Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf 8 Premiere

Users Country Flag

Golf 8 Premiere

So many engine options, but knowing VW Australia we get fraction of them.

Users Country Flag
    New Volkswagen Golf Mk8 revealed - motoring.com.au

Despite all the powertrain advances for Europe’s Golf 8, Volkswagen Australia has confirmed the version to be launched Down Under in late 2020 will continue with a 110kW/250Nm 1.4-litre turbo-petrol 110TSI engine.

Among its new technologies will be wireless Apple CarPlay and the availability of a head-up display and new 10-inch infotainment touch-screen.

The new Volkswagen Golf GTI is likely to be launched alongside mainstream versions of the new Golf 8 here from late next year, but from launch it too will be limited to a carryover engine for Australia — in this case the same 180kW/370Nm 2.0-litre turbo four that powers the current Golf 7.5.

After 6 x VW's in the family (5 x Golf's and 1 x Polo) this basically kills off the plans to replace 2 of them next year with MK8's. There simply isn't enough advancement in them to be attractive. The "constantly connected" is a pipe dream for Australia, I can barely maintain a mobile conversation for the 25 k's drive to work without drop outs. And it's not going to get any better with microwave 5G.

Started looking at alternatives over the weekend, the Volvo S60 RDesign is the current preference.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    Caradvice and Carsguide said no new powerplants at all for Australia, so straight carry over of what we have now it would seem. I prefer the looks of the 7.5 so why wait for the 8? My wife's Golf 7 is due for replacement, we were thinking of waiting for the Golf 8 but now she's starting to thing of hybrid or PHEV because as she said, the next car can't use more fuel than the current (which is TDI and she regularly gets very low 4's)
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

Anyone know when the Mk 8 will be available in Oz?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by donweather View Post
    Anyone know when the Mk 8 will be available in Oz?
    not until late next year
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

Thanks

The new Golf is getting crappier and crappier in Australia.

Forget the engines overseas, we knew they were giving us the same engine and now we are getting a regular 8 speed torque converter automatic, which will be the Aussie combo.

Markets that need to meet more stringent emmision tatgets will get the better engines and gearboxes.

The "new" Karoq" has been downgraded with this combo, it used to actually have the 1.5 engine, but not anymore.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

VW like all manufacturers are constrained by the fuel in this country and the government point blank refuse to do anything about it. Funny thing about the change to a TC auto as I predicted this would happen about 6 months ago for a whole lot of reasons and I think the DSG will be quitely dropped as new models come into production. Actually a TC auto with a very low stall clutch is a damned nice thing to drive and there is very little performance loss if any at all. Most converters lock up around 1500 RPM and provide far smoother take off from stand still than any DSG.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    It’s VW Australia thing. They want to make job of ordering as simple and easy as possible.
    No engine choices and very limited colour options.
    Soon they will start losing customers who want the diesel option, as the other German carmakers offer diesel and BMW X3 might be what I’d replace our 2010 Tiguan TDI with, when that time comes.
    ....and they will have to wait 10+ years for me to step in their showrooms again.

Users Country Flag

While I sort of get limiting engines and options for support reasons in a relatively small market, but I never understand why colours are limited. I get that it might come with a 3 month+ wait, hell even a special *custom colour* fee to pick other things I think people would pay.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast