we will have to wait until years end for it .carsales.com.au - Volkswagen Golf 8 Preview | Facebook
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 08-05-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    hmmm......... A nice looking car - but I'd want to know more about VW's new so-called Vehicle Diagnostic Protection - which has the manufacturer's associated three-letter-acronym, SFD (Schutz Fahrzeug Diagnose) before handing over my hard earned Ss

Volkswagen AG will introduce the new SFD procedure with the MQB37W platform build model: the Golf 8.

Not much in the public domain about SFD, but it it appears to be a meld of 5 x digit security codes and Component Protection, but applied to a wider range of control modules in the car.

Again, I'm guessing but based on the scant iformation currently available it seems that for anything more than a basic oil change, anyone doing work on the car will need to be registered with the Volkswagen AG portal. Not sure what this means for independent workshops and for anyone that doesn't pay VW for their official ODIS diagnostic equipment (which ain't inexpensive).

Here is extract from VW that explains the extent of SFD:

• In order to utilise the SFD procedure, it is necessary for users to be registered in advance on the SFD back
      end.
    • The protection requirement will be defined for specific control units and diagnostic objects.
    • The protection requirement is limited to specific writing services (codings, adjustments,
      parametrisations) and routines.
    • Normal reading services (e.g. readout of control unit event memories) will not be SFD-protected.
    • The functions of data string downloading with boot loader data strings, flashing and/or update programming as well as flash data security are also not affected by SFD

I guess it's OK if the thought of ALWAYS using dealer repair services (for the life of the car) isn't a problem - but more information is needed about SFD (I think)

Don
    Without knowing all of the details it's hard to rationalise, but if it goes too deep it will be illegal, as it will be deemed a restrictive trade practice.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST