Thread: Golf 8 R 20 Years announced

Users Country Flag

Golf 8 R 20 Years announced

Anniversary Golf 8 R 20 Years has been announced

Entdecken Sie die VW R-Welt: Mit den R-Modellen & R-Line
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

Users Country Flag
    https://www.drive.com.au/news/2022-v...ia-by-october/

What were they thinking with the blue wheels They look terrible.

The only desirable feature for me with this special edition would be the Akrapovic rear muffler. Big turn off will be the PPF (petrol paticulate filter) which the current Aussie Mk8's do not have. Remapping of the engine/gearbox is void in my opinion as I would get aftermarket tuning anyway.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I'd buy 1 if it came in a manual .....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    I'd buy 1 if it came in a manual .....
    The lack of manual is a real shame. I know the vast majority want DSG/automatic these days, but the fact that it is no longer even an option is really sad.

And to make things worse, the pathetic little gear selector you get just looks ridiculous.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The lack of manual is a real shame. I know the vast majority want DSG/automatic these days, but the fact that it is no longer even an option is really sad.

And to make things worse, the pathetic little gear selector you get just looks ridiculous.
    VW North America put their foot down and demanded a manual .... and guess what ... VW is building MK8 Rs in a manual for the North American market, so it can be done.

VWA, make it happen, even if only as a special order. I'd place the order tomorrow.

Otherwise, if I'm forced to buy a steerer's car (not a driver's car) I'll be buying from another German brand ...
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag

I gather various safety and other driver features can't work with a manual. Even in Europe (where manual transmission cars are much more popular than here), car sales are having a massive change to DSG or automatic transmissions. They're predicting manual cars will be a thing of the past with future safety regulations.

BTW, this week I hired a car which turned out to be an MG ZS chinese car. I was quickly shocked when the lane assist function was missing, and the manual steering seemed like about 5 turns lock to lock. The engine and transmission reminded me of a 1980's Ford Falcon, but rougher. No climate control, of course. The cruise control wasn't adaptive (so it wanted to go into the back of slower cars on the freeway), and was on a separate stalk next to the turn signal stalk. Therefore, several times I was indicating a lane change instead of changing the cruise control speed. Alternatively I'd change lanes, but hit the wrong stalk and it changed the cruise control speed instead of indicating!
    The rough, noisy engine didn't switch off at traffic lights, and with the amount of fuel it was using, I could almost watch the petrol gauge go down
    The tailgate handle seemed to be a copy of the VW's badge-flipping design (and I wouldn't be surprised if the rear view camera is also in there). The door handles looked to me like the Golf mk7 design.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 04-06-2022 at 02:41 PM.
    Golf VIII R-Line MY21.5 fully loaded – sunroof, sound & vision package (head-up display + Harman/Kardon stereo), Pomelo Yellow premium metallic (a.k.a. Lime Yellow in most markets) – ordered 18/3/21, delivered 17/8/21.
    Previous VW group cars: Golf VII Comfortline DSG MY15.5 pacific blue; Golf IV Sport MY04 reflex silver with sunroof; Golf III CL bahama blue; Audi A4 MY95 tornado red; Porsche 928S3 MY85 guards red with sunroof.