Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf Mk 8 GTi Reviews

Users Country Flag

Golf Mk 8 GTi Reviews

Sounds good, but a key area...

“Apart from delivering Australia the latest engine technology, there isn’t much more you could ask from the new Volkswagen Golf GTI.”

Anyone else think we’re missing out on a lot here??
    MY16 MK7 Golf GTI
    - Manual - Sunroof - Folding Mirrors - Lock/Unlock Chirp - 4x Indicator Flash - Traffic - MK7.5 LED Tail Lights with Sweeping Indicators - Dynablink Sweeping mirror LEDs - White LED's on rear rego plate -

We are getting the short end from the VAG in a few ways now and into the future, because they don't NEED to give us the same tech for emissions and fuel economy reasons.

The Skoda Karoq loses the 1.5 and DSG for the old 1.4 and a torque converter. The Golf never saw the 1.5 and still won't next year with the MK8, which will also go to a torque converter for the regular cars.

The GTI TCR, when they eventually arrive, go back to a 6 SPD DSG and lose a bit of torque compared to overseas.

Australia is where car companies can put the low tech stuff so they can save the new stuff for markets that demand it.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Users Country Flag
    Can’t say I’d be upset at missing out on a PPF - sure they supposedly regen more easily than a DPF but no thanks..

The ‘latest tech’ has made the RS3 lose its appeal. Even Audi had the brains to take a pass for the R8 and stick with the ‘old tech’ for Australia because R8 buyers are ‘all about the engine’.

Certainly a boost for 2017-2018 RS3s which is where I’d head if I wasn’t divorced first.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Somehow I can’t get the link to work. I keep getting an error message.
    Anyway if you would like to see a video review from our favourite Polish/German car reviewer go to

autogefuhl on YouTube.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalgam View Post
    Somehow I can’t get the link to work. I keep getting an error message.
    Anyway if you would like to see a video review from our favourite Polish/German car reviewer go to

autogefuhl on YouTube.
    Thomas is great.

VW Golf 8 GTI FULL REVIEW - driving the Mk8 Golf GTI 2021 - Autogefühl - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 MY18 R 7.5 Wolfsburg | Blue| Sunroof | Finally here! And it's goddam goood!
    2010 Mazda 6 | Luxury Sports | White : Sold
    2009 | 335i | Convertible | Grey : Sold
    2006 Jetta TSI DSG | Highline | Silver : Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T. View Post
    Thanks for that.

The negatives are outweighing the positives at this stage.

That software decision blunder is a safety hazard...very big let down.
    MY16 MK7 Golf GTI
    - Manual - Sunroof - Folding Mirrors - Lock/Unlock Chirp - 4x Indicator Flash - Traffic - MK7.5 LED Tail Lights with Sweeping Indicators - Dynablink Sweeping mirror LEDs - White LED's on rear rego plate -

Users Country Flag
    This is year 8 with Golfs and Polo's and I have never changed the temperature once, it's on 22 degrees and it stays there. I use Apple car play so Siri adjusts everything I need audio wise, I can't remember the last time I used the VW's ICE controls. Swapping comfort to sport settings I almost always select when I get in the car, very rarely play with them on the move. Cruise control is probably the only control I use regularly whilst driving. Of course I fiddle around with the "toys" before I settle on what settings I like, but that soon wears off. I buy GTi's for their performance and handling, their ability to be a daily driver and at the same time a Sunday driver's car. From the reports so far it seems the Mk8 is noticeably better in the things that I like and use and maybe not as good in the things that I don't car much about. So I have one firmly on my list.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

It is funny how people like to express their dislike on things before they have used or bought a car. It appears people who hate a technology such as Start/Stop for instance know more than those already driving the car and how they absolutely must turn it off straight away. When electronics in cars began to appear everyone lamented the loss of the simple car but try turning that back and there would now be a riot. I will leave the room now as I know the instance I illustrated will be unpopular.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast