Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golf Mk 8 GTi Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Amalgam View Post
    Thanks for that. Everything seems very refined again. I bet it’ll drive nicely.

But those touch screens are what other manufacturers apparently tried & reneged on in their next model, due to lack of tactile response, which is essential in a car.

I know in my current MK7, I dread touching the screen for too long as I often miss the function I want to select due to bumps in the road/suspension. I need to stabilise my hand with one finger on the dash as a ‘floating’ hand moves around too much with the car’s movement.

If every function in the MK8 requires touch screen interaction, then it’d drive me insane...
    MY16 MK7 Golf GTI
    - Manual - Sunroof - Folding Mirrors - Lock/Unlock Chirp - 4x Indicator Flash - Traffic - MK7.5 LED Tail Lights with Sweeping Indicators - Dynablink Sweeping mirror LEDs - White LED's on rear rego plate -

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    It is funny how people like to express their dislike on things before they have used or bought a car. It appears people who hate a technology such as Start/Stop for instance know more than those already driving the car and how they absolutely must turn it off straight away. When electronics in cars began to appear everyone lamented the loss of the simple car but try turning that back and there would now be a riot. I will leave the room now as I know the instance I illustrated will be unpopular.
    I'm in the middle - I think the final set up in the Mk7 was a good balance.

The look of the current high end Audis with all screens looks amazing, a bit less so on the Mk8 design. However I'd still prefer my HVAC controls as they are now - but admit it would not be a deal breaker and I'd get used to it.

As for stop/start - always turned off. Only exists to assist in the fuel cycle tests, and annoys me no end in real life.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    Yeah Thomas is great and very reserved in his criticism usually, so when he says he hates the touch screen system and shows how slow to respond it is, that puts myself and my wife off the Golf 8 big time. Perhaps in a couple more years they will sort it out, but my wife has gone from "must have a Golf 8" to "I don't want a Golf 8". It's also amazing how car makers keep adding touch screens when they are very hard to use while on the move. I've got the 9inch in my Passat and it really is not easy to hit the right spot with your finger while driving.
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
    Yeah Thomas is great and very reserved in his criticism usually, so when he says he hates the touch screen system and shows how slow to respond it is, that puts myself and my wife off the Golf 8 big time. Perhaps in a couple more years they will sort it out, but my wife has gone from "must have a Golf 8" to "I don't want a Golf 8". It's also amazing how car makers keep adding touch screens when they are very hard to use while on the move. I've got the 9inch in my Passat and it really is not easy to hit the right spot with your finger while driving.
    Exactly mate. VW have taken a massive step backwards here. Interaction with your car is a big deal & it needs to be as safe/seamless/tactile as possible. Your eyes need to be on the road, not on your screen as you navigate menus....
    MY16 MK7 Golf GTI
    - Manual - Sunroof - Folding Mirrors - Lock/Unlock Chirp - 4x Indicator Flash - Traffic - MK7.5 LED Tail Lights with Sweeping Indicators - Dynablink Sweeping mirror LEDs - White LED's on rear rego plate -

Decent review...Mirrors many out there - great drive, poor internal controls.

Volkswagen Golf GTI (Mk review | is it the best GTI yet? - YouTube

& another...Loves the car & sees no issue with no improvement in power...But preferred buttons on the internals.

The chore of selecting sports mode is comical...7 taps minimum (but after mis-tapping, it’ll be more).

FIRST DRIVE: New VW Golf GTI Mk8 2020: In Detail, Interior, Full Driving Review (4K) | Top Gear - YouTube
    Last edited by Ralfi; 12-10-2020 at 05:03 PM.
    MY16 MK7 Golf GTI

Users Country Flag

Racingline GTI review New Blog: new Golf 8 GTI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12